Twitter: Jerry Jones on the Fan - 11/12/19

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Lol so Tavon’s the scapegoat now. Basically he was told to fair catch it, but “a veteran returner should know not to listen to what coach says if you get a favorable look”.

give me a break

the coaching staff should know a punt return from midfield probably had a better shot of scoring than a last second Hail Mary attempt when Minnesota just has to back everyone up to the goal line. Even if he doesn’t score, take advantage of the fact the clock stops with a change of possession and get your yards on the return.

Minnesota should have kicked it out of bounds in that situation. But of course this coaching staff can’t take advantage of a mistake by the other team.

I guess if you think football players are robots. I put at least some of the blame on him for not seeing 30 yards between him and the nearest guy and recognizing what that means.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Lol so Tavon’s the scapegoat now. Basically he was told to fair catch it, but “a veteran returner should know not to listen to what coach says if you get a favorable look”.

If you are positioning for a FG and run Zeke to the right so its on the hash mark you want, but the defenders all fall down and Zeke has a clear shot at the end zone - is Zeke supposed to take a knee at the LOS or take the ball to the end zone?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No one said Smith wasn't bad. Frankly, all three LBs sucked mightily on Sunday night. LVE had trouble getting off blocks as well and has all season. He also whiffed on a Cook screen, overrunning the play.

You have long had an anti-Smith bias here.
He didn't whiff. He played outside shoulder of the blocker and turned Cook inside. Jaylon had no blockers to contend with and hardly even got a hand on him. It's at 2:02 of the video. Just a comically bad missed tackle.

I don't have an anti-Smith bias, he's just not nearly as good as people like to think he is. He is incredibly flawed as an LB and it has been true since Day 1.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't this a straight handoff? What option?

He's just reading Barr, who stays flat. It's the right play to hand off there, b/c you have 3 blockers and 3 defenders. It's an advantageous run look.

The problem is that the DT knew the play, and Williams cheated to get to the second level.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sort of...the player in the action has to in the final analysis, be accountable for his own decisions. Players get 'away' with decisions that pay off...always have.

That reminds me of a play involving my son. As a freshman in high school he was the starting wide receiver, cornerback and punter on his varsity high school team. The coach installed a “fake punt” for use in special situations.

My son was punting from his own 8 yard line on 4th and 10 and he decided he would, of his volition, to implement the fake punt play.

When my son took off running, (he ran a high 4.4 or low 4.5 at the time) I could hear his coach yelling “No! No! No! But 92 yards later as he was dragging 3 guys across the opposing goal line for the TD his coach was yelling “Yes’ Yes! Yes!

After the game the coach cane up to me and laughed and said “How about that freshman”! Lol

Your point is spot on.

Sydla

Reaction score
He didn't whiff. He played outside shoulder of the blocker and turned Cook inside. Jaylon had no blockers to contend with and hardly even got a hand on him. It's at 2:02 of the video. Just a comically bad missed tackle.

I don't have an anti-Smith bias, he's just not nearly as good as people like to think he is. He is incredibly flawed as an LB and it has been true since Day 1.

LVE came from the inside and ran past Cook diving back at his feet when Cook cut back.

It's hard to argue you don't have bias when you clearly tend to be less critical of another player when they do the same things.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry Jones in a Nutshell.

tenor.gif

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LVE came from the inside and ran past Cook diving back at his feet when Cook cut back.

It's hard to argue you don't have bias when you clearly tend to be less critical of another player when they do the same things.
No, he didn't overrun. He played the outside shoulder of the blocker to turn the runner back inside. You want him to make the tackle but the first responsibility is to turn the play back into your defense. It's not a good play, but it's sound. Jaylon should see the runner being turned in, play the angle, and make an easy tackle. HE COMPLETELY WHIFFED.

You can whine and cry about bias all you want, but it's not. You just don't know what you're looking at.

John813

Reaction score
In other words - worthless.

I'm not going that extreme. Can tell something is up with him though and he's not the same player he was a year ago.
Hopefully, it's just these injuries that are the culprit for his play.

DallasInDC

Reaction score

give me a break

the coaching staff should know a punt return from midfield probably had a better shot of scoring than a last second Hail Mary attempt when Minnesota just has to back everyone up to the goal line. Even if he doesn’t score, take advantage of the fact the clock stops with a change of possession and get your yards on the return.

Minnesota should have kicked it out of bounds in that situation. But of course this coaching staff can’t take advantage of a mistake by the other team.

This is starting to become a trending statement...if you know the Coach's call is wrong, ignore it and do what you think is best. Romo did it and was applauded, Dak and Coop did it and was applauded. Media says Dak should do it more often and should have done on the last 3 plays of the drive against Minny, now they are saying Austin should have done it. This is ignoring the biggest problem is a HC and his staff cannot make the best/right call for the situation. This is truly unacceptable. People saying an athlete should override the coaches decision because its the right thing to do has wrongfully shifted accountability from the coach to the player.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been said 100 times, but I will restate it. Tavon called for the fair catch immediately, and therefore the Vikings went half-speed down the field. If he had not called the fair catch, I highly doubt that big of a lane would have been there. I know all of you guys that played football understand the communication on special teams, defense and offense.
A very good observation. I hope that it does not go unnoticed.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That reminds me of a play involving my son. As a freshman in high school he was the starting wide receiver, cornerback and punter on his varsity high school team. The coach installed a “fake punt” for use in special situations.

My son was punting from his own 8 yard line on 4th and 10 and he decided he would, of his volition, to implement the fake punt play.

When my son took off running, (he ran a high 4.4 or low 4.5 at the time) I could hear his coach yelling “No! No! No! But 92 yards later as he was dragging 3 guys across the opposing goal line for the TD his coach was yelling “Yes’ Yes! Yes!

After the game the coach cane up to me and laughed and said “How about that freshman”! Lol

Your point is spot on.
Nice add...