Video: Jerry Jones Talks About Trey Lance's Acquisition

Rayman70

Reaction score
Did Jerry jinx this kid already by just mouth farting? Jerry gets more cringy every time I hear him. At first it was entertaining, ;like a kooky uncle that u let talk and say off color stuff. But now hes getting out of control. He needs put down by the family.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A couple of things stand out to me on listening to both interviews. Sounds like the scouts had a mixture of grades on Lance (1st and 2nd). The Cowboys definitely overpaid with a 4th, I think they could have got him for a 5th but Jerry was desperate for them not to hang up. Overall I think it was the right move to make, but what worries me is I think the rest of the NFL have already decided Lance's career is not salvageable
Reportedly there is great interest in him, even more then the 49ers antipiciated.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be horrible if Lance doesn't pan out, yet we are seeing Will Grier tear it up tonight with Dak calling the plays.
Will Grier is already 28 years old.

His best opportunity would be with a team that does not have an entrenched starter for 2023.

It's really about Will Grier vs Cooper Rush, not Will Grier vs Trey Lance.

At 28, he needs to be the #2 QB. There is no point having a #3 developmental QB that is already 28.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was talking about both Joneses saying that this move had no basis in Dak's contract negotiation.
I can see Stephen Jones attempting to use this as a "shot over the bow" type of statement to Dak's agent.
- i.e. We're not desparate to re-sign Dak because Trey Lance has the upside potential to take over when Dak's contract expires after 2024.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Will Grier is already 28 years old.

His best opportunity would be with a team that does not have an entrenched starter for 2023.

It's really about Will Grier vs Cooper Rush, not Will Grier vs Trey Lance.

At 28, he needs to be the #2 QB. There is no point having a #3 developmental QB that is already 28.
True. I would prefer Will Grier over Cooper Rush, especially after Grier's Saturday night performance against the Raiders.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I can see Stephen Jones attempting to use this as a "shot over the bow" type of statement to Dak's agent.
- i.e. We're not desparate to re-sign Dak because Trey Lance has the upside potential to take over when Dak's contract expires after 2024.
He shot over McCarthy on camera and now over Dak.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reportedly there is great interest in him, even more then the 49ers antipiciated.
It's surprisingn that they gave up on him this quickly.

Sometimes GMs and Head Coaches involved in bad trades/picks want to get rid of the player because it's a constant reminder to fans and ownership.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. I would prefer Will Grier over Cooper Rush, especially after Grier's Saturday night performance against the Raiders.
Based on that 1 game, defintely; however, why hasn't he had any preseaon games remotely close to this one previously?
- He's been in the NFL for 4 seasons and going into season 5.

The entire offense played much better in PS game 3 than the previous 2 games. Why:
1: Dak calling plays.
2: In the first 2 PS games the other teams played starters to start the game but the Raiders didn't in game 3.
3: Grier suddenly got better in 1 week.
4: Win one for the gipper (Grier) mentality because they everybody knew he was goign to be cut afterwards.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Sometimes GMs and Head Coaches involved in bad trades/picks want to get rid of the player because it's a constant reminder to fans and ownership.
Heard he was a management pick, where their HC wanted Mac Jones. I agree why give up so early, there is no guarantee Prudy is the answer after 1/2 a season? Give DC's an offseason to figure him out.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Grier has always been inconsistent throughout his time with the team. He has been given more then enough time to make the next step and he failed to do so. Cooper on the other hand has been far more consistent. Yes, he has limitations in his game, but he plays to his strengths.

aikemirv

Reaction score
When asked about how this affects Dak. The key statement. "Of course not.....We shall see how this works out." That's a glowing endorsement.
That was not remotely in the same frame of reference

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fewest games played of any top (pick in the modern era of the NFL.

And that for a young, inexperienced player that everyone knew would need time to develop.

A clear example of compounding one mistake after another.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was it obvious to anyone else the Team Mouthpiece Mickey Spagnola made sure to state that this trade ‘didn’t have anything to do with Dak Prescott’?

That didn’t feel forced at all…
:rolleyes:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was it obvious to anyone else the Team Mouthpiece Mickey Spagnola made sure to state that this trade ‘didn’t have anything to do with Dak Prescott’?

That didn’t feel forced at all…
:rolleyes:
Oddly enough, Spagnola being Spagnola was not the worse thing during that segment. I edited the video and cut off what Hailey Sutton asked Jerry Jones at the end. She asked Jones what he thought of his visiting Al Davis recently.

Jones looked like a deer caught in headlights for about two seconds. Spagnola just froze and tilted his head like, "What did she just ask?"

Jones finally asked Sutton, "Mark Davis?" Sutton corrected herself but her question was still about Mark Davis. How did Jones respond? He talked about Al Davis and him back in the day. I loved Sutton saying something along the lines of 'Thank you Jerry for another of your favorite stories'.

I may upload and post that last bit later today. :muttley:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Both Joneses have spoken directly to the contrary. I can imagine it too. No reason to believe it is the case and direct evidence that it did not.

People just decide to believe whatever they want regardless of evidence nowadays. It's weird to me.