Jerry Jones reaction to clock managment

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know this is the only place I know of that people can turn a win into a loss. lol
Last week I was told no way, no how the Cowboys would win.
No way we give up less than 30

This place is loaded with everything the Cowboys can't do, we have jr GM and jr coaches constantly going off and yet when the team does what they claimed Dallas can't do and how they can't win a game like this and are dead wrong they still complain. I really think it is just the nature of some people who can't enjoy any wins.

Personally I think this was a hugh win for the Boys, falling into a 0-2 hole was not something I wanted to see but Cowboys went out and fought hard, coaches had this team ready to play at kickoff and we won. Myself I will enjoy this game and look forward to next monday nights game.
It was a huge win. We can enjoy it while breaking it down with critique and analysis . That’s what we do on a fan forum . But it doesn’t take away from the win or mean we aren’t enjoying the win.

If it rains on your parade or excitement from the game can’t imagine why you’d be here?

You’d probably enjoy going more to their Facebook page or team site.

jaybird

Reaction score
But if he’d made the kick like Zuerlein did probably wouldn’t have been as big of deal.
He did the first time but Garret got nervous called a time just as the ball was snapped. He missed tje second attempt. That was so frustating

DenCWBY

Reaction score
im sorry but regardless of what happened to the clock its the QB running the last plays. He has to be the general and call the to after that run play.. you call it run 122 more quick outs..blame this ALL on coaching is ********, seriously who has the ball, who got the 160mil saying hes the leader, hes smart, hes has command of the team? well when you got the ball in your hands in the final two min the qb should be making sure hes calling the TO and audibles when it didnt come in right away..

maybe there was a clock issue maybe its clockgate home cooking etc LOL but dak needed to handle that.Im confident 100% Romo would have called that and the final plays hes done that many time ignored the OC/HC and knew how to manage the clock..

the team will learn from this trust me its bone of contention in all meetings that this doesn't happen again..they get to learn with the win..best way..
Good post. There are elite QB's like Montana, Elway, Staubach, Stabler, Brady, Moon that just keep their cool with a mental clock which consistently tells them where they need to be and what to do in those 4th q situations above any "support" from the sideline. Romo was good at it in spite of JG. Dak can get there if he keeps his feet on the ground and stays in the film room.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If we had run another play it would have been a quick out for about 3 to 5 yards. Could have also been an interception, fumble, sack etc....just saying.
Possibly. Did you believe running the clock down in 2012 against Baltimore was the right call instead of trying to shorten a 51 yard GW FG attempt? Bailey missed that.
Did you believe running the clock down against Arizona in 2011 was the right call instead of trying to shorten a 49 yard GW FG attempt? Bailey missed (this is the infamous "icing" game).

Both of those games we had an opportunity to get in better FG position and decided to melt clock settling for the long FG. I will never like this strategy, but if it's the smart thing to do, then maybe more coaches should employ this strategy?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possibly. Did you believe running the clock down in 2012 against Baltimore was the right call instead of trying to shorten a 51 yard GW FG attempt? Bailey missed that.
Did you believe running the clock down against Arizona in 2011 was the right call instead of trying to shorten a 49 yard GW FG attempt? Bailey missed (this is the infamous "icing" game).

Both of those games we had an opportunity to get in better FG position and decided to melt clock settling for the long FG. I will never like this strategy, but if it's the smart thing to do, then maybe more coaches should employ this strategy?
Don't get bent outta shape...I've already stated that it was a mistake, but we won the damn game so it worked out just like it may not have if things were different. Just sick of all the damn crying

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why would someone continue coming to a place where they hate the crying?

Their crying about the crying they’re crying about becomes more problematic. Why put yourself thru it.

Sounds more like trolling to me. Lol

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If you call a time out and it becomes 4th down (thus ending up with the same-ish kick), guess who gets the ball back make or miss?

Not only do they get the ball back, but they ALSO have at least 1 timeout. But maybe even 2.

So ... I have a HARD time believing that if MM did the thing "3yr olds were calling for", and LAC gets the ball back, that MM is getting ANY love from those that are crying about it today.

Just call it a hunch.

P.S. Do you know how many scientists (you know, people smarter than 3 year olds) OPPOSED Einstein's Theory of Relativity? Something to think about when the "masses" says something is wrong because it was not the norm.
:thumbup:

Here are some general thoughts about situations like this as well as some specific to this situation.

If you're settling for a 56 yard FG with a kicker who struggled week 1, you're crazy. So, the whole mindset going into the drive has to be get enough yardage to make a kick statistically favorable, play for a TD or run the clock out & go to overtime. They were clearly playing for the kick.

Blocked FG's can also lose you the game. Setting up for any kick but certainly ones from distance are not risk free.

Incurring a penalty with a ten second runoff is also a concern. Letting the clock get below 11 seconds and incurring this type penalty would end the half. So, is it wise to let the clock run below 11 seconds if you intend to attempt another play even a kick?

The run occurred on second down. It ended with around 30 seconds. You should have known when you called a run play that you would probably need to call a timeout after the play. So, you probably shouldn't have called a run play in the middle of the field with only 1 timeout, right?

I get that they thought SD would call a timeout. I get that someone left the field who shouldn't have thus preventing them from hurrying to the line. But you should know it could happen & be prepared. So, you either burn the timeout (if you want to try for more yardage) or you let the clock run.

