Jerry Jones Latest Interview

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
tenor.gif

2IH.gif

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I recommend checking out his interview yesterday on the Fan 105.3. Really good stuff.

I have been critical of him over the years— and will certainly not agree with every decision he makes— but I heard some things from him yesterday that honestly deepend my respect for him as a man.

He talks about Garrett and LVE quite a bit— which was interesting— but I particularly loved his response when asked about his relationship with Randy Gregory. JJ basically says that what he loves about his work is all the relationships he has developed with people over the years. Very clear reminder to me of why so many in the organization love him despite the criticism he gets year in and year out.

Jerry is a good person, especially relative to many other wealthy people.

Both on a personal basis when he meets fans or deals with media people as well as his generosity.

The Salvation Army stuff is public but he has done a lot for individual people that is not publicized. Some of the stories are known by media and people around the team but Jerry does not want the stories to be made public. I the story that he bought a house for a family then there would be a million people asking for money.

He stopped to talk to me and my Girlfriend in training camp back in 1993. Jimmy was driving a golf cart to the field and Jerry was the passenger. Jimmy kept trying to drive off and Jerry insisted he wait while talking to us.

What's funny is that many sports fans in Dallas love Mark Cuban and hate Jerry. In person Cuban is an awesome person to most people. There are many stories about how he has screwed over small business people and employees.

It's also funny that people think Cuban is a financial genius and that Jerry is a hillbilly. In reality Cuban got rich by luck. He sold a tech company at the height of the dot com frenzy when some company's stock was literally doubling in value every few days. In 2018 that type of company would have been worth less than 10M but back then Yahoo paid several Billion for it instead of spending 6 months just developing their own version of the product. Since then Yahoo managed to become a minor player compared to Google due to poor management.

Meanwhile Jerry re-invented the business of the NFL and is a marketing genius.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Jerry is a good person, especially relative to many other wealthy people.

Both on a personal basis when he meets fans or deals with media people as well as his generosity.

The Salvation Army stuff is public but he has done a lot for individual people that is not publicized. Some of the stories are known by media and people around the team but Jerry does not want the stories to be made public. I the story that he bought a house for a family then there would be a million people asking for money.

He stopped to talk to me and my Girlfriend in training camp back in 1993. Jimmy was driving a golf cart to the field and Jerry was the passenger. Jimmy kept trying to drive off and Jerry insisted he wait while talking to us.

What's funny is that many sports fans in Dallas love Mark Cuban and hate Jerry. In person Cuban is an awesome person to most people. There are many stories about how he has screwed over small business people and employees.

It's also funny that people think Cuban is a financial genius and that Jerry is a hillbilly. In reality Cuban got rich by luck. He sold a tech company at the height of the dot com frenzy when some company's stock was literally doubling in value every few days. In 2018 that type of company would have been worth less than 10M but back then Yahoo paid several Billion for it instead of spending 6 months just developing their own version of the product. Since then Yahoo managed to become a minor player compared to Google due to poor management.

Meanwhile Jerry re-invented the business of the NFL and is a marketing genius.

Yah— never been a doubt about Jerry the business genius. Football acumen? Yes lol...

What I enjoyed about the interview yesterday was how down to earth JJ was and how he seemed to genuinely care about people. I guess I realized that I had been judging JJ the business genius on the following issues (these are my perceptions at least):

1. Cold, shrewd, classless and calculating when he fired Landry
2. Owner who valued his ego more than anything else when he and Jimmy broke up
3. Kind of a shmarmy car salesman schtick that over-promises to keep fans (ie ticket buyers) interested in his product

Yesterday’s interview showed me a side to his heart and philsophy that was genuine and generous. Made me appreciate him as a leader who has a heart and cares about his people...

Mannix

Reaction score
-------Always liked that about Jerry, he does care for his players, coaches, and employees

That is fine for an owner to be that way, but a GM needs to be a cold hearted bottom line SOB.

rags747

Reaction score
If I gave all y'all millions of dollars, you'd love ole CC long time too.

Booger has always had a big heart, which is why the Salvation Army is his choice for the team's charity, they specialize in saving souls down on their luck. people in need of second chances.

And I have never really hammered his GMing because he owns it, he can do what he wants with it and most of us would do the same. I have also taken exception with people blaming him for all the mistakes and then giving credit to someone else when something good happens. Blame and credit equally, if one or the other is applied.

He is an annoying and irritating person to look at or listen to and his constant spotlight seeking is pathetic. There is no reason to be the face and spokesperson of the team except for a needy ego. Not even Steinbrenner or Crazy Al took it as far as he has.

When I liked Booger the best was when those strippers showed up in the news and he was laying low. That one scene when he walked right past his own car when he was fumbling for answers is my favorite memory of him.
His team Jerry can do what he wants when he wants, I imagine you can doing the same in your life.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
JJ basically says that what he loves about his work is all the relationships he has developed with people over the years. Very clear reminder to me of why so many in the organization love him despite the criticism he gets year in and year out.

And a clear reminder of why Jerry sticks with inhouse coaching instead of upgrading. It's personal. It's a family business, and that attitude rubs off on other employees who are not family.

They knew Kellen Moore. They liked him. They post him to an important job way above his experience. Family plan.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It's also funny that people think Cuban is a financial genius and that Jerry is a hillbilly. In reality Cuban got rich by luck. He sold a tech company at the height of the dot com frenzy when some company's stock was literally doubling in value every few days.

