Jerry Jones: Dak Prescott has room for improvement

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“The big thing is, we all know there is room for improvement,” Jones said.
giphy.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope, he is just making a Jerry statement to the fans and media, softening the blow if you will, when he extends Dak.
I think every thing Jones says about any topic has less to do with 'softening the blow' for any consequences, created by his decisions and non-decisions, and more to do with:

a) providing fluff for talking sports heads to discuss the merits of his probable GM moves (#10,000th mission accomplished)
b) throwing constant gasoline on the fire of public opinion, which he always considers as very relevant and establishes excuses for himself that he is doing 'all that he can' as a GM

Bill Parcells gave the best advice for anything someone like Jones says: "Don't get sucked."

phildadon86

Reaction score
Just because he built a field in his yard to take pictures on doesn’t mean he has good work ethic.

But I do believe “work ethic” is lower down than things like talent, skill, mental skills, and unathletic ability on the “Reasons Dak Sucks” list.
Fair enough. I wasnt speaking about his football field btw.

I was speaking more to the story that came out his rookie year when the vets went to go see Kanye and invited Dak and he turned them down to study film.

Personally. I think Dak doesnt have the ability to go off script if a gameplan isnt working. (GB Game).

They tried to force the run for too long especially the first drive and when Dak and the O got punched in the mouth they never recovered. We have seen this movie before.

Either way. This was the year to go all in around Dak. Now we are stuck with another year of knowing the ending. If they would have done it last season we could at least try and trade him to move into the top 10 and snag one of the QBs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...y-jones-dak-prescott-has-room-for-improvement

“The big thing is, we all know there is room for improvement,” Jones said. “The thing that I would emphasize more than anything is that Dak has room for improvement. And not just the scheme around him, but Dak can improve. That’s a big plus, when you’ve been playing the game seven years and you, by assessment, have some room to get better in. He did this year, I expect him to do it next year and the next year.”
Jeruh is firing shots over the bow towards Dak. Thinking some how this is going to give him leverage in negotiating a new contract. Same reason, why without talking to anyone he over paid for Trey Lance.

We could have traded the 4th round pick and actually got us some help at LB, but he used it to send a message to Dak instead of helping the team fill a desperately needed hole.

Dak and his agent have all the cards. Jeruh has no leverage. Firing shots a Dak, in my opinion is not going to encourage him to take a team friendly deal.

Another factor Dak is not getting younger, does he even believe Jeruh can put a SB team together to help support his success. How do we even know Dak wants to extend his contract in Dallas?

His comment that we all have options, includes Dak. He has plenty of them.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dak and Super Bowl in the same sentence after the extension doesn't belong together. How many old washed-up vets can we get to fill the line up after the extension can Jerry find?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think every thing Jones says about any topic has less to do with 'softening the blow' for any consequences, created by his decisions and non-decisions, and more to do with:

a) providing fluff for talking sports heads to discuss the merits of his probable GM moves (#10,000th mission accomplished)
b) throwing constant gasoline on the fire of public opinion, which he always considers as very relevant and establishes excuses for himself that he is doing 'all that he can' as a GM

Bill Parcells gave the best advice for anything someone like Jones says: "Don't get sucked."
Well I believe that what you say is all tied into together when we actually listen to Jerry.
Fluff, soften, just a bunch of marshmallow talk and has been for quite some time now.

pansophy

Reaction score
this is all for contract negotiations, assuming he still intends to resign him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I believe that what you say is all tied into together when we actually listen to Jerry.
Fluff, soften, just a bunch of marshmallow talk and has been for quite some time now.
Agreed but I do not really think Jones cares enough how negatively his words are taken by his franchise's fans. He has repeated his fan 'PSAs' for decades. They are pretty much all the same.

He would change how he delivers information and the specifics of the information from what he is used to doing in the past if he did care. What he has been doing 'works' for him though. It is a common narcissism stance to be inflexible if there is not any reason to bend.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Oh great, just like Garrett was a head coach in training for years. Now our QB in year 8 needs improvement. I wonder if Jerry is coaching Dak up, the way he did Garrett.
yep, Jerry and I would hate for another team to benefit from jerry training him.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
The name-calling is childish but I agree some teammates are probably disappointed
The name calling isn’t childish because people do it all time regardless of age when frustrated or not liking a person.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Man, f-bomb Jerry. Worst owner/GM in the NFL. The only owner/gm who makes one individual responsible for the team's success. No other owner puts it on one guy. I've gone from someone who used to defend Jerry and his desire to win to totally hating him and his insistence on being in charge.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Every QB has room for improvement..........not sure how many remember Romo would tell us every year that he tweaked a little part of his game as he would put it. Interestingly he would never tell us how or what, only we would see when the season starts. So this is nothing new but IMO Jerry sending a message to Dak and Todd France ........he ain't as good as he thinks he is.

Know this .......Jerry's is not just speaking Jerry. He is speaking for McCarthy and everyone else in the organization.

Sidenote.......complete speculation on my part but IMO something happened with Dak and his teammates the week of preparation before the Packers game. Maybe he didn't prepare as hard as some thought he should but again I don't know but what I do know is HE WAS NOT PREPARED to play the Green Bay game from the go, as in the first play. He and the offense were out of sync from play one, they had no clue. It was obvious they took the Packer light and/or spent the week reading their clippings. Of course, then D wasn't much better but this is about Dak his "improvement".

This is the comment from CeeDee's mom (after the Packer game)......clearly questioning Dak's work ethic and CeeDee was so ticked off after the first series In the Packer game, that McCarthy had to calm him down. We can call her crazy, drama queen or whatever but she has an ear directly inside that locker room ( her son, other teammates, their wives/girlfriends or parents )

"They need to get rid of his a**!" Ramirez wrote before accusing Prescott of not wanting a ring, saying that other Cowboys players work hard for a ring and that her son "deserves better."

Bottom line ........when you compartmentalize his last game, Jerry's comment, attacks from teammates' relatives, and his upcoming extension, it makes you wonder if, behind closed doors, he is losing the locker room a bit.
But Romo didn’t have an issue reading or processing a defense. Those improvements Romo discussed were about his throwing motion and delivery from different angles. What he did say happened was that the game slowed down for him, I don’t think Dak is going to have that happen at this stage though has it appears he does struggle with coverages and reads which causes him to panic.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I'd give him 75 million, it will make him play better in the playoffs. He needs the extra 15 million for the playoffs, 60 million only gets him through the regular season.

Let’s throw in another 5 million so in case he panics he can relax knowing that he’ll be able to buy a few more LV bags.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Dak will be here until he is 40 and after that he will be a coach here.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The biggest improvement Dak needs to make is on his reading defenses. The mental side of the game. Yes he is also slow, lethargic in the pocket and has a weak arm and can't go deep. But his only improvement comes from lots and lots of film study on his own in the off season on defenses that have given him trouble in the past as well as his pass progressions.. He is too lazy to do this so he is not getting any better year after year. He is what he is.... Going into his 9th freaking year is way too late to break old habit of being lazy.