News: Jerry Jones says he is not giving up on Gregory

marchetta

Reaction score
Saying the right things. Hopefully Gregory helps himself and does well in his life.

As a football player though? Game over man, game over.
Not if the NFL catches up with the rest of the nation and changes its weed testing policy. Then, we'd be rewarded for our patience with Gregory.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Not if the NFL catches up with the rest of the nation and changes its weed testing policy. Then, we'd be rewarded for our patience with Gregory.
I don't believe it will be changed in time for Gregory. It would take Federal decriminalization IMO which is still 8-12 years away. Trump is not in favor. I think he wants to treat it like opiods.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry bonds with players on the same level as Robert Kraft in New England.

He loves his guys and his guys genuinely love him. It's great to see.

As people and on a personal level, I love that Jerry is sticking beside Gregory (much like he did Josh Brent).

But the football side of Randy Gregory should be forgotten. We should release him. And if Jerry wants to get him the help he needs (but obviously doesn't want), then that's great.

There's just no point in us putting football faith in a guy who cannot follow the rules. He has mental issues that contribute to his lack of self control - which is sad - but we have to let him go and find a more reliable football player to help the team.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Good on Jerry for the not giving up on him in life comment, proud to have an owner like that

However, not giving up on him as a player for the Cowboys may not be up to him if Gregory can't keep from getting suspended

Personally, I hope and want Gregory to get his life together and have some sort of prosperous future, I just don't see it in the NFL

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Sydla, post: 6974915, member: 37959"
I get supporting the kid but he's going to be out another full season if the reports are true. How can you continue to stand by that?[/QUOTE]

Because there is no cost and a chance--albeit, a minuet chance--that he comes around eventually.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saying the right things. Hopefully Gregory helps himself and does well in his life.

As a football player though? Game over man, game over.
1,000 internet points for the Aliens reference. :p

Some people will take issue with Jones' loyalty to players but the players themselves probably love him as the team's owner for doing so. It may rub some of the same people the wrong way but Jones probably values the players' opinions over outsiders by a large margin--regardless whether any particular subject being examined is right or wrong.

Satchel89

Reaction score
Everyone wants to shred Jerry and make jokes about him. He actually does care about players. He cares about them to a fault. That's part of the reason why the team had been mediocre for so long. But he needs to forget about Gregory. He's already been paid for doing absolutely nothing. Jerry does everything to help players. He gets people to watch over certain guys and try to assist them in making right decisions. Gregory has gotten plenty of help so it's his own fault for being a moron. Move on Jerry

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I hardly deserve to be considered as a candidate to be considered a Jerry Jones advocate, although Jerry's devotion to his players is fairly commendable. It's certainly not every owner/GM who deserves to have that said of him. Randy Gregory is obviously one who is deeply troubled.

Despite the fact that he sometimes hangs onto them far too long, in many cases, he displays a compassion for his players that is rare among those involved in pro football. I do feel he deserves credit for that, regardless of what the future holds in store for Gregory. I'm confident Jerry will stand by him until such time as necessity demands otherwise. Randy had better change his ways if he wants Jerry's charity to continue much longer.

Last edited:

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...oys-owner-jerry-jones-am-giving-randy-gregory

Sorry if re-post. If nothing else, Jerry has proven in the past that he at least believes in nurturing players as best as possible. They'll eventually cut ties (Pac-Man Jones, Hardy), but often they'll do everything in their power and exhibit as much patience as Job to try to get people on their feet.
Thank God for Jerry.

marchetta

Reaction score
I don't believe it will be changed in time for Gregory. It would take Federal decriminalization IMO which is still 8-12 years away. Trump is not in favor. I think he wants to treat it like opiods.
It doesn't require federal legislation for the NFL to decide it's no longer testing for marijuana, and no longer penalizing players for testing positive for marijuana.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wonder if Randy can appeal and get in some time this season? I'm sure though he'll fail 3 more tests before he returns...

He'll never get on the field this season he hasn't been practicing, he's been suspended and going through rehab. Can't just bring a player back after all that time away especially a young player who lacks development and play them.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jerry probably forsees marijuana being taken off the banned substances list.

They will stop testing eventually and when they do the pending suspensions will be overturned.

Watch for it this off-season.
This I would like.

Apparently the NFL is studying it now as a low form pain reliever..

it's just become completely hypocritical a player can legally smoke at home but still get suspended by the NFL.

This is contrary to law now.

A whole bunch more states approved MJ in their laws for medicinal reasons this past elections.

Some player is going to sue the NFL and win.

Might as well be Gregory.

He is finished as a player unless it changes.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Oh, please post the highlight reel of him as a Cowboy that proves me wrong. I'll wait.
If you think highlight reels are a basis for determining talent it'd be a waste of time. In limited snaps Gregory showed a grasp of pass rush moves that no one on the roster possesses. You not knowing isn't something you should be proud of. I know it's hard for you guys and gals dealing with 8-1. You'll always have Dez to hate though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if Randy can appeal and get in some time this season?
There isn't any reasonable way for Gregory to step onto the field and make any contributions this year. He has missed far too much. From conditioning to being in football shape his body just wouldn't be ready.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Why is everyone acting like Gregory is a stud? The dude has done NOTHING to indicate he's more than a JAG. Nothing.

The same reason why everyone was acting like Bosa was a stud -- oh look, he is. Gregory has had zero chance to prove himself (fully healthy) and has had some of the highest praise from all-time Cowboys greats. So, other than that...

Miley, your posts are increasingly becoming grating -- less positive -- the better we do. If you couldn't care less what I think, so be it. But it's okay to be happy and let your guard down.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...oys-owner-jerry-jones-am-giving-randy-gregory

Sorry if re-post. If nothing else, Jerry has proven in the past that he at least believes in nurturing players as best as possible. They'll eventually cut ties (Pac-Man Jones, Hardy), but often they'll do everything in their power and exhibit as much patience as Job to try to get people on their feet.
Jerrah has had a long history with this..

Josh Brent comes to mind..

Erik Williams..

Irvin..

Tunei

Hardy

And almost Johnnie Mansel.

He shows support but has to move away from them as the team moves on.

He can not let them become a lightning rod where the media starts a crusade against the team for keeping them around.

Especially when he can't play or doesn't want to play or the behavior to fail exists.

This is where Jones needs a GM mentality and not a sentimental owner mentality.

These are grown men making bad decisions..including our owner.

Last edited: