CFZ Jerry Jones screwed it up by getting rid of Jimmy Johnson

JJ1986

Reaction score
Bum wanted the only in our franchise history fired after 29 seasons. He sold the team to Jerry Jones and Jerry said he will fire Tom Landry.

The team was sputtering in the 80s especially following the catch by Dwight Clark.

So Jerry brings in Jimmy Johnson. Bad bad team in the first year that was 1-15. Jimmy drafted two QBs: Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh. Aikman was mad because he was supposed to be the anointed one and not have competition but Jimmy wanted competition.

In the midst of his first season, Jimmy Johnson traded away Dallas best player at the time, Hershel Walker for five drafts picks and 5 players. We know the rest is history as Dallas used that trade to draft 19 players.

Troy was on a bad team with a bad offensive line his first season so he was getting beat up! They drafted Emmitt Smith the following year. They made some modest improvements but it took a couple of years for them to hit their stride.

I do not want to hear that Aikman was an average QB on a good team! It took Dallas a couple of years to get there.

Aikman was one of the most accurate passers in the game competing against Montana, Young, Elway, Mario etc.

3 super bowls in four years! It would have been more if Jimmy was around! Could have been a three peat!

Of course Jerry screwed it up by getting rid of Johnson.

The rest is history… 27+ years and counting… the last time Dallas made it to the NFC Championship game

JJ1986

Reaction score
who said Aikman was average? He could have put up big numbers but didnt need to with 22. I would take him over Romo everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
Some fans on this board has been claiming that Aikman was an average QB surrounded by great talent. Aikman was the last Super Bowl winning QB for Dallas so most definitely Aikman > everyone else since 1995

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sadly with Jerry's money if he hired a GM after Jimmy we'd likely have 10 super bowls . Jerry would be the greatest owner in NFL history .

Instead he's laughable and the longest tenured GM in sports never to accomplish anything!
Except snatching defeat from the jaws of victory over and over.
Thank heavens the clock is ticking on Gerald!

Flamma

Reaction score
I meant Marino - typo!
I know what you meant. But I noticed in a lot of threads the 2nd poster sometimes follows up a well thought out post (yours) with an asinine response. I just thought my post was so idiotic that it was funny.

There was really not much else I could say. What maniac owner has irreconcilable differences with the head coach of their team after winning two straight Super Bowls? I was questioning Jerry's sanity during the Emmitt issue. My respect for him tanked after Jimmy had to leave. Can you imagine Don Shula being pushed out after '72 and '73 back to back SB wins? What about Chuck Noll? Or maybe, Bill, anyone can win with Brady, get the hell out of here! It's just mind boggling.

fredp22

Reaction score
Some fans on this board has been claiming that Aikman was an average QB surrounded by great talent. Aikman was the last Super Bowl winning QB for Dallas so most definitely Aikman > everyone else since 1995
he was first ballot for a reason. Emmitt kept his throwing numbers down. He was a leader and a winner. Not going to call him average. During his playing days the only qb close to him was Young. Romo even with the 90's team would have folded

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Some have even called him a bus driver.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I know what you meant. But I noticed in a lot of threads the 2nd poster sometimes follows up a well thought out post (yours) with an asinine response. I just thought my post was so idiotic that it was funny.

There was really not much else I could say. What maniac owner has irreconcilable differences with the head coach of their team after winning two straight Super Bowls? I was questioning Jerry's sanity during the Emmitt issue. My respect for him tanked after Jimmy had to leave. Can you imagine Don Shula being pushed out after '72 and '73 back to back SB wins? What about Chuck Noll? Or maybe, Bill, anyone can win with Brady, get the hell out of here! It's just mind boggling.
I remember when we started off 0-2 in 1993. After that game they showed Jerry up in the owner's box. I yelled at the TV "Pay the Man." lol He got it done that week.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So with all the other bash Jerry threads out there, we needed another one, with info we already know about?

J_Allen

Reaction score
In a parallel Universe Johnson stays despite Jerry, and we win 5 Super Bowls in a row.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a parallel Universe Johnson stays despite Jerry, and we win 5 Super Bowls in a row.
If you could create a portal, and charge even only $10 per entrance fee. You would be richer than Elon Musk and Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined. As fans would be going in mass exits.