Twitter: Jerry looking bigger than Riley?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You win the division at 9-7 with the tiebreaker to 9-7 Philly. Garrett beats the Vikings round 1 at home and you play the Saints tough in the divisional round. It comes down to a weird play with a odd fumble bounce or a td pass that was tipped up into the air toward the end of the game and the saints move on.

jerry says Garrett would have saved his job if he made the conference championship, and it’s not fair to fire him because of random chance that occurred where the Cowboys should have beaten the Saints. Garrett shows leadership in the winning streak at the end of the season and he believes it’ll continue on into 2020. 1 year extension.

This sounds exactly like what will happen, as it’s happened basically this way for the last 10 years.

timb2

Reaction score
Who coaches at Arkansas??? Or did? Who was that guy who walked out of the Atlanta Falcons and went to Arkansas? That has to be Jed & Jethro's plan.

Duane

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin.......said it before, this team needs a coach with strong leadership. Not necessarily a disciplinary but an alpha dog so to speak. I'm not worried about X&0 guys on either side of the ball, get your best coor to take care of that. We have a good group of top young players yelling for leadership IMO.

BTW...what you guys think of Mike Shanahan
Tomlin is someone I've thought about for a while too. He was able to keep AB pretty much under control and that says something.

As for Shanahan, he's closing in on 70 so I think he's out of the picture.

erod

Reaction score
what makes riley big? Oklahoma has all kinds of talent and plays no good teams.

Coaching in Dallas you don't get to play against texas tech, kansas, texas, ok. state or tulsa etc...

I honestly dont get the riley thing. designing a good offense is one thing but means nothing when it comes to the nfl.
Baker Mayfield

Kyler Murray

Jalen Hurts

Made all three legitimate.

What could he do with Dak?

Plays the QB under center a lot.

Run first oriented

College and pro style offense.

Should I continue?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Urban Meyer makes the most sense out of anyone available.

There really aren’t any big fish out there that are available is there?

I like Lincoln Riley but I’m not confident in his game management skills. Play designing he is absolutely phenomenal and what he does translates to the Pro’s.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score

Coaching in Dallas you don't get to play against texas tech, kansas, texas, ok. state or tulsa etc...

I honestly dont get the riley thing. designing a good offense is one thing but means nothing when it comes to the nfl.
Agree.

Although none of us know, he could be great or terrible. But I don’t get the hype around him.

I just hope we get the right guy, whoever he may be.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield

Kyler Murray

Jalen Hurts

Made all three legitimate.

Plays the QB under center a lot.

Run first oriented

College and pro style offense.

Should I continue?

not to me you shouldn't. Oklahoma plays no one and wins nothing. Having great talent and superior talent to their opponents is the main reason they win. The big 12 is a complete joke. Its just a bunch of teams scoring a million points every week. Its unwatchable including Riley's OU team. Some of the worst football I have ever seen.

this guy as head coach calling plays week in and week out with jerry and steve hovering over him is a recipe for a complete disaster.

erod

Reaction score
Urban Meyer makes the most sense out of anyone available.

There really aren’t any big fish out there that are available is there?

I like Lincoln Riley but I’m not confident in his game management skills. Play designing he is absolutely phenomenal and what he does translates to the Pro’s.
He is a fantastic game manager . He just inherited Mike Stoops and can't outscore the worst defenses in Oklahoma history.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
Best bets to be Cowboys next HC?:

Payton:
Jerry has said in the past one of the biggest mistakes he’s ever made was letting Sean get away.
How many 1st Rounders would it take in a trade?

Belichick:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave the Patriots after this season. Especially if they win the SB again and Brady leaves.
Would $20 Million per be enough? Would he even consider working for Jerry?

Meyer:
Has said openly that he’d have to listen if Jerry called.
I’d be fine with this. Great mind that can hopefully groom the next guy since Meyer never sticks around too long at any one place.

Riley:
May be the next big thing, but is he really what Jerry is looking for? If I’m taking a guy from the college ranks, I’m going with Meyer. Plus, he’s making so much now, Jerry would have to break the bank for a big unknown IMHO.

The Field:
Probably the safest bet, since no one really knows what’s rattling around in whatever is left of JJ’s senile mind.

Going to be an interesting offseason one way or another.

wecasa

Reaction score
Why would a college coach who makes millions, is worshiped by the student body and alums/boosters and gets to pick the groceries every year want to give all that up to work for Jerry Jones? The guy that fired Tom, ran off Jimmy Johnson after 2 super bowl victories, fired chan gailey, ran off bill p, bungled the wade phillips era and holding on to king mediocre for going on 10 years. Never mind the fact that old jer still thinks hes a football guy and talent evaluator.

I'm not opposed to a fresh young mind. I would like to see the stale incompetent mind in old Jer resign his duties of player personnel and focus on marketing and selling t shirts. Hire a guy and give him the keys to football operations. No more jer making picks. No more jer meddling behind the scenes. No more Jer coddling players. No more country club.

Right the ship and stay out of the way.

Sydla

Reaction score
I find the logic that Jerry wants Garrett to say until the end of the year so they can have a clean break pretty stupid if true.

Even if Richard, if named interim, got them to the playoffs, you could still clean house at year end.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I know it wouldn’t happen but give me Belichick or John Harbaugh

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It must be Bellicheck. Pay him $10 mill a year and let's win some SBs
He's making more than that now and in charge of the football part of the team, why would he leave that? He chose that job over the Jets because of the control factor. Think he's coming to the worst team for coach control?

NumOneQB

Reaction score

Agreed. Stoops built that program and Riley just got into the driver seat on cruise control. Dallas needs a seasoned NFL coach - former HC, current OC/DC, or hell even an OL, DB, RB etc. coach. Someone with years of experience and not another experiment to learn on the job.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Dabo is already making a whopping $9 million a year. He has the top rated QB from my St John Bosco coming too. He wouldn't leave just yet.

It won’t be cheap but a guy like that could really command a lot from Jerry

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Best bets to be Cowboys next HC?:

Payton:
Jerry has said in the past one of the biggest mistakes he’s ever made was letting Sean get away.
How many 1st Rounders would it take in a trade?

Belichick:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave the Patriots after this season. Especially if they win the SB again and Brady leaves.
Would $20 Million per be enough? Would he even consider working for Jerry?

Meyer:
Has said openly that he’d have to listen if Jerry called.
I’d be fine with this. Great mind that can hopefully groom the next guy since Meyer never sticks around too long at any one place.

Riley:
May be the next big thing, but is he really what Jerry is looking for? If I’m taking a guy from the college ranks, I’m going with Meyer. Plus, he’s making so much now, Jerry would have to break the bank for a big unknown IMHO.

The Field:
Probably the safest bet, since no one really knows what’s rattling around in whatever is left of JJ’s senile mind.

Going to be an interesting offseason one way or another.

I am not good with trading picks for a coach. So that eliminates coach Payton and probably coach belichick. I just don’t see how the pats could possibly not have him under contract right now so that eliminates him.

So first choice Urban. 2. Sweeney 3. Riley

those are the only choices I will be happy with. Anyone else is a failure.

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm guessing Saban. Though Riley and Meyer are both more modern, Jerry is looking for the biggest name and doesn't realize Saban may be past his best before date now