Jerry Jones, The GM, Suddenly Has Changed?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nice post Hos, you obviously put a lot of time into that. And you sure know how to raise a shi...um, to give us something to talk about while we kill time waiting for the playoffs.

I agree for the most part that Jerry hasn't changed. I do think, like has been said here a lot, that he has finally found a HC who can do the things a good head coach can do - motivate, lead, create a vision for the type of team he wants and to have his young players buy into it - AND who also has the right kind of personality and ego and patience to mesh with Jerry. I get really tired of the "we've been training him" storyline he and Stephen keep spouting. But Garrett has given every evidence that he can coexist with someone who probably will always fire his mouth off and say those kinds of things.

I've always agreed with your observation that Jerry has been willing, once he hires a HC, to try and give him what he needs in personnel terms. But that isn't an absolute. JJ may always do his GM-override of his HC from time to time. But I think that with that I'll-give-you-what-you-want style, he really needs a coach with a pretty strong vision of what he actually wants. He had that with Parcells and Jimmy, not so sure about all the others. Those two "special teams drafts", of 1995 (or was it 1994, I can't remember at the moment), and 2009 occurred with two coaches who seemed to be delighted just to be the head coach. I like Wade and I'd leap at the opportunity to go fishing with him. But I'm going to guess that the 2009 offseason (and maybe the R. Williams trade that preceded it) wouldn't have played out the same way with Garrett as HC. Or Parcells or Jimmy either, for that matter.

Garrett is the pretty much the perfect coach for Jerry, especially for something that is possibly sustainable for longer than a 4-5 year run. Given Jerry's personality and ego, he probably has a pretty narrow list of coaches who'd mesh with him like Garrett has. I've been a Garrett supporter since he was hired, although I know the reality in the NFL that process and vision only matters if it finally produces success. Thank goodness for 11-4, hope we get more.

And I do give lots of credit to Garrett for the emphasis on building the OL. It was a messy process and took some time, and there was obviously some luck and serendipity in having Smith, Fred and Martin all end up Cowboys. There is some luck involved in having something like a dominant o-line or d-line come together, including having the right players come available at the right time on draft day. It's not just about spending first round picks on the line, it's also about hitting on those picks.
Hey, great to see you posting. Hope you had a good Christmas.

Free is a UFA, so is Parnell. Parnell would be cheaper. I am wondering if he is not considered our future at RT? I personally would not at all be unhappy if we draft our RT either. I think Leary has turned out to be an awesome addition to this OL. Imagine if we added a RT in this Draft and were set at OL for a decade. I'd love it.

I do want to get our QB future started too.

honyock

Reaction score
Hey, great to see you posting. Hope you had a good Christmas.

Free is a UFA, so is Parnell. Parnell would be cheaper. I am wondering if he is not considered our future at RT? I personally would not at all be unhappy if we draft our RT either. I think Leary has turned out to be an awesome addition to this OL. Imagine if we added a RT in this Draft and were set at OL for a decade. I'd love it.

I do want to get our QB future started too.

Thanks, hope yours was good too. It's good to have some time off. I've been busy enough with work and personal life stuff that I've been reduced mainly to lurk mode on CZ this season.

But I slept late then had bacon for breakfast this morning. Lots of bacon. So life is good today. :)

If I had to bet right now, I'd bet that Parnell will be the starting RT for game one next year. For all the reasons that others have listed on a variety of threads...younger, stronger, probably quite a bit cheaper to sign, still with some upside. I won't be terribly surprised either way, but unless he totally spits the bit tomorrow, Parnell has probably showed them enough when he's subbed in for Free to give him his shot at RT next year.

And yes we really need to get a QB in waiting on the team, very soon. It'd be nice to have it be one of those rare years coming up with multiple day one draft picks.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jobber, can you be a trooper and go back and make your reply easier to read and much more to reply to?

That would be helpful.

I've reread the posts and they should be clear enough for most. I think you're playing games with me which I'm not interesting in doing. Perhaps you can explain to all what you are confused about. I'm going to bed but I'll see any response tomorrow.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't buy it. Jason didn't even get to decide who calls plays. Jerry and Stephen have talked about "training" Garrett. All of this may be true but it's not how the Joneses think it works. I've watched the war room every year and Garrett always looks like he's just along for the ride.

And Jerry pretty much said Garrett kept interfering with the offense last year and they don't want him there and will have him walking around on defense.

Jerry has made it clear he wanted Romo to be working alongside Linehan running this offense. It goes back even a year prior when he said he wanted him to be more like Peyton when given the contract. Prior to that, it was clear that Romo wasn't even that involved in game-planning.

