"Jerry Jones is possibly the best owner In sports" say it aint so

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Ha Ha, somebody actually said it . . . . . . . . . . . .

I know its an article form 2008, but it was said. It was written.

"Though Jerry Jones is a bit crazy, he takes care of his players and is possibly the best owner in sports."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/86817-why-i-still-hate-the-cowboys

Best owner, yes, in terms of enthusiasm, being pro-active and living and breathing Cowboys. No one here should ever question his dedication tothe Cowboys.

It is in the area of being meddlesome in drafts and usurping coaches authority and some duties and being too out there with the media, he fail.

He is a mixed bag. If he stayed away from personnel I would be happier than a farmer with a farm subsidy check.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has disputed the "owner" status of Jethro, it is the GM status that bothers me and a lot of others. He is a big fan and good owner/marketer of the team, but he has completely failed his GM duties based on the team results and that is how coaches and GMs are measured, not by how many players or ex-players love you. Ironically, the BEST GMs keep a low profile, hardly do interviews and keep their player relationships on a business level---all contradictory to what Jerry does best.

FiveRings

Reaction score
He is a really good owner. I'd have to say Kraft is the best, but Jerry is a great businessman, which is essentially the criteria for owning a team. Where his weakness is, is in his GM position.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Best owner? Obviously I can't speak from experience, but it sure seems like it.

His GMing can certainly be improved.

He also seems like a cool "old guy" to hang out with, someone who takes care of his family and friends.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I have but one argument for those saying he's the best owner:

If he was the best owner, he would hire the best minds to operate the organization at it's highest possible level with his full support.

Is he doing that?

Did he hire the best GM in the business, no matter the cost and trickle that down all the way to the water-boys?

You know, to make sure he puts the best product on the field possible?

No?

Then he is NOT...

I repeat- He is NOT the best owner. Or he'd be doing everything within his power to make his team the best and him as GM is not cutting the mustard.

It's as simple as that. I don't care how much he smiles. I don't care how much his players like him and how much money he's willing to throw around.

He does NOT ensure that the best minds are in the correct positions to maximize the product in this day of parity.

Let's all get real clear on that. Being a FAN/OWNER does not mean he's great.

Reaction score
He also seems like a cool "old guy" to hang out with, someone who takes care of his family and friends.
He seems like a wonderful family guy. I wish he was my Grandpa.

The problem is that he doesn't know how to build a successful football team on the field.

Corso

Reaction score
I liked my last post so much (yeah, I wish I could "like" myself) that I'm reposting it for anybody... ANYBODY to argue it.

If he was the best owner, he would hire the best minds to operate the organization at it's highest possible level with his full support.

Is he doing that?

Did he hire the best GM in the business, no matter the cost and trickle that down all the way to the water-boys?

No?

Then he is NOT...

I repeat- He is NOT the best owner. Or he'd be doing everything within his power to make his team the best and him as GM is not cutting the mustard.

It's as simple as that. I don't care how much he smiles. I don't care how much his players like him and how much money he's willing to throw around.

He does NOT ensure that the best minds are in the correct positions to maximize the product in this day of parity.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked my last post so much (yeah, I wish I could "like" myself) that I'm reposting it for anybody... ANYBODY to argue it.

Is he doing that?

No?

Then he is NOT...

I think you didn't get much of a response because what you said can't be disputed.

Obviously a great owner wouldn't prevent his own team from winning. These guys are just looking for the right shade of lipstick to slap on that pig.

He has the potential to be a great owner.

His ego won't allow it.

Corso

Reaction score
I think you didn't get much of a response because what you said can't be disputed.

Obviously a great owner wouldn't prevent his own team from winning. These guys are just looking for the right shade of lipstick to slap on that pig.

He has the potential to be a great owner.

His ego won't allow it.

He has the greatest toy on Earth and he's going to play with his toy till he's 6 feet in the ground.
He bought it, I guess that's his right, and it's the reality of it all. Stinks...

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
If he'd just be the owner, we'd be a lucky fanbase. Unfortunately, he's addicited to high stakes fantasy football.

cutcaster-photo-800991172-Hammer-hitting-nail.jpg

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
He seems like a wonderful family guy. I wish he was my Grandpa.

The problem is that he doesn't know how to build a successful football team on the field.

Regarding the family guy label go out there & read some of the books on Jerry. There are a few. Let's just say his wife has the patience of a saint or she just doesn't care because he is a known skirt chaser.

He's probably good with his kids though. They seem to know who holds the golden key anyway.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
You could made a sound argument that he is the best owner. Since hes owned the Cowboys what team has won more Super Bowls? I guess it all boils down to who has delivered. Sadly, its been too long and the masses are growing restless. Honestly, his desire to be in the limelight doesnt really bother me but I would like it if he were to step aside from his GM duties.

visionary

Reaction score
I think Jerry gets, perhaps, the biggest pass in the history of professional sports given his track record. How can anyone argue that after Jimmy Johnson's influence Jerry has done anything remotely successful as a GM? It is 17 years with 1 playoff win people. Are you mad? If by great owner you mean, nice guy, builds a great stadium, pays his players well, keeps the team in the news (PROMOTER), I will say amen. If you mean doing what it really takes to win (FIRING YOURSELF AS GM), I say no. It is still possible, even with parity in the NFL today, to have an organization that produces consistent winning (can you say the Patriots?). Jerry has to get out of the mix on football matters but his ego won't allow it.

See, you and I can agree on something