Video: Jerry Jones made a 50 million dollar mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Good job, Jerry. Hard to believe this organization hasn't played in a title game of any kind for 25 years. :muttley:

Some people say Dak lost leverage - he's got all the leverage now. He gets what he wants, or plays on the tag for $37M then becomes a free agent next year.
That is why we need to deal him away or just release him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yesssss...

Zoners finally starting to see it..

So many bad contracts already and a QB that doesn’t impact the outcomes of games wanting elite QB money.

Either avoid this or sign ourselves into mediocrity. Those are now the options.

Look around the league. When is a QB signed to an extension? After his third year. When was the last time a QB got his extension or new contract after the 3rd year? I can't think of any at the moment. There's only one reason Dak wasn't signed after 2018. Jerry had doubts. There's really not another realistic scenario. Of course signing him now will cost him money. IMO it's too late now.

No good scenario for the Cowboys now. Signing Dak long term is going to be a much bigger cap problem than it would have been had they signed him after 2018. You can tag him, but he doesn't have to accept any offers after he signs the tag. And let's face it, no one is signing him to 40 million a year and giving the Cowboys two first round picks. The Cowboys don't have the capital to move up to the 2 spot, nor should they try.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yep. I like Dak but it’s a bottom line business and he’s 6-11 his last 17 games.

That’s just not a 40 million plus correlation and he loses pieces around him he desperately needs.
The DALLAS COWBOYS are 6-11 the last 17 games. Really still dont understand this Dak lost games crowd. Football is the ultimate team sport.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Of course. However, that D is much harder to build w/ a cap strapping salary on your QB.
Not if you are good in the draft room. San fran had a QB making a lot of money. Had a few bad years and built the best D in the NFL capped off with Nick Bosa. Where did they end up again? Super bowl right?

Creeper

Reaction score
I can't blame Jerry for this completely because I am not sure I would have signed Dak for more than $35 million either. Dak is a good QB and the Cowboys have no one else, but that does not make is a top 5 QB or a guy who deserves $40 million. Sure Jerry screwed up. He screwed up by signing Zeke, Jaylon, DLaw and Cooper before getting his QB locked up. But at this point, I don;t see a good way to resolve the deadlock. Franchise Dak and see what they can get for him in a trade.

I heard on the radio that the Eagles are struggling to get a 1st round pick offer for Wentz. I heard Chicago and Indy are interested but Indy has indicated there will be no 1st round pick offered and Chicago is balking at that price too. I wonder if the Cowboys have gotten any calls already for Dak and what offers that may have received for him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The DALLAS COWBOYS are 6-11 the last 17 games. Really still dont understand this Dak lost games crowd. Football is the ultimate team sport.

No matter how many points the defense allows it is the QB's responsibility to score more, because that's how football works.

Lose 51-48? Romo's fault.
Lose 49-38? Dak's fault.

Defense and special teams are irrelevant to wins and losses, according to part of this fan base. :muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am concerned if there's going to be enough going on in the sports world after Prescott signs with somebody for these sports nets to carry on.

I think when he signs should be made a National Holiday and I will unretire just to take that day off.

irving

Reaction score
No matter how many points the defense allows it is the QB's responsibility to score more, because that's how football works.

Lose 49-38? Dak's fault.

Defense and special teams are irrelevant to wins and losses, according to part of this fan base. :muttley:
Some Cowboy fans don’t realize there are three phases to a football team.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Dak lost games fits their narrative better than the defense has been giving up 30 ppg. And Dak didn't even play in the last 11 of those .. And let's not even mention our Boy Wonder OC getting pantsed by every good DC he faces. But you aint hear dat from me.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Lose 49-38? Dak's fault.

You can't fix stupid..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can't fix stupid..

Let me give you some inside info about what us don’t pay Dak guys think....

We all agree it’s a team sport.

The difference is you pay Dak guys think Jerry Jones is capable of building what is required to win with a QB making that much money and we don’t.

It’s a team sport right?

You want your cake and eat it too. You believe in football utopia.

Ask Seattle how their rebuild is going with a better QB then Dak....

phildadon86

Reaction score
Let me give you some inside info about what us don’t pay Dak guys think....

We all agree it’s a team sport.

The difference is you pay Dak guys think Jerry Jones is capable of building what is required to win with a QB making that much money and we don’t.

It’s a team sport right?

You want your cake and eat it too. You believe in football utopia.

Ask Seattle how their rebuild is going with a better QB then Dak....
In your world Jerry actually cares about defense. lol. He had an opportunity to build when Dak was making 400k a year. He didnt. He paid the RB too early, he paid a mediocre LB. He should have paid the QB first. Now we are hamstrung by those contracts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In your world Jerry actually cares about defense. lol. He had an opportunity to build when Dak was making 400k a year. He didnt. He paid the RB too early, he paid a mediocre LB. He should have paid the QB first. Now we are hamstrung by those contracts.

Agree with all of that.

Dak not being signed is on Dak too..

Dallas has drafted defense btw.

But it hasn’t panned out.. When we hit on a guy like Byron Jones though this fan base is applauding his release while we give Cooper and Zeke all the money.

You will also be applauding the contract that screws this team over too with Dak while also wanting to make the excuse that the team around him just isn’t good enough.

You want your cake and eat it too.. Football utopia will not happen in Dallas. They need to get rid of the cap or Dak.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Agree with all of that.

Dak not being signed is on Dak too..

Dallas has drafted defense btw.

But it hasn’t panned out.. When we hit on a guy like Byron Jones though this fan base is applauding his release while we give Cooper and Zeke all the money.

You will also be applauding the contract that screws this team over too with Dak while also wanting to make the excuse that the team around him just isn’t good enough.

You want your cake and eat it too.. Football utopia will not happen in Dallas. They need to get rid of the cap or Dak.
Dak not being signed is on Jerry and Stephen. They should have paid him when Zeke held out. It would have sent a message. You dont let your QB get to FA because this is what happens. They knew where the market was headed and waited anyways. And we can draft defense i am not worried about getting good players now that Rod is gone.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Not if you are good in the draft room. San fran had a QB making a lot of money. Had a few bad years and built the best D in the NFL capped off with Nick Bosa. Where did they end up again? Super bowl right?

So DAL is screwed if they sign him. Unless you can point to an example of them being, "good in the draft room," on defense.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Perhaps the guy demanding elite money needs to be reminded of that?

So, let me get this straight. Just because a player asks for a certaing amount, the owners are obligated to give in to his demands? Players, are paid to play, not to do the owners job.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. Just because a player asks for a certaing amount, the owners are obligated to give in to his demands? Players, are paid to play, not to do the owners job.

I never said anything like that. I am merely pointing out that if the claim is that this is a team sport then the guy demanding elite money needs to be reminded of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.