News: Jerry Jones: Taco's hard in himself, and thats ok

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Being a fan of a team means being critical at times. Eating every rainbow that comes out of Jerry Jones’s butt doesn’t make you a fan, it makes you disgusting.

Be critical. Yes.

But don't root against a guy so you can prove that your uninformed internet guess two years ago was right.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Watt was the better choice and everyone here knew it. The only ones who didn’t were the guys with the power.

Actually, there were people who didn't understand the difference between a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE too.

Thanks for proving that point!

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I think coming into the NFL Taco was both raw and immature, the transition was tougher than he thought and the coaching was harder than he could handle. Now that the pity party is over and he's working harder to achieve success, a little confidence and job well done may be just what the doctor ordered.;)

Hardline

Reaction score
Players I openly called for when the Cowboys were on the board

Reuben Foster (elite skill) when healthy
TJ Watt
Ryan Ramczyk (pro bowler and all rookie team)

I haven't given up on Taco yet and think he can be on Greg Ellis level eventually

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I think coming into the NFL Taco was both raw and immature, the transition was tougher than he thought and the coaching was harder than he could handle. Now that the pity party is over and he's working harder to achieve success, a little confidence and job well done may be just what the doctor ordered.;)

I think you nailed, partner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watt was the better choice and everyone here knew it. The only ones who didn’t were the guys with the power.

But somehow, we're the ones that need to "get over it" when it's the homer crowd that struggles with dealing with the truth?

I'm not "apologizing" for being critical of a mistake I saw coming before it happened. Let the Cowboys apologize for it.

Some people are mature enough to be critical, to give the team praise when it's deserve and scorn when that's deserved too. But smaller minds can't handle that and think that the role of being a fan includes checking your brain at the door and being forced to love everything the team does.

It doesn't.

I'm not actively rooting against Taco Charlton. I hope the guy turns into a force on the field, it would benefit everyone. But I'm also not turning a blind eye to his struggles and the disappointment he has been to this point. I can do both.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doesnt matter what taco does people will still complain. Hes getting better and that should be a good thing even for haters.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
People need to remember that Taco Charlton was drafted BECAUSE it looked like DeMarcus Lawrence was a bust.

Lawrence was drafted to play RDE, replacing DeMarcus Ware. His rookie season, he had ZERO sacks. Then, they moved him to LDE to play against Right Tackles instead of Left Tackles, and he had 8 sacks in his 2nd year. But then, in his 3rd season, he had only 1 sack.

So, if you're in the Cowboys braintrust, you have to be thinking, "Dang, we traded up to get this guy in the 2nd round, and in two of his seasons, he had ZERO sacks and 1 sack. And he proved he can't play against top Left Tackles, like we hoped he could. We better draft a replacement for him, because there is no way we want to give this guy a 2nd contract, with only 9 sacks in 3 seasons."

So, they looked at the pass rushers still available with the 28th pick. They already had picked up Randy Gregory, who was a much better prospect than Lawrence, to play RDE. Watt played TE and OLB, was coming off of knee surgery, and only weighed 252 lbs. That is definitely NOT the profile of a LDE. At LDE, you want someone who is in the 280 lb range, who can set the corner against the run, and who can take on double teams from the Right Tackle and Tight End. Charlton weighed 277 lbs, and although not a twitchy athlete, projected to be a Justin Tuck/Tony Tolbert type of player (and still projects to that). That is the very definition of a journeyman Left Defensive End - which is what Charlton was projected to be.

And then Lawrence goes out and has a 14.5 sack season. The Cowboys were STILL not believers in Lawrence, and franchise tagged him instead of signing him to a long-term deal. If Lawrence regressed to his previous normal, they could let him walk and plug in Charlton. That didn't happen.

Now, look at it from Charlton's point of view. The Cowboys likely told him to learn behind Lawrence for one season, and then he would become the starter in 2018. Neither he, nor the Cowboys, expected Lawrence to have a break out season in 2017. When the Cowboys franchise tagged Lawrence, Charlton's promised starting position evaporated. The Cowboys tried to move him to RDE, but just like Lawrence, he doesn't have the skills to play consistently well against the big Left Tackles in the NFL. And, in 2018, Gregory came back, and started becoming the player he was expected to be when the entire NFL scouting community rated him a TOP 5 draft pick prospect. So once again, Charlton got sidelined, and he (immaturely) went into a mental funk at the end of last season. "Hope deferred makes the heart grow sick." And Charlton lost heart at the end of last year, when he realized the Cowboys weren't going to give him a starting job.

Fast forward to today, and Charlton now realizes that Lawrence has foreclosed his opportunity to become the starting LDE for the Cowboys. At RDE, although both are starting the season suspended, Quinn and Gregory are legitimate RDE talents. Charlton's personal expectations have been adjusted. Now, the best case scenario for Charlton is to strap on his helmet, and try display his talent for anther team, not the Cowboys, to give him a 2nd contract. He KNOWS his days in Dallas are numbered, especially now that Lawrence has signed the big contract extension. With his expectations adjusted, he is less likely to get discouraged, and I expect we'll see a much better effort from Charlton this season. Charlton needs to use the opportunity to learn as much as he can from Lawrence and the coaches, and then move on to another team.

