Recap: Jerry Jones on The Fan, 10/7

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry's morning show from 8:30, every Tuesday on The Fan

About when buying the team, the DMN said to him, as they ran an article, that he did his research like the paper did theirs. That in 1989, Dallas had the highest per capita in the US, for interest in sports. Jerry said, you may have researched it, I didn't, I just wanted to buy the Dallas Cowboys.

Romo's Escape & Dez's catch.
Can't coach it, can't practice it. Both always know the place and time in a game, that you just have to make a play when it comes down to it.

Asked about Fan base and crowds at the stadium.
That when they built the stadium, he wanted a Madison Square Gardens type venue, where people from all over want to come see it. Season tickets holders are from all over, so they may only can make 4 or 5 games a year, sell the rest, and actually make money to pay for the games they do go to.

They used to have maybe 10% to 15% from East Texas, Shreveport area, but now has grown, to other areas, Oklahoma has quite a few.
1500 season ticket holders are from Monterray, Mexico.
When you have 90,000 seat, you have to expect at least 20 to 25% are from other fans of the opposing team, and at times it is more.
Houston game tickets were selling at 300% over face value, and a $29 party pass was going for $100.

Less corporate holders than any other team, so it's not Corporation buying and selling tickets. some may give them away though. Most season tickets holders are individually owned. Or it's a small business, that may be incorporated, but small % of it.

Jason Garrett, mid season extension.
Doesn't talk about contracts, for coaches or players.

McClain, Carter ready for game this week.
Feels better about Mcclain, than Carter, but both wait and see later in the week. McClain looks good though. Team very healthy otherwise.
DLaw about to start praticing, spencer coming along great.

Walker trade.
Said tom Landry told him, be careful with all those draft picks, as the vikings may not be picking where you think they might. Could be later picks, and therefore get lesser players. So be ready for that.

Passing on Moss.
didn't ewant to take that risk. Jim Garrett stood up, and said, what, this guy can be the best WR ever. This is the NFL, at times you need to look past some frailities. So didn't want to pass on Dez that time around.

Joked about the Texans fans being loud, using a silent count, in that it helped them prepare for going to Seattle.

morasp

Reaction score
Injury news in encouraging. Lawrence may not get his goal of ten sacks but I hope he will at least show some promise for the future.

Pokeness

Reaction score
Walker trade.
Said tom Landry told him, be careful with all those draft picks, as the vikings may not be picking where you think they might. Could be later picks, and therefore get lesser players. So be ready for that.
I was surprised by this statement as I figured Landry never gave Jones the time of day after canning him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was surprised by this statement as I figured Landry never gave Jones the time of day after canning him.

I was surprised too. But I think they actually talked a lot. I don't buy into the crap that Landry died a Giants fan either.
He may have liked them, since he came from the Giants, but no way he let go of the Cowboys as his team.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I was surprised too. But I think they actually talked a lot. I don't buy into the crap that Landry died a Giants fan either.
He may have liked them, since he came from the Giants, but no way he let go of the Cowboys as his team.

He did. I've heard Mrs. Landry speak of this. And read it as well.

They were the best of friends with the Mara family for decades. Tom's only allegiance was to his own players.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Injury news in encouraging. Lawrence may not get his goal of ten sacks but I hope he will at least show some promise for the future.

Me too however I don't put a lot of cred into what jj says about how the team feels physically. He's quite a salesman.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Maybe she was just upset at the time and was lashing out...LOL
well, ok then....have at it...

Nope. She is a very soft spoken elegant lady. Just as you would expect from the widow of Tom Landry. You were the one that posted you didn't believe it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a **merged** thread about Texans fans in the stadium in the JGR Zone forum. If you want to discuss that aspect of Jerry's comments, go do it in that thread.

For the rest of his comments, feel free to discuss them here in this thread.

^^^^^ READ THIS ^^^^^

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are several aspects of this recap (thanks, @jazzcat22) that are worthy of being discussed!

Please stop posting comments about Texans fans in the stadium in this thread! There is a huge thread about that in the JGR Zone.

*** All stadium related comments are being deleted immediately.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did. I've heard Mrs. Landry speak of this. And read it as well.

They were the best of friends with the Mara family for decades. Tom's only allegiance was to his own players.

Then why was Mrs. Landry at the unveiling of the Landry statue? I think the Landry family actually has allegiance to both the Cowboys and Giants. Landry accepted his induction into the Ring of Honor with a smile (as the fans booed Jerry, ha ha).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then why was Mrs. Landry at the unveiling of the Landry statue? I think the Landry family actually has allegiance to both the Cowboys and Giants. Landry accepted his induction into the Ring of Honor with a smile (as the fans booed Jerry, ha ha).

