Jerry Not Sure Why Edelman Fumble Overturned

sunalsorises

Reaction score
To me there was clear conclusive video showing he didn’t touch it. But from one angle it looks like he does. The other angle clearly shows he didn’t
But I sure see how an official thought he did
Replay got it right

Ultimately, I think they got the call right and that he did not touch the ball. The procedure is strange, though. The refs almost had to call it a turnover to trigger the automatic review which then becomes the call on the field. The video evidence can really only confirm the call by showing conclusively he touched it. It is basically impossible to prove a negative so it was asking too much for video evidence to conclusively show he did not touch it. The call on the field needed to stand according to NFL policy but in this case it would not have produced the correct call.

conner01

Reaction score
Ultimately, I think they got the call right and that he did not touch the ball. The procedure is strange, though. The refs almost had to call it a turnover to trigger the automatic review which then becomes the call on the field. The video evidence can really only confirm the call by showing conclusively he touched it. It is basically impossible to prove a negative so it was asking too much for video evidence to conclusively show he did not touch it. The call on the field needed to stand according to NFL policy but in this case it would not have produced the correct call.
I wish any questionable call was reviewed upstairs and stop play if it needs a longer look
Right now they could blow 5 calls and can challenge and be correct yet you still run out of challenges
I get not totally slowing down the game but I want all calls to be right
Had that been ruled he didn’t touch it then a challenge would have had to be used and it’s then gone
There has to be a better way with the technology of today

CPanther95

Reaction score
I wish any questionable call was reviewed upstairs and stop play if it needs a longer look
Right now they could blow 5 calls and can challenge and be correct yet you still run out of challenges
I get not totally slowing down the game but I want all calls to be right
Had that been ruled he didn’t touch it then a challenge would have had to be used and it’s then gone
There has to be a better way with the technology of today

It never made sense to me to limit challenges. They should get rid of the auto reviews under 2 minutes, keep them for turnovers/scores, then allow as many challenges as a team wants as long as they have a timeout to spend if they are wrong.

The only way a game gets extended enough to cause any problems is if the officiating is horrendous.

erod

Reaction score
Reverse the situation. Does that get overturned for Kansas City?

I think you know the answer to that.

That's EXACTLY why the league office is involved in these reviews now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reverse the situation. Does that get overturned for Kansas City?

I think you know the answer to that.

That's EXACTLY why the league office is involved in these reviews now.

Yes, that would have been overturned for KC. Even if one were to subscribe to the theory that the game was fixed, TV had all the zoomed in, slow motion replays from multiple angles, so the evidence was there for all to see.

Praxit

Reaction score
....dont worry Jerry, the Rams will over turn Brady's head. ;)..

erod

Reaction score
Yes, that would have been overturned for KC. Even if one were to subscribe to the theory that the game was fixed, TV had all the zoomed in, slow motion replays from multiple angles, so the evidence was there for all to see.
Well, Troy Aikman, Daryl Johnston, and most others disagree with you.

It wasn't definitive at all. You stay with the call on the field.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Troy Aikman, Daryl Johnston, and most others disagree with you.

It wasn't definitive at all. You stay with the call on the field.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/21/julian-edelman-you-have-to-have-a-short-memory/

This articles says that the video showed it wasn't touched. Obviously a lot in this site thought it was clear it wasn't touched, while others thought it wasn't so clear. I tried to find other stories online that comment on whether the refs got it right or wrong on replay, but almost every story merely says it was called one way and overturned without comment about whether it was right or wrong. I'm not seeing any outrage online that the refs screwed up with the overturn other than some tweets from individuals, but not from media. In any case, all I can go by is what I saw, and what I saw I felt was clear.

erod

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/21/julian-edelman-you-have-to-have-a-short-memory/

This articles says that the video showed it wasn't touched. Obviously a lot in this site thought it was clear it wasn't touched, while others thought it wasn't so clear. I tried to find other stories online that comment on whether the refs got it right or wrong on replay, but almost every story merely says it was called one way and overturned without comment about whether it was right or wrong. I'm not seeing any outrage online that the refs screwed up with the overturn other than some tweets from individuals, but not from media. In any case, all I can go by is what I saw, and what I saw I felt was clear.
Aikman and Johnston both said it on local Dallas radio this week. Not enough evidence to overturn.

These same refs took away the most obvious fumble and recovery in NFL history on the first play of our game against the Eagles. I felt really dirty about winning that game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman and Johnston both said it on local Dallas radio this week. Not enough evidence to overturn.

These same refs took away the most obvious fumble and recovery in NFL history on the first play of our game against the Eagles. I felt really dirty about winning that game.

I think that was a different situation. The refs definitely screwed that up.

aria

Reaction score
I knew that it would be overturned, because Patriots.

I wasn't at all surprised by the total BS roughing the passer call, because Patriots.

I wasn't at all surprised by a penalty like the neutral zone infraction that didn't affect the play and wiped out Brady's pick that would've ended the game, because Patriots.

I was 100% that they would win the coin toss, because Patriots.

I hate that team so much. They're great. But they've also had so much luck, cupcake schedules and playoff runs, teams totally choking against them, they've cheated, and they get all the calls.
Did you know the Chiefs would getvan illegal TD or a similar call against Mahomes?

Agree with most of the others but they don’t get “all” the calls.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I agree. Definitely didn't touch...........lucky SOB!

Yeah and doesn't it always happen that way for the Pats? Balls bouncing off peoples feet, just where the receiver could get his hands on it. Coaches making absolutely duh! calls (Carroll) that hands the game to the Pats on a silver platter.

Gotta be the luckiest team ever, just ahead of the Steelers....

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

given how often we are screwed over royally, I never feel dirty when a call that early in the game benefits us. We would have won the game anyway.

aria

Reaction score
for someone who claims to be a Cowboy fan, you always seem to take the other team's side, why is that?
Because I’m not a subjective homer that constantly whines and claims conspiracy anytime something doesn’t go our way? I know that’s a tough concept for some of you to grasp, it requires taking off the blue shaded glasses, not always playing the “poor me/us” angle and being objective. You should try it sometime, you may actually be happy with the results and won’t sound like a cry baby, no offense.