The reality is 1) if Lawrence had been playing up expectations in 2016, the Cowboys would never have drafted Charlton to begin with, and 2) Charlton top end with the Cowboys is now being a backup to Lawrence. As such, he's never going to be given even a chance to live up to his 1st round pedigree in Dallas. So, it's better for fans to also adjust their expectations, and simply hope for quality play from Charlton for the next two seasons. Just like Martellus Bennett backing up Witten for 4 seasons, Charlton playing behind Lawrence is boxed in, and he is unlikely ever reach his potential in Dallas - unless Lawrence gets hurt.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Taco's making plays. Yeah I know it's preseason. But what he has done this summer is more than he has ever shown before. It looks like the light bulb has finally came on.
I keep saying, somebody saw something in him. That they like. I haven't given up yet. We haven't even seen him yet for I was I'm concerned

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Be critical. Yes.

But don't root against a guy so you can prove that your uninformed internet guess two years ago was right.

Root FOR the team by wanting the best 53 possible, which doesn’t include taco charlton.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I keep saying, somebody saw something in him. That they like. I haven't given up yet. We haven't even seen him yet for I was I'm concerned

Merrineli and his nonsense about wanting to draft DL with measurables and he will coach them up has completely failed. Lawrence being the only real success story.

kskboys

Reaction score
People need to remember that Taco Charlton was drafted BECAUSE it looked like DeMarcus Lawrence was a bust.

Lawrence was drafted to play RDE, replacing DeMarcus Ware. His rookie season, he had ZERO sacks. Then, they moved him to LDE to play against Right Tackles instead of Left Tackles, and he had 8 sacks in his 2nd year. But then, in his 3rd season, he had only 1 sack.

So, if you're in the Cowboys braintrust, you have to be thinking, "Dang, we traded up to get this guy in the 2nd round, and in two of his seasons, he had ZERO sacks and 1 sack. And he proved he can't play against top Left Tackles, like we hoped he could. We better draft a replacement for him, because there is no way we want to give this guy a 2nd contract, with only 9 sacks in 3 seasons."

So, they looked at the pass rushers still available with the 28th pick. They already had picked up Randy Gregory, who was a much better prospect than Lawrence, to play RDE. Watt played TE and OLB, was coming off of knee surgery, and only weighed 252 lbs. That is definitely NOT the profile of a LDE. At LDE, you want someone who is in the 280 lb range, who can set the corner against the run, and who can take on double teams from the Right Tackle and Tight End. Charlton weighed 277 lbs, and although not a twitchy athlete, projected to be a Justin Tuck/Tony Tolbert type of player (and still projects to that). That is the very definition of a journeyman Left Defensive End - which is what Charlton was projected to be.

And then Lawrence goes out and has a 14.5 sack season. The Cowboys were STILL not believers in Lawrence, and franchise tagged him instead of signing him to a long-term deal. If Lawrence regressed to his previous normal, they could let him walk and plug in Charlton. That didn't happen.

Now, look at it from Charlton's point of view. The Cowboys likely told him to learn behind Lawrence for one season, and then he would become the starter in 2018. Neither he, nor the Cowboys, expected Lawrence to have a break out season in 2017. When the Cowboys franchise tagged Lawrence, Charlton's promised starting position evaporated. The Cowboys tried to move him to RDE, but just like Lawrence, he doesn't have the skills to play consistently well against the big Left Tackles in the NFL. And, in 2018, Gregory came back, and started becoming the player he was expected to be when the entire NFL scouting community rated him a TOP 5 draft pick prospect. So once again, Charlton got sidelined, and he (immaturely) went into a mental funk at the end of last season. "Hope deferred makes the heart grow sick." And Charlton lost heart at the end of last year, when he realized the Cowboys weren't going to give him a starting job.

Fast forward to today, and Charlton now realizes that Lawrence has foreclosed his opportunity to become the starting LDE for the Cowboys. At RDE, although both are starting the season suspended, Quinn and Gregory are legitimate RDE talents. Charlton's personal expectations have been adjusted. Now, the best case scenario for Charlton is to strap on his helmet, and try display his talent for anther team, not the Cowboys, to give him a 2nd contract. He KNOWS his days in Dallas are numbered, especially now that Lawrence has signed the big contract extension. With his expectations adjusted, he is less likely to get discouraged, and I expect we'll see a much better effort from Charlton this season. Charlton needs to use the opportunity to learn as much as he can from Lawrence and the coaches, and then move on to another team.

The reality is 1) if Lawrence had been playing up expectations in 2016, the Cowboys would never have drafted Charlton to begin with, and 2) Charlton top end with the Cowboys is now being a backup to Lawrence. As such, he's never going to be given even a chance to live up to his 1st round pedigree in Dallas. So, it's better for fans to also adjust their expectations, and simply hope for quality play from Charlton for the next two seasons. Just like Martellus Bennett backing up Witten for 4 seasons, Charlton playing behind Lawrence is boxed in, and he is unlikely ever reach his potential in Dallas - unless Lawrence gets hurt.
Or:
Taco's scouting report made it plain that he is a player who develops slowly and we do not develop players well. Taco's development was happening his rook year, albeit slowly as the scouts said it would. Year two, Taco got hurt, which majorly hindered his development. Year three, Taco is finally starting to look as if he may be a player. Which is exactly in line w/ what was said about him predraft.

It's never been about effort w/ Taco. It's always been about learning the NFL game and getting over injury. He's actually proceeding at about the rate the scouts said he would. I think your guesswork is off in this case, as I highly highly doubt Taco has any of these thoughts you are attributing to him. Taco is high effort and very coachable, just a slow learner.