Cuban is a guy that can be charming when he wants to, but your post is spot on. He was always known in Silicon Valley as the luckiest guy of the Internet Bubble because he sold a bunch of video servers to Yahoo at the absolute peak of the Bubble. The only smart thing he did was convert shares to cash as fast as he could.

And if you want public documents, read the SEC complaint about him dumping shares in a Canadian search engine. The SEC filed charges and he beat it, but his defense was the he was just a dirtbag stabbing the CEO in the back, not a criminal. That said, I've met people who worked for him that liked him and said he was good to work for. Everyone has good and bad sides, its funny to me that people don't see that in some people like Jerry Jones.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And a clear reminder of why Jerry sticks with inhouse coaching instead of upgrading. It's personal. It's a family business, and that attitude rubs off on other employees who are not family.

Plenty of NFL QB Coaches went directly from playing in the NFL to a QB job. Several years ago two of the three division rivals has QB Coaches who did that and the Commanders do now, except their QB coach went from playing directly to being a TE coach in his first job after playing. Its hardly unusual to do what Kellen Moore did.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I recommend checking out his interview yesterday on the Fan 105.3. Really good stuff.

I have been critical of him over the years— and will certainly not agree with every decision he makes— but I heard some things from him yesterday that honestly deepend my respect for him as a man.

He talks about Garrett and LVE quite a bit— which was interesting— but I particularly loved his response when asked about his relationship with Randy Gregory. JJ basically says that what he loves about his work is all the relationships he has developed with people over the years. Very clear reminder to me of why so many in the organization love him despite the criticism he gets year in and year out.

Hellz I'd love to be a player for Jerry Jones the owner. And he seems to be taking a back a seat a bit to lil Stevie and McClay on major personnel decisions.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yeah- I agree with you and always have. You see; Jerry wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He came up the hard way; therefore, he has a genuine respect for people. He knows what tough times are about. He's a good man in my book.
I dont know about his childhood, but his dad owned a store, and later had another business which made him a millionaire.
he then loaned jerry the money to start his business in ark.
So when your dad is a millionaire that isnt tough times.
As young guy jerry was going to buy the chargers, before he had his own business, and somehow qualified for a loan of 3 million dollars.
this was in the late 60's.
His dad didnt approve of the deal so he didnt go thru with it.

cern

Reaction score
You can put a ton of ex-players on that list also.......strangely you don't sense that same passion from Stephen.
Stephen is more concerned about what is best for the team. Not being the players bff. Landry didn't have dinner with his players.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Plenty of NFL QB Coaches went directly from playing in the NFL to a QB job. Several years ago two of the three division rivals has QB Coaches who did that and the Commanders do now, except their QB coach went from playing directly to being a TE coach in his first job after playing. Its hardly unusual to do what Kellen Moore did.

How many went from a short career as a PS squad level player to a QB coach?
How many had to coach up a young QB who regressed from Pro Bowl, best rookie season of all time, to meh struggling QB?

Have teams made worse hires before? Maybe.
But "he's not the worst hire ever" is not much of an endorsement. He was a completely unserious hire given how much we needed the best for Dak.

Kaiser

Reaction score
How many went from a short career as a PS squad level player to a QB coach?

A lot of the NFL QB coaches never played at all, much less played like Moore and developed a reputation as being extremely intelligent.

The Eagles QB coach never played and coached for 6 years before getting promoted to QB coach. The Giants don't have a QB coach. The Commanders don't have a QB coach but those duties are no doubt handled by Matt Cavenaugh, who went directly from playing to an NFL position coach position (TEs).

Kaiser

Reaction score
He was a completely unserious hire given how much we needed the best for Dak.

If he was an "unserious" hire, there would have been media commentary on it instead of all the articles saying he was very bright. And in terms of Dak Prescott, he lobbied for Moore. This was Dak's media quote:

“I’m a big fan of Kellen Moore,” Prescott said on the Newy Scruggs Show on NBC Sports Radio. “I pushed for that, and I know he helped me so much throughout the season, both seasons actually. He’s just so smart. I told him when he became a college coach and I had a kid, my son had no choice of who he was going to play for. I’m excited I get to play under him now, and I’m excited for him to take this role as a coach, and I know he’ll be really good at it.” “He’s so smart; he knows the game so well. He can only benefit me.”

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Winning is the most important thing to Jerry. Those who say otherwise, and there are alot of them, are just ignorant.

risco

Reaction score
I dont know about his childhood, but his dad owned a store, and later had another business which made him a millionaire.
he then loaned jerry the money to start his business in ark.
So when your dad is a millionaire that isnt tough times.
As young guy jerry was going to buy the chargers, before he had his own business, and somehow qualified for a loan of 3 million dollars.
this was in the late 60's.
His dad didnt approve of the deal so he didnt go thru with it.
Interesting- I’ve heard Jerry talk about his childhood and how he was the son of a bootlegger... don’t sound like a millionaire to me... but if you are correct and Jerry is still the way he is now then that makes him even more likable! Not many millionaires would care about people the way Jerry does.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
I have no question whatsoever Jerry is a genuine good guy. His son is too. Both good hearted people. What I question is their ongoing ability to manage this team from the top. But lets be realistic. Jerry paid for this team, he wanted to be involved, hands on and it is his right to do so. Whether we agree with it or not. Look how for years he would right up on the sideline during the end of games, as fired up as any player standing next to him. The man passionately wants this team to be successful, but we also as fans have a right to questions their skills to do so.

I look at what Jerry has built again right now and honestly it's not all bad folks. This team is coming around, we just need a top tier starting QB and this team is 10-2 or 11-1 right now. We have a SB caliber team in place right now, minus one position.