News: Jerry Jones: You don't need a rushing champ to win SB

John813

Reaction score
SJ says Gurley is the starting point contract wise and IIRC said Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink.
JJ now says you don't need the league leading rusher to win the SB, knowing that Zeke would of been the champ the past 3 years if not for whack suspension.

SJ is the good cop and JJ playing the bad cop?

lol

Altestic

Reaction score
Ah and there it is folks! No wonder all your posts are about trading Zeke.
yes, count me as one of the guys at the UNT Union my last semester of graduation at UNT who was watching with all the other guys pissed off that we took a low value short shelf life guy instead of a surefire superstar DB

Mr_437

Reaction score
Jerry's right about the league, in general not needing the leading rusher. However, the Dallas Cowboys need #21 to win a SB.

Not really feeling Jerry talk SBs after the past quarter century. Still waiting on this .500 HC to win a SB like Jimmy did.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has an amazing grasp of the obvious and that's a real weak shot across Elliott's bow meaning the Cowboys don't have to have him. Unfortunately, Elliott and his agent have seen the Cowboys without Elliott.

Now, they haven't seen the Cowboys with these two young backs and if I was out to get his attention, I'd start featuring them and get some mojo working for them. Give them cute nicknames like Thunder and Lightning and give false weather forecasts of storms in Oxnard.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
yes, count me as one of the guys at the UNT Union my last semester of graduation at UNT who was watching with all the other guys pissed off that we took a low value short shelf life guy instead of a surefire superstar DB

I am glad you are so mad they took Zeke over big mouth

cern

Reaction score
Means nothing. Zeke is getting signed. He will join the team.
The arguments will shift and life will go on.
Not so sure anymore. Negotiating money is one thing. Perceived ingratitude is another. How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Not so sure anymore. Negotiating money is one thing. Perceived ingratitude is another. How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.
Nah. There's no crying in football. Old boy is getting signed.
If not, we'll hear and read a lot more public stuff softening us to the idea of him off the team.
Maybe Jerry's interview today is the 1st step...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't get too caught up in his words.......he said you don't need a rushing CHAMPION to win a Super Bowl and he's right. Doesn't mean elite three-down RB aren't valuable. Think about it, you don't your Tony Dorssett, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulks didn't impact their teams' success. Don't get me wrong, I agree there's a better way Zeke can handle this but to take Jerry's statement and say suddenly an elite RB can't impact a teams' success is a bit misguided IMO.
Yes, Jerry is right that we don’t need a rushing champ to win a Super Bowl. But you do have to have an effective running game. NE can run the ball whenever they need to but they don’t have a great a RB. Most SB winners this century have not had a star at RB.

The problem for the Cowboys is they don’t have a proven backup that could give them a stronger negotiating position. The rookie RBs we have like Pollard are more like spot players rather than a bell cow. Darrius Jackson has potential but as the great Darrel Royal once said, “Potential just means you ain’t done it yet.”

CWR

Reaction score
At this point I'd say just trade Zeke. I would have a different opinion a year ago, but for all the problems he's caused off the field in his short NFL career I'm shocked at how much brass he has. He comes off as a bit entitled.

Before you disagree with that, check is long list of off the field issues before doing so.

As much as I want him to he our rb for the next 6 years I am terrified at the idea of him having all that money guaranteed.

He has put the front office in a bad spot, because they know damn good and well they can not trust him.

CWR

Reaction score
Wrong. Jerry and the front office are not in a tough situation. The only ones who are in a tough situation are the hardcore Zeke supporters who are siding with the player over the team. Jerry is making it clear that we can reach the Super Bowl without Zeke. I agree with him.

You know what Jerry says and what Jerry does are often two different things right?

It is a tough spot. They want to resign him, but they know the risk.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Start calling in the available Vets out there they can pick up as the short term bell cow. Zeke is a terrible financial fit for the Cowboys even if he offered a 25% discount. Try to get a first round pick for him and move on. He will only hold the team back with that big salary. The money invested in the OL has to be exploited.

J12B

Reaction score
Start calling in the available Vets out there they can pick up as the short term bell cow. Zeke is a terrible financial fit for the Cowboys even if he offered a 25% discount. Try to get a first round pick for him and move on. He will only hold the team back with that big salary. The money invested in the OL has to be exploited.

Jay Ajayi?

cern

Reaction score
Nah. There's no crying in football. Old boy is getting signed.
If not, we'll hear and read a lot more public stuff softening us to the idea of him off the team.
Maybe Jerry's interview today is the 1st step...
Veremos carnal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you don't have to have a passing champion or receiving champion to win a Super Bowl, but the better the weapons, the better the chances. In recent years the Eagles and Seahawks sure benefitted from a strong running game as they went on to win Super Bowls. Who knows if either would have done as well in the regular season or playoffs without it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
tenor.gif