Jerry Jones has done a masterful job as GM

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
Jerry is Jerry. Who cares how well he's done? He's going to own the Cowboys as long as he lives.

The draft was great, but the team is extremely thin on the OL and at backup QB. With an adequate backup QB, this team is 10-2 or 9-3.

Big Blue Joe

Reaction score
ninja;2450109 said:
Only one player from the entire 2007 and 2008 drafts is not on the team! That is amazing. Can any other team match that? And PArcells and Ireland had nothing to do with the 2007 and 2008 drafts. All Jerry and Co.
The Giants. But Jones has done a pretty good job of bringing in talented players for the Cowboys. He'd be one of the best GM's in the league if he could only find better coaches.

Deefens

Reaction score
Maybe one of the reasons the rookies and free agents are performing well is because of good coaching. I think we did a good job drafting talented high charachter players lately, but the coaches should get credit too IMO. 13-3 last year and this will be a big year too IMO. Injuries held up back. JMHO

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Deefens;2450322 said:
Maybe one of the reasons the rookies and free agents are performing well is because of good coaching. I think we did a good job drafting talented high charachter players lately, but the coaches should get credit too IMO. 13-3 last year and this will be a big year too IMO. Injuries held up back. JMHO

You also get better playing with good players. It helps younger guys see the vets doing it. One reason why it's so hard to change a losing culture. It's not all mental.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Jerry's only real personnel whiff -- and it was a big one -- that I blame him for was entrusting the backup QB position in Brad Johnson. Brad was notorious for looking bad in training camp but would do just enough in the preseason to keep the position. We had no other plan and were caught with our pants down for believing in a 40-year-old quarterback who looked horrid the last time he was a starting player (in Minnesota).

I don't place too much blame on him for the offensive line depth problems. He got Holland, who looks to be quite impressive. Marten and Free might have been whiffs. Procter and McQuistan were Parcells holdovers that haven't materialized entirely, though Procter is a decent backup center, no?

Otherwise, I think the Pacman thing could be something we look back on real negatively. In a sense, with Jenkins hurt, it's nice to have him coming back. At the same time, you wonder what it could do to the chemistry this defense is building. If Pacman comes in and throws thing off with his 'tude, you have to point the finger at Jerry for taking the risk on the knucklehead. Much like if it works out, you credit him.

But as has been widely stated, talent isn't this team's problem. If Jerry whiffed anywhere, it might be with the coaching staff post-Parcells. I find it interesting when you look at the organization how few coaches are left from the Parcells years. It would seem to be pretty rare to see a coach retire from a playoff team, leave pretty much his entire staff intact, and then see none of the coaches still on site two years later. I'm not sure the turnover in the coaching dept. hasn't hurt us negatively from a continuity standpoint.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ChrisCanty99;2450156 said:
Jerry is Jerry. Who cares how well he's done? He's going to own the Cowboys as long as he lives.

The draft was great, but the team is extremely thin on the OL and at backup QB. With an adequate backup QB, this team is 10-2 or 9-3.

First, Jerry probably listened to his coaches when it came to the backup QB. Johnson never looked awesome in his preseason time here, but he also never looked as bad as he played in those 3 regular season games either.

Second, how do you know a more "adequate" backup would have us at 10-2 or 9-3? Do you think somebody as good as Romo was out there to be his backup? Romo makes a HUGE difference for this team, an "adequate" backup might be better than Johnson, but they still couldnt do the things Romo does. We dont have the running game or OL a team like the Giants has, those are necessities for "adequate" backups to come in and drive the bus.

And for the OL, did the Cowboys or did they not address the OL by drafting a pair of offensive tackles last yr? Did they draft McQuistan 3yrs ago? Did they trade for Montrae Holland? Not every player a team drafts or acquires is going to be "good" or even "average" Overall, the talent level of this team is substancial, he has to be given credit for that. And Parcells had nothing to do with the drafts, trades or free agency adds thats been made th past two seasons.

He also should be given credit for one more thing. This team was a train wreck after the Rams game, especially defensively. Almost everyone thought Wade should be fired, but its very likely that Jones went to Phillips with an ultimatum in regards to taking control of the defense away from Brian Stewart, and the difference is VERY apparent.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
ninja;2450109 said:
Parcells didn't want TO. TO is here all because of JJ, from what I heard.

Only one player from the entire 2007 and 2008 drafts is not on the team! That is amazing. Can any other team match that? And PArcells and Ireland had nothing to do with the 2007 and 2008 drafts. All Jerry and Co.

How many of those should be on the team? Crappy measuring stick.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Jerry for any owner in the league. He filled in every hole he could and no I do not blame him for missing on Brad Johnson...I am sure his staff told him they felt confident enough in the guy for one more year, otherwise I guarantee Jerry would have found a backup QB....it really isn't that hard.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Seven;2450655 said:
How many of those should be on the team? Crappy measuring stick.

The only thing "crappy" is your idiotic response. Try thinking before posting.

Tell us, boy genius, who "should" be on the team.