CFZ Jerry Jones screwed it up by getting rid of Jimmy Johnson

fredp22

Reaction score
So with all the other bash Jerry threads out there, we needed another one, with info we already know about?
when someone wants 100% of the credit they will get 100% of the blame. Jerry was responsible for the Garrett years and replaced him with KM who MM keeps hinting he wants gone.
Jerry has taken this once great franchise and turned it into what we have today

blueblood70

Reaction score
Bum wanted the only in our franchise history fired after 29 seasons. He sold the team to Jerry Jones and Jerry said he will fire Tom Landry.

The team was sputtering in the 80s especially following the catch by Dwight Clark.

So Jerry brings in Jimmy Johnson. Bad bad team in the first year that was 1-15. Jimmy drafted two QBs: Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh. Aikman was mad because he was supposed to be the anointed one and not have competition but Jimmy wanted competition.

In the midst of his first season, Jimmy Johnson traded away Dallas best player at the time, Hershel Walker for five drafts picks and 5 players. We know the rest is history as Dallas used that trade to draft 19 players.

Troy was on a bad team with a bad offensive line his first season so he was getting beat up! They drafted Emmitt Smith the following year. They made some modest improvements but it took a couple of years for them to hit their stride.

I do not want to hear that Aikman was an average QB on a good team! It took Dallas a couple of years to get there.

Aikman was one of the most accurate passers in the game competing against Montana, Young, Elway, Mario etc.

3 super bowls in four years! It would have been more if Jimmy was around! Could have been a three peat!

Of course Jerry screwed it up by getting rid of Johnson.

The rest is history… 27+ years and counting… the last time Dallas made it to the NFC Championship game
Never hear that story must be new never heard that angry Jones hate narrative, so thanks for the new content. so refreshing having new things to debate about.

offlimits

Reaction score
I'm an older guy and lived through that great 90's run. Troy never threw for huge yardage... he didn't have to with #22 but Troy rarely made mistakes or bad reads. He was incredibly efficient.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'll never understand why the story about Jimmy leaving is usually wrong.

Jimmy had already decided to leave. He said it and it's been documented as the truth.
yup he like parcels are not wired like Bill Belechek, im betting he would have left by 98 anyway at the latest as that team was quickly breaking down and many of the core payers would have been gone., so going to an NFCCG and winning another SB those 2 years after might have been all Jimmy would have accomplished and then left anyway, this fan base acts as if Jimmy would have stayed for Life like Lansdy and BB. that not the norm. most coaches stay around 4-6 years max.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm an older guy and lived through that great 90's run. Troy never threw for huge yardage... he didn't have to with #22 but Troy rarely made mistakes or bad reads. He was incredibly efficient.
165-144 says hes made plenty of mistakes. that not great td-INT % always excuses for those payer being on team full of HOFers with some of the best coaches ever assembled

right, he didn't have too, Romo and Dak have had many situations where they "HAD TO" on lessor teams with lessor coaches and less talent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bum wanted the only in our franchise history fired after 29 seasons. He sold the team to Jerry Jones and Jerry said he will fire Tom Landry.

The team was sputtering in the 80s especially following the catch by Dwight Clark.

So Jerry brings in Jimmy Johnson. Bad bad team in the first year that was 1-15. Jimmy drafted two QBs: Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh. Aikman was mad because he was supposed to be the anointed one and not have competition but Jimmy wanted competition.

In the midst of his first season, Jimmy Johnson traded away Dallas best player at the time, Hershel Walker for five drafts picks and 5 players. We know the rest is history as Dallas used that trade to draft 19 players.

Troy was on a bad team with a bad offensive line his first season so he was getting beat up! They drafted Emmitt Smith the following year. They made some modest improvements but it took a couple of years for them to hit their stride.

I do not want to hear that Aikman was an average QB on a good team! It took Dallas a couple of years to get there.

Aikman was one of the most accurate passers in the game competing against Montana, Young, Elway, Mario etc.

3 super bowls in four years! It would have been more if Jimmy was around! Could have been a three peat!

Of course Jerry screwed it up by getting rid of Johnson.

The rest is history… 27+ years and counting… the last time Dallas made it to the NFC Championship game
At least he got titles with and without Jimmy in that era.

Keeping Jason Garrett for a decade and ruining players like Romo, Witten, and Wares careers was by far his worst decision as owner.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Some people just can't let it go...
You mean people like Jerry?

In all seriousness, people are just emotionally drained. We simply cannot believe the drought we are on. And for me, I don't expect to compete for Super Bowls every year. I just expect to operate like a competent football organization. And there are just too many things that go on that have nothing to do with putting a product on the field that give you the BEST chance to win.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'll never understand why the story about Jimmy leaving is usually wrong.

Jimmy had already decided to leave. He said it and it's been documented as the truth.
This. Jimmy was leaving. They did supposedly have an agreement for one more season but then Galloway put out an article that inflamed it to the point that they just decided to part ways then.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jimmy was leaving no matter what.
He has said that many times
He never stayed anywhere longer than 5 years and he was burned out and ready to go fishing

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It is 2023.

A few notes:
Jimmy failed in Miami.
The NFL instituted a salary cap, which crushed the Dallas/SF/Buffalo dynasties.

Jerry's issue wasn't moving on from Jimmy who was dead tired and dead set on getting back to South Florida.
But allowing Jimmy to trigger him into mismanagement for the next decade plus.
He had no business promoting the spares he did and running the organization with that goofy power vacuum.
The mid 90s let's draft special teamers and contributors' model was the dumbest draft strategy in NFL history.

Jerry absolutely deserves a dunce hat but not at all for firing Jimmy.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Yeah we're at a point where I don't see how talking about Jerry Jones/ Jimmy Johnson changes anything. That was 30 years ago. It's time to move on.

The only way this team can truly get better is by improving the QB position and signing free agents. That's something we can do today. I'd rather them be bad and get a chance to reload, than continue at this level of being too good to draft premium players, and too bad, to get out of the 2nd round.

The fear of having a lull in the organization similar to the Campo years is crippling us. We could have been back 2 times by now if they would just let the process play out.

Instead, we're sitting here in a list of teams that includes:

Last Championship game appearance
1. Washington (1991)
2. Detroit (1991)
3. Dallas (1995)

Enough is enough.