Jerry Jones has done a masterful job as GM

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Before you bash this post based on its title, please read it first.

I think Jones has dome a great job as GM because he did everything he needed to do this offseason - re-signed the right players, etc. - and he has continued it since.

First, let's credit Jones for another good pre-draft free-agency-period, and for a good draft, because he was a big part of the decision making and wheeling and dealing.

It's rumored Jones somewhat considered Mendenhall at RB but "Red" talked him into Felix Jones. While it was a great pick, we still need to credit Jerry Jones for hedging this bet, and the gamble he took on Barber starting - a gamble because Barber had not started a season before that - and drafted Tashard Choice. With Felix Jones injured, we now need choice to spell Barber, like Mendenhall would have, with a north-south runner; thanks to Jerry Jones for filling this need.

Let's also credit Jerry Jones for working up the upgrade at the TE position, by dumping Anthony "the fat between Parcell's ears" Fassano, and upgrading the position substantially with Bennett. I'm sure Witten's ribs thank Jerry Jones every day lately for this move, and if not, the TE coach, "Red's" little brother, and “Red” himself, should! Again, credit the GM, Jerry Jones for this key upgrade to the offense.

And since the draft, after preseason was over, it was Jerry Jones who’s job it was to recognized that the team was thin on the OL-depth-chart, so he signed Holland. Holland is now needed, and he has stated many games before for two other clubs. To make that kind of an upgrade along the OL that late into the preseason was simply a masterful move, whether you can admit it or not. Cudos is also deserving to Jones for not falling into the love-trap with McQuinstain, and knowing early on Proctor or the other youngsters would not be the answer.

Jones deserves the same credit with respect to the WR position by bringing in Roy Williams once it became clear the safety-valves we has slotted in at the position played like broken levies. Again, credit the GM.

I can go on and on, but why? It's really obviouis that Jerry Jones has done a masterful job as GM. JNHO

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2444658 said:
Cudos is also deserving to Jones for not falling into the love-trap with McQuinstain ...

:eek:

Alweezy

Reaction score
it is also jones masterful insight which left this team with no viable option behind tony romo.

After all we had been through with Bledsoe and Testaverde you would have thought he would know better than to have a guy with the skillset of Brad Johnson on the bench. That error is going to haunt the Cowboys for the rest of this season.

Yes Jerry has done well but we might have to put the annointing oil away for now.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I agree.

Jerry Jones can only provide the talent, the rest is up to Wade Phillips and the Players.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has made some missteps, but I think he's done a fine job since 2002.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
zrinkill;2444695 said:
Oh Lord ...... this is gonna be a 6 pager at least.
I want in on page 1.

I agree with the OP. The GM's job is done in the off season and he did it. Everything we could have asked for we got. Is everything perfect? No, but it isn't on any team in the NFL and it is never going to be.

Perfection expectations of any human being are stupid. It isn't possible. There is no one who could be hired as GM who would do the job perfectly. Maybe that person doesn't buy into Brad Johnson and we have a better backup QB, but what if that person didn't want Zach Thomas, or wouldn't go after Carlos Polk?

Hindsight is 20/20 vision. Jerry did a great job this off season. IMO.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Great OP, but why not list the man's work. Let the judging begin.

2006 FA Signing
Owens, Terrell
I'll credit all other 2006 signings and draft picks to Parcells

2007 Draft
RD1 Anthony Spencer
RD3 James Marten
RD4 Isaiah Stanback
RD4 Doug Free
RD6 Nick Folk
RD6 Deon Anderson
RD7 Courtney Brown
RD7 Alan Ball

2007 FA Signings & Trades
Davis, Leonard
Hamlin, Ken
Johnson, Tank
Johnson, Brad

2008 Draft
RD1 Felix Jones
RD1 Mike Jenkins
RD2 Martellus Bennett
RD4 Tashard Choice
RD5 Orlando Scandrick
RD6 Erik Walden

2008 FA Signings & Trades
Jones, Adam
Thomas, Zach
Bollinger, Brooks
Holland, Montrae
Williams, Roy E.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Alweezy;2444703 said:
it is also jones masterful insight which left this team with no viable option behind tony romo.

After all we had been through with Bledsoe and Testaverde you would have thought he would know better than to have a guy with the skillset of Brad Johnson on the bench. That error is going to haunt the Cowboys for the rest of this season.

