Jerry Jones on the Ticket w/Norm re: RB position

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Rack;2449354 said:
Why not exit Pat Watkins instead? Better yet, let's get rid of Brown and Watkins.
Watkins is severely disappointing. I know he was a 5th round pick but come on, he embarrasses this defense every time he attempts to tackle. Watching him get run over by Jason Campbell showed me all I needed to know.

starverla

Reaction score
He said MBIII should be good-to-go! But they need another backup just in case and that guy would be Alonzo Coleman.

Also said the Doctor's had never really seen a dislocated "pinkie" toe and were trying to decide how to treat and allow to play. He got stepped on.

Norm asked if it was the dreaded "turf-toe" and he said not to his knowledge and added "hope not".

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
starverla;2449445 said:
He said MBIII should be good-to-go! But they need another backup just in case and that guy would be Alonzo Coleman.

Also said the Doctor's had never really seen a dislocated "pinkie" toe and were trying to decide how to treat and allow to play. He got stepped on.

Norm asked if it was the dreaded "turf-toe" and he said not to his knowledge and added "hope not".

It can't be "turf toe" if it's the pinkie toe. If Norm weren't such a moron he'd know that.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Bio:

Alonzo Coleman Height: 5-10
Weight: 207
Position: Running Back
College: Hampton

Positives: Lacks ideal height, but has a thick upper body frame with good muscle tone, well-defined arms, tight abdomen and thick, muscular thighs and calves … Has excellent quickness and attacks the holes with explosion and power, staying low in his pads to consistently break tackles … Extra-effort type in practices and puts in the additional hours in the film room studying tapes … Shows excellent pick-and-slide agility, balance and vision through the holes and is alert to cutback lanes … Has the second gear needed to burst through the line and gain valid yardage in the second level … One of the strongest tailbacks in this class, winning weight competitions vs. the down linemen … Has explosive initial quickness and incredible awareness of his surroundings … Shows great hole vision and makes immediate decisions heading up the rush lanes … Despite his frame, he has impressive leg drive and power through the holes … Gets into second gear in a flash turning the corner, displaying superb initial cutback ability … Has that snap and sudden change of direction agility to make tacklers miss … Runs at a very low pad level, showing tremendous shake and wiggle to elude … Does a very good job of accelerating in the open and has the lateral moves to change direction without having to gear down … Best when taking plays to the perimeter, as he bounces wide with good body control and maintains balance when planting and sliding for additional yards … Does a good job of shifting his weight and squaring his shoulders when running between tackles (gets absorbed by the bigger defenders though) … Arm breaks tackles with authority and bounces to the outside in a flash when the rush lanes are clogged.
Negatives: Played in a system that did not rely upon him as a pass catcher, but he is marginal at best in this area, as he put several potential receptions on the ground … Needs to do a better job of distributing the ball when running, as most of his fumbles seem to occur when he carries the ball in his left hand … Has great weight room strength and will double cradle the ball running through a crowd, but he lacks the size and bulk to push the pile and can be absorbed by the bigger defenders (needs room to run) … Strictly an ankle biter when asked to cut block and shows no desire to block in pass protection, taking passive swipes vs. the blitz … Gets ping-ponged by the larger defenders when trying to squeeze through tight spaces … Needs to develop better patience waiting for his blocks to develop, as he generally out-runs his protection.
Compares To: Ryan Moats, Philadelphia Eagles … As a change-of-pace back, Coleman will bring instant value, but his lack of receiving skills will greatly limit his playing time … He can't be used as a short-yardage back due to size and bulk issues, and has to develop patience waiting for his blockers … Still, he has great speed turning the corner and the second gear to win foot races along the perimeter … He would also compare to Atlanta's Jerious Norwood, but he lacks the receiving skills the Falcons tailback possesses.

INJURY REPORT 2006: Sat out the North Carolina A&T game and saw limited action vs. Norfolk State and South Carolina State with back spasms.
2007: Could not complete agility tests at the Combine due to a tight hamstring.