I forgot about that...LOL...
Unveiling of Tom Landry's name and seeing the hat by it...awesome, that was great.

yimyammer

Reaction score

About when buying the team, the DMN said to him, as they ran an article, that he did his research like the paper did theirs. That in 1989, Dallas had the highest per capita in the US, for interest in sports. Jerry said, you may have researched it, I didn't, I just wanted to buy the Dallas Cowboys.

Romo's Escape & Dez's catch.
Can't coach it, can't practice it. Both always know the place and time in a game, that you just have to make a play when it comes down to it.

Asked about Fan base and crowds at the stadium.
That when they built the stadium, he wanted a Madison Square Gardens type venue, where people from all over want to come see it. Season tickets holders are from all over, so they may only can make 4 or 5 games a year, sell the rest, and actually make money to pay for the games they do go to.

They used to have maybe 10% to 15% from East Texas, Shreveport area, but now has grown, to other areas, Oklahoma has quite a few.
1500 season ticket holders are from Monterray, Mexico.
When you have 90,000 seat, you have to expect at least 20 to 25% are from other fans of the opposing team, and at times it is more.
Houston game tickets were selling at 300% over face value, and a $29 party pass was going for $100.

Less corporate holders than any other team, so it's not Corporation buying and selling tickets. some may give them away though. Most season tickets holders are individually owned. Or it's a small business, that may be incorporated, but small % of it.

Jason Garrett, mid season extension.
Doesn't talk about contracts, for coaches or players.

McClain, Carter ready for game this week.
Feels better about Mcclain, than Carter, but both wait and see later in the week. McClain looks good though. Team very healthy otherwise.
DLaw about to start praticing, spencer coming along great.

Walker trade.

Passing on Moss.
didn't ewant to take that risk. Jim Garrett stood up, and said, what, this guy can be the best WR ever. This is the NFL, at times you need to look past some frailities. So didn't want to pass on Dez that time around.

Joked about the Texans fans being loud, using a silent count, in that it helped them prepare for going to Seattle.

The jerri whisperer! ....so much more palatable coming from you than his rambling ***

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sounds like Jerry is more optimistic here about Romac's return for the Seattle game than he is about Carter's. Anyhow, Hitchins is doing an outstanding job at the strong side, especially in consideration of the fact that he's only a rookie yet. He drew plenty of cynicism for being picked where he was but has certainly justified it by now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like Jerry is more optimistic here about Romac's return for the Seattle game than he is about Carter's. Anyhow, Hitchins is doing an outstanding job at the strong side, especially in consideration of the fact that he's only a rookie yet. He drew plenty of cynicism for being picked where he was but has certainly justified it by now.

Yes, he has been good, I been very happy from what I seen so far.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

I wouldn't know. She didn't speak about that.

I am paraphrasing but in the book THE LAST COWBOY Coach Landry said he felt detached from the team because the old Cowboys were gone forever.

Jerry took their tickets away & she said they wouldn't have used anyway.

Last edited:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't know. She didn't speak about that.

I am paraphrasing but in the book THE LAST COWBOY Coach Landry said he felt detached from the team because the old Cowboys were gone forever.

Jerry took their tickets away & she said they wouldn't have used anyway.

I believe that you read these things. I just think that sometimes writers and other media folks try to slant things to suit their agenda. Landry's son has attended Cowboys events including the last game at Texas Stadium. I just don't think the Landry family has as much animosity towards the Cowboys as what some report.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I believe that you read these things. I just think that sometimes writers and other media folks try to slant things to suit their agenda. Landry's son has attended Cowboys events including the last game at Texas Stadium. I just don't think the Landry family has as much animosity towards the Cowboys as what some report.

Read the book. It is very good. Tom has been dead many years. She, herself, has got to be quite elderly. All I can tell you is other than Tom's players..his guys...he did not follow the Cowboys. I think it was more indifference than animosity.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Walker trade.
Said tom Landry told him, be careful with all those draft picks, as the vikings may not be picking where you think they might. Could be later picks, and therefore get lesser players. So be ready for that..

Then Jimmy stepped up, said I got this Mr. Socks and Jocks, and three Super Bowls later....

We are always the heroes of our own stories.

Rewriting history over the years is a sport enjoyed by all. Hay Balers and Billionaires.