News: Jerry Jones on Amari Cooper

irishline

Reaction score
Cooper's twice the receiver Gallup was, Gallup is a number 2 wr at best. He's Alvin Harper and Tony Hill at best. I don't trade Drew Pearson so I can sign Tony Hill. I don't trade Michael Irvin so I can sign Alvin Harper.

Fun fact, every year from 1978 until Drew Pearson retired after the 1983 season, Tony Hill had more receptions and more yards receiving. He appeared in more pro-bowls. He was for all intensive purposes 1A or the 1. In fact he had his best season in 1985 as the number one (with one Mike Renfro as the other receiver).

Love Pearson, don't get this post wrong, its not an indictment on him at all. He deserves to be in the Hall. But the underappreciation of Tony Hill, by many, for what he did and meant to this team is almost criminal. Point being, he is no Alvin Harper either.

Pearson: 11 seasons, 489 receptions, 7,833 yards, 48 TDs
Hill: 10 seasons, 479 receptions, 7,988 yards, 51 TDs
Seven of those season overlapped (77-83)

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
Coo

Coop is great but you simply can’t keep him at 22 million. This was a 3 year decision. Had we kept cooper you have to pay him for 3 more years. It’s about team structure management.

cooper is not a high end #1. And with lamb you have to move on. Gallup coming back soon.

They could have easily restructured his deal, which is mostly salary money and saved $12 million in CAP space. Cooper's deal was made to be restructured. Jerry know he looks like an idiot for giving Cooper away for a 5th round pick so he has all kinds of excuses now.

Jerry should write a book, "The Art of Getting Fleeced with a Smile"

ghst187

Reaction score
BS…Jerry has made some mistakes and bad decisions. His ego, nor Stephen is that big or dumb to allow it getting in the way of team management because they are pissed.

you forgot the /s after that post…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You are thinking sensible GM , Jerry was miffed that Cooper defied the Covid stuff and was absent for a game because of it , it didn’t sit well with him in lieu of the salary he was paying. Bye Bye Coop

Availability has been mentioned by the Joneses, so that's possible. But if you look at their moves over the past 10 years-plus, they show that he and Stephen have become bean counters. They knew that that would eventually have to choose between Gallup and Cooper and they chose the cheaper option as usual. Restructuring Coop and keeping both was never in the beans.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fun fact, every year from 1978 until Drew Pearson retired after the 1983 season, Tony Hill had more receptions and more yards receiving. He appeared in more pro-bowls. He was for all intensive purposes 1A or the 1. In fact he had his best season in 1985 as the number one (with one Mike Renfro as the other receiver).

Love Pearson, don't get this post wrong, its not an indictment on him at all. He deserves to be in the Hall. But the underappreciation of Tony Hill, by many, for what he did and meant to this team is almost criminal. Point being, he is no Alvin Harper either.

Pearson: 11 seasons, 489 receptions, 7,833 yards, 48 TDs
Hill: 10 seasons, 479 receptions, 7,988 yards, 51 TDs
Seven of those season overlapped (77-83)
Nice way of waking fans up. Perception is ridiculous and gallups better then Harper as well. I see Gallup as Dez Braynt but injuries are keeping his from showing it.. they have a very similar game, similar physique etc, contested balls, can make some great plays at times. so many sidelines toe taps etc not sure the hate but if MG can get healthy, stay healthy and get soem runs in him, hes for sure a very good ewr2 but a fringe #1..

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You know I’ve Never seen a “great” qb elevate average or below average WRs like you just said. Maybe you could give us many examples of this elevation you’re talking about.
Romo did it, with laurent R, Dez, and beasely, and austin, none of those guys would have had the success they had with another qb.

Tony talked about how he had to work on the best ways to throw to dez, and he came up with the jump ball pass, and the fade, and they worked good with
dez. Then dak took over and could not throw either of those type passes to dez, which mad dez not look very good.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry saving up to pay Parsons down the road.
If he keeps on this pace of performance Jerry may have to give him a percentage of the team lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They could have easily restructured his deal, which is mostly salary money and saved $12 million in CAP space. Cooper's deal was made to be restructured. Jerry know he looks like an idiot for giving Cooper away for a 5th round pick so he has all kinds of excuses now.

Jerry should write a book, "The Art of Getting Fleeced with a Smile"
5th rounder was stupid. I heard cooper woukdnt restructure.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Restructuring his deal was the way to go, but it's understandable that Dallas didn't think he was worth $20 million. He didn't play like a $20 million receiver last year. What I dislike about the Joneses when they talk about these kind of moves is they make them seem like they are either-or. The real answer isn't that it was either keep Cooper or not make other moves. It's that they saw Lamb as their No. 1 and didn't want to pay both Cooper and Gallup starter money. Gallup was the cheaper option to be the No. 2 so they moved on from Cooper. They could have paid Gallup and Cooper but didn't want to do that.
Personally, I don’t think Cooper fit our offense for that money. He had some monster games for us against weak secondaries, and he was the catalyst for most of CeeDee’s big games, but Moore never designed or called the offense to target Cooper the way LA targeted Kupp or GB targeted Adams. He didn’t use motion or position flexibility to get him into favorable matchups. Moore prefers to call his plays and have everyone play his position and run his route, and have the QB throw to whomever has the favorable matchup, as if they are all equal. I think Cooper would loose interest at times when double teamed, bracketed, or knowing he was just running a route for another receiver. It showed when he was sometimes thrown to but wasn’t finishing his routes hard, like he was surprised.

Imagine if Quinn told Parsons to line up at MLB or LDE and do his job, even if it meant setting the edge or filling a gap. No, Quinn knows he has a special player, and he designs the defense with emphasis on Micah, even scheming to have him front and center on most plays. Moore didn’t do that with Cooper.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Romo did it, with laurent R, Dez, and beasely, and austin, none of those guys would have had the success they had with another qb.

Tony talked about how he had to work on the best ways to throw to dez, and he came up with the jump ball pass, and the fade, and they worked good with
dez. Then dak took over and could not throw either of those type passes to dez, which mad dez not look very good.

one of the throws Romo couldn’t make it , at least with authority is EZ fades, goes up and come down where only your guy gets it, but after when we see Dak making a mess of so many normal touch throws ( I distinctly remember 2 throws on the flat to Zeke near the goal line in 3rd and 4th down or so ) , Romo was much better passer. To be fair Dak worked on his mechanics and improved , but under duress that files out of the window.

J_Allen

Reaction score
They didn't want him on the team anymore. It's as simple as that.

Dre11

Reaction score
Actually it’s roll over to take the sting out of the 49 million cap hit for Dak, smart move, Dak has to step up and elevate the receivers he has that’s what great QBs do.

You can't tell these complainers anything in here, they just want to whine.