Yes Jerry has done well but we might have to put the annointing oil away for now.

Boy that annointing oil cliche is wearing thin. By the way it was Wade and Garrett that advised Jones to keep Brad Johnson because of a good preseason. Up until that point he was a proven backup for other teams with Superbowl experience.

Also I don't know of any owners and GMs that are clairvoyant or have a perfect decision record over 2 decades.

We don't know being stuck with Brad Johnson is going to haunt the Cowboys the rest of the season. It most certainly hasn't been an issue since Romo came back.

In hindsight, yes retaining Brad Johnson is a regretable decision now.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I might as well put my two cents in as well.

I think Jerry has done a great job of stacking this team with talent.

If he followed his coaches advice on Brad Johnson as the backup .... I do not see how we can complain.

The only thing I think he is still doing wrong is allowing it to seem as if the Coach is not really in charge.

I do not think there is actually much difference in power between what Parcells wielded and what Wade does ....... but the "appearance" is that Wade has less power.

Jerry should "take one on the chin" and make it appear that the head coach made a decision he does not agree with but had to go along with (instead of the opposite)

I would still not trade Jerry for anyone else.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Jerry has done a good job at aqurining talent....

HE HAS DONE A HORRENDOUS JOB AT GETTING A GOOD COACH AND STICKING WITH HIM. IF JERRY WOULD QUIT MEDDLING WITH THE HC's JOB I WOULD BE FINE WITH HIM AS A GM.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;2444719 said:
I might as well put my two cents in as well.

I think Jerry has done a great job of stacking this team with talent.

If he followed his coaches advice on Brad Johnson as the backup .... I do not see how we can complain.

The only thing I think he is still doing wrong is allowing it to seem as if the Coach is not really in charge.

I do not think there is actually much difference in power between what Parcells wielded and what Wade does ....... but the "appearance" is that Wade has less power.

Jerry should "take one on the chin" and make it appear that the head coach made a decision he does not agree with but had to go along with (instead of the opposite)

I would still not trade Jerry for anyone else.

What sane Cowboy fan would. Detractors are so quick to point out his mistakes or what they believe he should and shouldn't do as owner.

But they never tell you who they'd rather have own the Cowboys!

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
utrunner07;2444727 said:
Jerry has done a good job at aqurining talent....

HE HAS DONE A HORRENDOUS JOB AT GETTING A GOOD COACH AND STICKING WITH HIM. IF JERRY WOULD QUIT MEDDLING WITH THE HC's JOB I WOULD BE FINE WITH HIM AS A GM.

Again, who was he suppose to hire two years ago?

Also, Bill Parcells decided to retire, Jerry Jones really wanted him to continue coaching us.

Grevus

Reaction score
I would agree that Jones has done a good job over the last two years. Some of Cowboys acquisition and draft picks have worked out fairly well

Acquisition

Z. Thomas
L. Davis
R. Williams
K. Davis
Tank Johnson

Look at the Draft the last two years as well. A good number of players are making contributions. Some, more then others thou.

A. Spencer
I. Stanback
N. Folk

F. Jones
M. Jenkins
M. Bennett
T. Choice
O. Scandrick

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think he has done a good job during the offseason of late except for hiring Wade. Now, during the season, I think he has a negative impact on the team. He needs to back away and let the HC (even though he sucks as one) do his job and stop meddling with the players.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Grevus;2444735 said:
I would agree that Jones has done a good job over the last two years. Some of Cowboys acquisition and draft picks have worked out fairly well

Acquisition

Z. Thomas
L. Davis
R. Williams
K. Davis
Tank Johnson

Look at the Draft the last two years as well. A good number of players are making contributions. Some, more then others thou.

A. Spencer
I. Stanback
N. Folk

F. Jones
M. Jenkins
M. Bennett
T. Choice
O. Scandrick

Who cares what the hell you think Nick?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Yup all those wonderfull seasons with not even a playoff birth.
He would have been fired from any other team.
He owns it sooooo..............

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2444740 said:
Yup all those wonderfull seasons with not even a playoff birth.
He would have been fired from any other team.
He owns it sooooo..............

Those 3 Super Bowls and the current roster were worth it.

Would you prefer the Fords?