Jerry Jones has done a masterful job as GM

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Well as long as we continue to be part of a playoff futility club who's only other member is the Detroit Lions, then i can't really say Jerry has done even an average job as GM.

The Roster has turned over at least 3 times since 1996. We have had 4 coaches since Switzer. Free agent after free agent. More than a dozen crap QBs between Aikman, and geting lucky with Romo. Defensive scheme changed. Offensive sheme changed. And in all that time we still can't even win a wild card game.

The only constant throughout all of that is Jerry Jones.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2444747 said:
Those 3 Super Bowls and the current roster were worth it.

Would you prefer the Fords?

Those 3 SBs were the work of Jimmy Johnson who was running the show till Jerry's ego got in the way.

The current roster hasn't won jack **** yet.

Mash

Reaction score
Yeah... :rolleyes:

It was all Jimmy Genius....Jerry was just signing checks....

Funny how Jerry gets all the blame....but no credit whatsoever.....

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sorry... if you want to give him ALOT of credit.
You cant.

Since he has started meddling. We have netted very little.

We lucked into winning that 5th SB with Jimmy's crew.

After that....

All downhill.
All Jerry.

Now if he had won a SB with his meddling I would be first to give him credit.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Mash;2444784 said:
Yeah... :rolleyes:

It was all Jimmy Genius....Jerry was just signing checks....

Funny how Jerry gets all the blame....but no credit whatsoever.....

In my book, he gets credit for hiring Jimmy and paying the bills, but he almost screwed that up by not paying Emmitt, letting players like Norton get away and then hyper-reacting after he canned Jimmy by not respecting the coaching position and overpaying players that were past their prime. After seeing three super bowls come so easily, I believe he got cocky and thought he could do it again without having a strong coach and good player evaluation personel. He didn't realize how lucky he got to pull off the Herschal Walker trade as well as the luck involved in getting coaches and players to come together the way they did in the early 90's. This should be evident from the drought we've experienced ever since the talent pool completely drained from what was built when Jimmy and Jerry worked together. While it may have been better for the league as a whole, he screwed himself by getting the salary cap instituted. Imagine what could have happened had we not had to lose so many players because of cap limitations.

It looked like he finally learned his lesson and pushed his ego aside and hired Parcells and lo and behold we got good again. Then Parcells screwed him. Jerry should have created the position for him that he has in Miami now.

Jerry has done a lot of good things and he's better now than he's ever been and I agree with many of the positive things pointed out in this thread, but I still think that he:

1. Doesn't respect the coaching position and how important a chain of command is in any organization and how he knowingly or unknowingly undermines that coaches authority
2. I still think he has a fantasy football mentality and doesn't realize the value of the team concept and letting players go a year early rather than getting stuck with players past their prime that have signed huge contracts. If our player identification and development were better, he wouldn't feel the need to over pay players to keep them around. A good GM would have personel in place to make sure turnover is managed years in advance.
3. I also don’t believe he understands how all the distractions wear on a team and ultimately reflect on how they play on the field
4. I believe he wears too many hats trying to be the owner, oversee the building of a new stadium, play GM and micro manage his coaches

Lastly, I still can’t help but wonder if winning a Super Bowl without it being perceived as being done his way is enough to cause him to make the changes necessary to achieve success.

Somedays, I honestly think he should just go ahead and be coach too so he can prove to us all and himself that he or anyone can coach a team or possibly finally realize that he needs a good coach to do that job.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Alweezy;2444703 said:
it is also jones masterful insight which left this team with no viable option behind tony romo.

After all we had been through with Bledsoe and Testaverde you would have thought he would know better than to have a guy with the skillset of Brad Johnson on the bench. That error is going to haunt the Cowboys for the rest of this season.

Yes Jerry has done well but we might have to put the annointing oil away for now.

don't be assinine, the coaching staff is at fault, for having no viable backup for Romo.

Jerry and any other GM in any professional sport, go by what the their coaches said. I am sick and tired of people balming Jerry for the backup QB position. You people forget that he was going to sign a QB, Chris Simms, was one, but he was told that Brad could do the job, so Jerry listened to his coaching staff.

Now, Jerry will go off on his own and sign FAs that he wants on this team, example T.O., Roy Williams, Pacman, yeah he will do that. but 95% of the time he goes after what his coaches want.

BHendri5

Reaction score
It is so funny, How Jerry gets all te blame for things gone wrong. Jimmy he gets all the credit for the good.

How is that? When Jerry is the owner and GM, and Jimmy was just the coach.
Jimmy had a lot of authority true, but the bottom line is and was, that if Jerry did not sign off on anyone that Jimmy wanted it did not happen, same with Parcells.

Jerry is the owner and GM, and I like it that way just fine.

yimyammer

Reaction score
BHendri5;2444965 said:
It is so funny, How Jerry gets all te blame for things gone wrong. Jimmy he gets all the credit for the good.