If you are settling for the kick, let it run. You should still be able to get to the line & spike the ball thereby conserving your timeout as insurance against any issues getting your FG team on the field.

If you aren't comfortable with the kick but want to take a chance to win, let it run but spike it around 8-10 seconds (just enough time to run one play & use timeout if successful). On 4th down, take a shot downfield hoping to make a play or draw a penalty. Use your timeout at the end of that play if needed. Given the rules today, isn't this a higher % play than a 56 yard FG?

If you aren't comfortable with the kick and you don't want to risk anything going wrong & giving the game away, let the time run out & go to OT.

If you burned the timeout after the second down run, you should have 30 seconds remaining. Even with confusion at least 25 seconds remaining. Run your third down play which has to be a pass. But you still have time to get to the line & spike it if first down yardage is made or hustle your kicking team on if it's 4th down.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Here are some general thoughts about situations like this as well as some specific to this situation.

If you're settling for a 56 yard FG with a kicker who struggled week 1, you're crazy. So, the whole mindset going into the drive has to be get enough yardage to make a kick statistically favorable, play for a TD or run the clock out & go to overtime. They were clearly playing for the kick.

Blocked FG's can also lose you the game. Setting up for any kick but certainly ones from distance are not risk free.

Incurring a penalty with a ten second runoff is also a concern. Letting the clock get below 11 seconds and incurring this type penalty would end the half. So, is it wise to let the clock run below 11 seconds if you intend to attempt another play even a kick?

The run occurred on second down. It ended with around 30 seconds. You should have known when you called a run play that you would probably need to call a timeout after the play. So, you probably shouldn't have called a run play in the middle of the field with only 1 timeout, right?

I get that they thought SD would call a timeout. I get that someone left the field who shouldn't have thus preventing them from hurrying to the line. But you should know it could happen & be prepared. So, you either burn the timeout (if you want to try for more yardage) or you let the clock run.

If you are settling for the kick, let it run. You should still be able to get to the line & spike the ball thereby conserving your timeout as insurance against any issues getting your FG team on the field.

If you aren't comfortable with the kick but want to take a chance to win, let it run but spike it around 8-10 seconds (just enough time to run one play & use timeout if successful). On 4th down, take a shot downfield hoping to make a play or draw a penalty. Use your timeout at the end of that play if needed. Given the rules today, isn't this a higher % play than a 56 yard FG?

If you aren't comfortable with the kick and you don't want to risk anything going wrong & giving the game away, let the time run out & go to OT.

If you burned the timeout after the second down run, you should have 30 seconds remaining. Even with confusion at least 25 seconds remaining. Run your third down play which has to be a pass. But you still have time to get to the line & spike it if first down yardage is made or hustle your kicking team on if it's 4th down.
PS, I wrote a response, but it was REALLY long. So instead, I'll just link this video (it's better than what I wrote, so lucky you)

rambo2

Reaction score
PS, I wrote a response, but it was REALLY long. So instead, I'll just link this video (it's better than what I wrote, so lucky you)

Jeff is absolutely right. A well thought out response. It makes think that the Chargers screwed up.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Jeff is absolutely right. A well thought out response. It makes think that the Chargers screwed up.
I really should have waited an extra 24 hours before I took on this topic.

While I attempted to basically say what Jeff said, I guess I just didn't do a good job of it.

Did the Cowboys screw up with the "not having a play to run on 3rd down"? Yes, I agree.

Is what happened a "disaster" / "what were they thinking" type of moment? No. not at all, IMO.

basel90

Reaction score
Between the lines is MM got his asperations chewed out!

Zeurlein bailed MM . Period. Jerry and everyone knows MM was clueless . Am sure Jerry and Stephen are discovering that MM is not a great coach .

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have no problem with what McCarthy did. As @Ranching rightly said, while there was a lot of time, all sorts of things could go wrong. We Cowboys fans should know this by now. Taking the FG was the right call imo.

kumizi

Reaction score
Also enough time to get sacked or throw a pick.......enjoy the damn win!
Enjoying the win has nothing to with whether they should have run another play with 30 seconds left.

It's about process, not results...unless you're a cheerleader.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Enjoying the win has nothing to with whether they should have run another play with 30 seconds left.

It's about process, not results.
Lol! Garret lover!
It's about winning! And we won....

basel90

Reaction score
It was a great win and I’m thrilled we got it.

Now some hard truth: Big Mac has not been very good at managing crucial in-game situations. I don’t see how anyone could argue with that. With the number of close games there are in the NFL, managing crucial in-game decisions and situations is the difference between being a playoff team and drafting early.
Exactly . MM is coaching the most expensive franchise in the world . Is this the best coach to entrust with this team ?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The only thing I'd do differently than McCarthy is maybe run it once to put the ball in the middle, but then there's always the chance of a fumble. So, taking it where we did to kick the field goal was the right move imo.

rambo2

Reaction score
Zeurlein bailed MM . Period. Jerry and everyone knows MM was clueless . Am sure Jerry and Stephen are discovering that MM is not a great coach .
Using up all of the time and kicking the winning field goal isn't exactly clueless. They could have easily screwed up and given the Chargers a chance to win.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Using up all of the time and kicking the winning field goal isn't exactly clueless. They could have easily screwed up and given the Chargers a chance to win.

Exactly, and how many times have we seen this team take a sure thing and blow it?