Jerry's gushed this training camp
About the Linehan Romo relationship as being the biggest thing.

khiladi

Reaction score
The following post pertains to the Frederick draft war room cam ONLY. It does not pertain to all war room cams and drafts and does not pertain to the Ops post.

If you watched the live war cam there was nothing random about. If you watched the live war cam during the first round of the Frederick draft you will see that Garret was not happy. You will also see Jerry and Stephen getting yelled at and them defending the move while the HC sat there looking pissed. I don't care how anyone else tries to say otherwise. Now at the end of the day it panned out. However if anyone argues that nobody could tell what was going on it tells me one of two things.

1 they, themselves, did not actually watch it live so they only seen random images later.
2 they are in denial and wish to minimize the anger that was in the war room when that trade was made.

This has already been reported in Blogging the Boys and Stephen Jones said it, confirming the draft room 'chaos'. They were slated to take Floyd on the board and it was changed at the last minute. And the reason was because of the defensive coaches.

What is shocking about it, was Jones said it kind of slipped through the cracks, because of the change in defense from 3-4 to 4-3. What is shocking is that change was announced in January, so I don't buy it. Stephen is also 'personnel'

I think Marinelli just pushed Jerry not to go for him and Jerry made the call last minute, which confirms your impressions.

This year, Jerry said they were going defense, the fourth being Zach. All three were gone by the time of Martin.

In both cases, Dallas was targeting defense their first picks. It also goes along with the notion they though defense was the primary issue.

From a personnel standpoint, Dallas didn't see offense as a major problem. Jerry said the beginning of this year, they wanted Callahan to be the play caller last year but Garrett kept getting involved and Garrett was effectively the play caller. Jerry said it wasn't fair to Callahan as well, because the offense is not his. So they brought in Linehan when he became available. Even before he became available, Lacewell in an interview right after the season was over was alluding to them looking into a 'new OC'.

This also confirms the issues of a rift between Callahan and Jason last year. Callahan wanted to leave and even Stephen Jones said this, but he has one year left. Jerry didn't even let the Ravens and Cleveland interview him.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Vision:

Garrett brought in Houck, same guy he worked with in Dallas and Miami. He is primarily a power-blocking, beefy lineman guy. They must have drafted accordingly.

Dallas gets Callahan. Completely revamps the line with HIS blocking-schemes, which Garrett never worked with at all in his career. These schemes require thinner, quicker and more agile blockers. Dallas gets Leary, Frederik and Martin. Frederik in particular a guy that Callahan worked out at Wisconsin.

Last year:

Garrett and Callahan rifting with Callahan wanting to leave. Jerry refuses to even let him interview, the guy has to play out his contract.

So they changed blocking schemes and whole defenses during Garrett's tenure, the defensive change Lacewell taking full credit for, and all part of Garrett's vision and process... I remember when Rob was fired, Garrett said it was because of lack of TOs and needing to give the offense more chances with the ball.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Jerry pretty much said Garrett kept interfering with the offense last year and they don't want him there and will have him walking around on defense..

No he didn't.

That ice floe you're standing on is getting smaller and smaller, btw. The good news is, you can wade on in whenever you want to. The water is fine.

You can even use the fig leaf that it's Jason Garrett who's changed if you want to. We won't even call you on it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't buy it. Jason didn't even get to decide who calls plays. Jerry and Stephen have talked about "training" Garrett. All of this may be true but it's not how the Joneses think it works. I've watched the war room every year and Garrett always looks like he's just along for the ride.

Jones seems to credit Garrett. It is not like Jones is saying look what I have done he commented this team success starts with Jason Garrett. I think Jason has a hell of a lot more pull with Jerry than people think.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
I also tend to agree Jerry Jones has not changed. If so, I predict the success of this season will be short-lived. :( A small part of me hopes he is doing less in football matters.

He hired the assistants before making Garrett HC, signed TO over Parcells objections, is one of two owners that is a GM and the only one that's on the field. If that's not meddling - what is?

With him, less is better - much better.

khiladi

Reaction score
No he didn't.

That ice floe you're standing on is getting smaller and smaller, btw. The good news is, you can wade on in whenever you want to. The water is fine.

You can even use the fig leaf that it's Jason Garrett who's changed if you want to. We won't even call you on it.

You simply have a hard time admitting It. To you it was always about the defense with all is well with the offense. And Lo and behold the biggest chAsnge that has happened is the offensive play calling because Garrett has been removed from it.

The new excuse is he never wanted to be playcaller and this whole setup was part of the process.

I know it's hard. Yes Jerry did "pretty much" say it and his words have been quoted ad Nauseum by me and you keep coming back with "I know you are but what am I."

Last edited: