"Jerry Jones is possibly the best owner In sports" say it aint so

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Id say he is the best owner in sports. Just not a gm and has an ego that wont let him let go of being the gm.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/files/2013/11/20131027_GAV_AW3_009_33955431-620x412.jpg

NJ22

Reaction score
From a player, not a fans, point of view. I would love to work for Jerry.

Exactly! I would LOVE to sit down and have a beer with Jerry. But I would hire just about anybody else to be the GM of this team. I guess we have to separate Owner/GM.

landroverking

Reaction score
Best owner in sports hands down.
Best GM? Not IMO
Cares the most about his players(yes)
Best for his players(no).

Nation

Reaction score
I never understood people saying he's a great owner but a bad GM. I consider accountability for player personnel and the hiring of the men who handle that job to be part of the Owner's responsibilities. He's great at being willing to spend money. He's great at providing a big budget for the team to work with. But picking the right man to shop for the groceries is also a giant part of the job for an owner.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I think Jerry gets, perhaps, the biggest pass in the history of professional sports given his track record. How can anyone argue that after Jimmy Johnson's influence Jerry has done anything remotely successful as a GM? It is 17 years with 1 playoff win people. Are you mad? If by great owner you mean, nice guy, builds a great stadium, pays his players well, keeps the team in the news (PROMOTER), I will say amen. If you mean doing what it really takes to win (FIRING YOURSELF AS GM), I say no. It is still possible, even with parity in the NFL today, to have an organization that produces consistent winning (can you say the Patriots?). Jerry has to get out of the mix on football matters but his ego won't allow it.

scottsp

Reaction score
I would go so far as to say that he is a great marketer of the brand and leave it at that. A football-first organization would not stand for the level of management we have seen here the past 17 seasons. Only a general manager with no one to answer to survives this long, and the owner would certainly be culpable if he did.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
For a minute there I thought the OP had started a thread using my post in another thread. HaHa.:confused:

Reaction score
I think Jerry gets, perhaps, the biggest pass in the history of professional sports given his track record. How can anyone argue that after Jimmy Johnson's influence Jerry has done anything remotely successful as a GM? It is 17 years with 1 playoff win people. Are you mad? If by great owner you mean, nice guy, builds a great stadium, pays his players well, keeps the team in the news (PROMOTER), I will say amen. If you mean doing what it really takes to win (FIRING YOURSELF AS GM), I say no. It is still possible, even with parity in the NFL today, to have an organization that produces consistent winning (can you say the Patriots?). Jerry has to get out of the mix on football matters but his ego won't allow it.
I have to say I agree with this.

In terms of marketing and promotion, there is nobody better. Maybe ever.

In terms of the football side of things, he's a failure. Robert Craft, the Rooneys, Pat Bowlan, Paul Allen and many others are far better. They hire a competent GM to handle the football responsibilities and back away to do their work.