AGILITY TESTS Campus: 4.36 in the 40-yard dash (wind-aided) … 4.46 40-yard dash (against the wind) … 395-pound bench press … 475-pound squat … 350-pound power clean … 32½-inch vertical jump … 7.4 three-cone drill … 4.12 20-yard shuttle … 30 7/8-inch arm length … 9 7/8-inch hands … Left-handed.
Combine: 4.52 in the 40-yard dash … 1.56 10-yard dash … 2.63 20-yard dash … 10-foot broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 27 times.

I think he has the skills to succeed as a runner, but according to this biography, he needs to do much better in blitz pickups, and his slow combine forty s probably why he didn't get drafted. I hope he has been coming along in practice.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2449458 said:
Bio:

Alonzo Coleman Height: 5-10
Weight: 207
Position: Running Back
College: Hampton

Positives: Lacks ideal height

I stopped reading right there. If he's 5'10", he's got ideal height.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;2449373 said:
It would have been nice to have Abram Elam on the team right now.

10X better player then either Watkins or Brown, but OH NO he's not fast so he got cut.
I'm not going to argue with that at all. Have you watched the Jets the last couple of games? The difference between Elam and Brown is light years.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Obviously, we're hoping not to need Alonzo Coleman on the field.

I know our coaches are familiar with him and that he's a speed back, but has anyone been impressed with Coleman in the limited snaps he's received in two pre-seasons?

The snaps came in garbage time and all, but I don't remember seeing anything.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Rack;2449460 said:
I stopped reading right there. If he's 5'10", he's got ideal height.

LOL....I don't know if that is accurate. That's the only pre-draft bio I could find. Some other websites have him listed as 5-9...still, that is ideal height for a RB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2449330 said:
Enter Alonzo Coleman exit Courtney Brown sounds like an upgrade to me.

Coleman over Quincy Butler is an even bigger upgrade.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2449467 said:
I'm not going to argue with that at all. Have you watched the Jets the last couple of games? The difference between Elam and Brown is light years.
Elam was pretty good on special teams, too. He would be our starter instead of Davis if we didn't let him go.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2449420 said:
Watkins is severely disappointing. I know he was a 5th round pick but come on, he embarrasses this defense every time he attempts to tackle. Watching him get run over by Jason Campbell showed me all I needed to know.

I thought that too but he's got a stinger and he was trying to tackle and protect his self at the same time. He's just not well enough to tackle properly.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;2449354 said:
Why not exit Pat Watkins instead? Better yet, let's get rid of Brown and Watkins.

Because when he's not hurt Watkins may be the team's best special teams player.

lockster

Reaction score
Rack;2449373 said:
It would have been nice to have Abram Elam on the team right now.

10X better player then either Watkins or Brown, but OH NO he's not fast so he got cut.

Ok, Abram is fast, don't know where you got that slow part from. I read his times where below 4.4. Also, watch the guy play. Plays fast too. Man, I would trade, Roy, Pat, Brown and a draft pick to get Abram back. Hated when he left, pissed me off, good. Man, if we could have only cut Roy! Abram is playing great!! Just goes to show how bad Roy is, look how good Davis, that Parcells said couldn't play the position, is playing in Roy's place. I hope Brown gets cut, not because he lacks athleticism, but due to his penchant for shirting contact. He's a wuss as far as I can see, even though I liked him the first year. We don't need a team of Wusses! I do agree with the rest of your post though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Vinnie2u;2449307 said:
How about Brad Johnson or Quincy Butler? Courtney Brown was a low round draft pick. They take time to develop.

I'd certainly cut Butler here. He's the obvious choice as he's completed his 3 game post PS signing stint. And we know that there's a good chance we can get him back on our PS.

Brown I'd like to see have another off-season to develop. He came from a small school that played many games against teams that never place guys in the NFL (and rarely in the CFL and Arena league for that matter).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2449521 said:
Because when he's not hurt Watkins may be the team's best special teams player.

so about 4 games a year?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They will probably cut Quincy Butler to activate Adam Jones, so they would still need to cut or IR someone else for Coleman.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They must be very careful not to upset the STs balance in doing these cuts.