CFZ Jerry Jones screwed it up by getting rid of Jimmy Johnson

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Some fans on this board has been claiming that Aikman was an average QB surrounded by great talent. Aikman was the last Super Bowl winning QB for Dallas so most definitely Aikman > everyone else since 1995
It's a lot of the Daksters who are trying to claim that Dak on the 90's Cowboys would of been Legendary.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Man, I can't imagine living in the past that much.

I've lost more in life than just football games, and if it taught me anything it is how to move on from the past.

Some of us still haven't learned that lesson, apparently, and still like living there.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
All this nostalgia nonsense is how we got Jason Garrett.

You have to remember that this is a different era.

We had money for all the free agents we needed back then. The NFL draft wasn't nearly as important when you could just pay to fill your holes and weaknesses with known-players. And you could draft good players, as Jimmy was good at for a few years, which is easier when you're 1-15.

But look at his body of work in Miami. And his draft insight after that was pretty awful.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Sadly with Jerry's money if he hired a GM after Jimmy we'd likely have 10 super bowls . Jerry would be the greatest owner in NFL history .

Instead he's laughable and the longest tenured GM in sports never to accomplish anything!
Except snatching defeat from the jaws of victory over and over.
Thank heavens the clock is ticking on Gerald!

Yup, in trying to chase glory, he's become a laughing stock. If he was able to have humility and get a GM, he'd be the greatest owner in League History.

Legend

Reaction score
All this nostalgia nonsense is how we got Jason Garrett.

You have to remember that this is a different era.

We had money for all the free agents we needed back then. The NFL draft wasn't nearly as important when you could just pay to fill your holes and weaknesses with known-players. And you could draft good players, as Jimmy was good at for a few years, which is easier when you're 1-15.

But look at his body of work in Miami. And his draft insight after that was pretty awful.
So you are saying the 1990s Cowboys went on a spending spree like the 1994 49ers did?

I thought the Cowboys traded away players like Hershel Walker in return for several draft picks and a few veteran players. And they also traded for Charles Haley. Jimmy stated he made 51 trades in 5 years.

Of course the stars wanted to be paid like Emmitt Smith did in 1993.

For the 1995 season; Jerry signed Deion Sanders to a huge contract. But that was post Jimmy.

JJ1986

Reaction score
So you are saying the 1990s Cowboys went on a spending spree like the 1994 49ers did?

I thought the Cowboys traded away players like Hershel Walker in return for several draft picks and a few veteran players. And they also traded for Charles Haley. Jimmy stated he made 51 trades in 5 years.

Of course the stars wanted to be paid like Emmitt Smith did in 1993.

For the 1995 season; Jerry signed Deion Sanders to a huge contract. But that was post Jimmy.
The Hershel Walker trade was one of the greatest coups ever! I wonder if we could find a similar sucker for Dak lol

Legend

Reaction score
I blame Jerry for shortening Aikman's career by putting a lousy offensive line in front of him.
And passing on Randy Moss or not at least trading back up into the first round to select him.

It would have been nice to see Randy Moss with the fading triplets.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jimmy was soft. He should have stuck around and pissed Jerry off until he fired him. That's what I do, I don't think I've ever quit a job.

Legend

Reaction score
Jimmy was soft. He should have stuck around and pissed Jerry off until he fired him. That's what I do, I don't think I've ever quit a job.
43 minutes of this video Emmitt is asking how could Jerry fire Jimmy Johnson after back to back SB wins and the success the Cowboys had in 5 seasons?

He stated he did not understand it then and does not understand it now.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference between ego and narcissism is ego commonly acknowledges an error in judgment eventually and tries to correct it, while narcissism remains defiantly inflexible for 34 years and counting.

rambo2

Reaction score
43 minutes of this video; Emmitt is mentioning the firing of Jimmy Johnson and to this day he still does not understand why.

If Jimmy just quit on the players and the team; he would not be held in such high regard by them today.

The video also mentions the Cowboys were never as dominant as they were during Jimmy Johnson’s last season with the team.

Jimmy quit.