How is that? When Jerry is the owner and GM, and Jimmy was just the coach.
Jimmy had a lot of authority true, but the bottom line is and was, that if Jerry did not sign off on anyone that Jimmy wanted it did not happen, same with Parcells.

Jerry is the owner and GM, and I like it that way just fine.

I think it's because Jerry was coming out of the oil business and didn't know squat and was willing to let Jimmy hire coaches, cut players and recommend trades. I do believe Jerry signed off on Jimmys decisions and maybe even suggested some, but in the end I think he deferred to Jimmy even though he was making the final call.

When Jimmy burned him at the post Super Bowl toast, Jerry got pissed and let the liquor and success go to his head and he fired the coach that not only insulted him but completely disrespected him.

I don't blame Jerry for getting angry, but even he says don't get mad with your money and that is basically what he did when he fired Jimmy after winning two super bowls in a row.

Succcess came so easy, he believed anyone could do it, or at least 500 other coaches could.

Something we're all forgetting is that we were VERY lucky to have so many pieces and circumstances fall right into place at the same time.

No coach, GM or owner can control luck

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Hostile;2444709 said:
I want in on page 1.

I agree with the OP. The GM's job is done in the off season and he did it. Everything we could have asked for we got. Is everything perfect? No, but it isn't on any team in the NFL and it is never going to be.

Perfection expectations of any human being are stupid. It isn't possible. There is no one who could be hired as GM who would do the job perfectly. Maybe that person doesn't buy into Brad Johnson and we have a better backup QB, but what if that person didn't want Zach Thomas, or wouldn't go after Carlos Polk?

Hindsight is 20/20 vision. Jerry did a great job this off season. IMO.

To Late for page one --but I agree with Hos

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Jerry has done a great job in getting us players... and coaches in some cases.

But RIGHT NOW.... we are a ship full of 1st mates and crewmen with no REAL Captain.... a rudderless ship if you will.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Well, I'm pleading the 5th for fear of being featured in the next episode of "Hard Knocks".

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
When was the last time a Jerry Jones Cowboy team won a playoff game?

That is the answer to the question many don't want to see made public

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
No playoff wins since 96 and no real threat since then either. Unless Jerry puts together a championship club pretty soon then my opinion will go down. Despite the fact that I do think he has done a good job since dumping Howdy and getting that fish guy in here.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I agree that he's done a great job the last few years but since the guy has made a mistake here and there, and hasn't been 100% perfect at his job, his haters are always going to hate on him and act like he's horrible.

It's just like the people who hate on Romo in the offseason cause he's dared to have a real life and is not spending 24/7, 365, with his nose in a playbook, watching film, throwing footballs, or something else football related.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
zrinkill;2444695 said:
Oh Lord ...... this is gonna be a 6 pager at least.

Well why don't you add some substance rather than trying to critique on 9 words alone???

I for one am not a Jerry basher. I see the lines in here are clearly drawn. I for one could care less about the fans who dislike Jerry. Screw em!

Jerry did a nice job last offseason with all of his acquisitions. Now the Cowboys just have to put it all together and continue what they have started since Tony Romo's return.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fletch;2445311 said:
Well why don't you add some substance rather than trying to critique on 9 words alone??

How bout you read the entire thread?

zrinkill;2444719 said:
I think Jerry has done a great job of stacking this team with talent.

If he followed his coaches advice on Brad Johnson as the backup .... I do not see how we can complain.

The only thing I think he is still doing wrong is allowing it to seem as if the Coach is not really in charge.

I do not think there is actually much difference in power between what Parcells wielded and what Wade does ....... but the "appearance" is that Wade has less power.

Jerry should "take one on the chin" and make it appear that the head coach made a decision he does not agree with but had to go along with (instead of the opposite)

I would still not trade Jerry for anyone else.

That long enough for you?

:lmao2:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2444714 said:
Great OP, but why not list the man's work. Let the judging begin.

2006 FA Signing
Owens, Terrell
I'll credit all other 2006 signings and draft picks to Parcells

2007 Draft
RD1 Anthony Spencer
RD3 James Marten
RD4 Isaiah Stanback
RD4 Doug Free
RD6 Nick Folk
RD6 Deon Anderson
RD7 Courtney Brown
RD7 Alan Ball

2007 FA Signings & Trades
Davis, Leonard
Hamlin, Ken
Johnson, Tank
Johnson, Brad

2008 Draft
RD1 Felix Jones
RD1 Mike Jenkins
RD2 Martellus Bennett
RD4 Tashard Choice
RD5 Orlando Scandrick
RD6 Erik Walden

2008 FA Signings & Trades
Jones, Adam
Thomas, Zach
Bollinger, Brooks
Holland, Montrae
Williams, Roy E.

Parcells didn't want TO. TO is here all because of JJ, from what I heard.

Only one player from the entire 2007 and 2008 drafts is not on the team! That is amazing. Can any other team match that? And PArcells and Ireland had nothing to do with the 2007 and 2008 drafts. All Jerry and Co.