Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Egomaniac
Sources
https://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=egomaniac
https://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=narcissist
https://www.psychiatryonline.org/action/doSearch?AllField=egomaniac
https://www.psychiatryonline.org/action/doSearch?AllField=narcissist

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...-fine-line-between-narcissism-and-egocentrism

A significant portion of the general public does observe someone's behavior like Jerry Jones and auto-reflexively label that individual as an egomaniac. It is a common notable definition mentioned in dictionaries, Wikipedia, etc.

If that segment of the public ventured to a more concise dedicated professional medical web resource like WebMD and searched for "egomaniac", they would receive zero results. Conversely, a search for "narcissist" would generate 19 results.

However, WebMD is an all-encompassing medical information resource. A more specific psychological resource can be found at Psychiatry Online, the publishing division of the American Psychiatric Association. On this psychiatry based website, a search for "egomaniac" will reveal one result, as opposed to searching for "narcissist" producing 3,415 matches.

In an April 2012 Psychology Today article entitled "It’s a Fine Line Between Narcissism and Egocentrism", Dr. Susan Krauss Whitbourne, a University of Massachusetts Amherst professor of psychological and brain sciences, wrote:

In egocentrism, you’re unable to see someone else’s point of view; but in narcissism, you may see that view but not care about it.

I think it is appropriate using the pronoun "most." In my opinion, most people, or most Cowboys fans in particular, see Jerry Jones' actions and statements as a byproduct of him being deaf-and-blind to what other people say. My decades of closely observing Jerry Jones makes me believe the opposite. I "know" he comprehends EVERYTHING said to him or about him but he does not necessarily care.

I found another passage in Dr. Whitbourne's article interesting, in which she said:

It’s very easy to slip from ordinary egocentrism to entitled narcissism. Without encountering any adverse consequences, people such as chronic latecomers see no reason to change their behavior. No one complains, no job is lost, and all they get are the rewards of drawing everyone’s attention.

The problem is exaggerated among people who gradually acquire public recognition. Actors, musicians, reality show contestants, and <censored> who start to grab the eye of the media are particularly prone to taking on narcissistic tendencies. If they don’t remain grounded in their previous reality, they can become victim to the narcissistic bubble in which they lose their sense of accountability for their behavior. The grand entrance becomes almost a required part of their job and if they’re not careful, it can lead them to take on an entitled attitude toward their friends and family.
I agree with Dr. Whitbourne's conclusion entitled narcissists "lose their sense of accountability for their behavior". Dr. Whitbourne does not equate that same personality deficit to egocentrics, which is essentially the same label as egomaniac, but it is understandable why most people might not discern any difference between their conclusion and hers if it were applied to Jerry Jones.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
secondary market update. there are 400 level seats going for 20 bucks and party passes for 2 dollars. There are club level 200 seats going for 175. that is half of face value.

I have my seat at 40 dollars below face value and it won't sell. I will probably have to sell it for 75 bucks or something.

There may actually be empty seats for the first time ever there tomorrow. If people were going to buy tickets they would have bought the already I think. Most of the stadium is owned by people who never go to games and just sell the seats...so if they cant sell the seats there will be no one in them.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Everyone knew this. This isn't news. I don't even ask him to sell the team, just hire a GM who knows what the hell he is doing and stay in your little owners box like the rest of the league. Jerry the owner is not a problem for me. It's Jerry the GM that I absolutely cannot stand. It's Jerry the PR guy that I cannot stand. Stay in your lane, old man. You're good at buying things and selling snake oil. Stick to that.

rags

Reaction score
People just need to start booing him every time they see him.

No.

Fans need to stop going to the games and buying merchandise. That's the only way to send Jerry a message. Hit him in the wallet.

But that will probably never happen.

Sigh.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
secondary market update. there are 400 level seats going for 20 bucks and party passes for 2 dollars. There are club level 200 seats going for 175. that is half of face value.

I have my seat at 40 dollars below face value and it won't sell. I will probably have to sell it for 75 bucks or something.

There may actually be empty seats for the first time ever there tomorrow. If people were going to buy tickets they would have bought the already I think. Most of the stadium is owned by people who never go to games and just sell the seats...so if they cant sell the seats there will be no one in them.

Oh, my. This is a poster I have not seen (or perhaps noticed) in a long, long time. Granted, I don't post as much as I used to and took a long hiatus during grad school, but it seems like you've been gone forever. How are you doing, my guy?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

No one will notice unless there are 60,000 or more empty seats. But even then, Jerry still won't care - he already got paid for the seat and probably doesn't care if a person occupies the seat or not.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jerry is wagging his finger at the gods, tempting fate.

The truth is, I don't want him to sell the team. I know that he never will. What I want is for him to get out of the way and hire some real qualified football people to run the show. Whether he believes it or not, time will remove him from his position.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
No one will notice unless there are 60,000 or more empty seats. But even then, Jerry still won't care - he already got paid for the seat and probably doesn't care if a person occupies the seat or not.

yes they already made their money, but they have a part of seat geek I believe and will be losing a little when the secondary market crashes like this.

Also, if there were to be a lot of empty seats in the end zones or the 200 club levels it would be noticeable. No one will notice empty seats in the 300, 400 or party pass...The end zones and club levels will stick out though.

There are good tickets available for less than the parking in the lots close to the stadium right now. Last week the tampa game brought the highest prices ever for the stadium and this week it is evening out.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Empty stadiums would change things...and pigs flying would be a thing also... guy has a super huge ego though, the booing last week was a start now if those same fans would bring signs about hating jerry for the national TV audience to see the ego couldn't take it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I feel a "realistic" 50% - 60% decrease in home stadium ticket sales, combined with a 15% - 25% downturn in merchandising sales, on a sustained basis of three-to-five years, will only make Jerry Jones double-down on remaining as general manager.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Well there you go….

Although we knew this it still stings hearing this maniac say it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not asking you to sell the team, old man. Just bring in a competent GM to run football operations. Maybe get rid of Kellen Moore?
Jones latched onto Moore as he did Jason Garrett. It would not surprise me at all seeing Moore jettisoned after the season if 8 to 12 additional games or more end up with touchdown or less final scores.

It is Jones' expectation that his knowledge of football makes him uniquely qualified to judge offensive coaching talent. That was one of the few reasons why he could not sever himself from Garrett. However, I think he will give up on Moore if the offense continues to falter as badly as it did last Sunday night for half or the majority of the season.

Mannix

Reaction score
Notice he said he'd BE mad too. Not he IS mad, but he'd be mad...if he cared. Which he doesn't. But I give Jerry at least a 15% chance he actually decides to improve the team if we have a worst-case season...but we'll have to go winless. Stephen, on the other hand, just doesn't care and doesn't even try to hide it.

Something else he can't hide is that Barry Bonds pumpkinhead of his...OMG...if he's gonna do roids at least work out along with it. :muttley::muttley::muttley:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Jones latched onto Moore as he did Jason Garrett. It would not surprise me at all seeing Moore jettisoned after the season if 8 to 12 additional games or more end up with touchdown or less final scores.

It is Jones' expectation that his knowledge of football makes him uniquely qualified to judge offensive coaching talent. That was one of the few reasons why he could not sever himself from Garrett. However, I think he will give up on Moore if the offense continues to falter as badly as it did last Sunday night for half or the majority of the season.
My hope is that Jerry, in his advanced years is ready to open up the check book for coaching, and free agents. Jerry won’t be around for another 15 years.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My hope is that Jerry, in his advanced years is ready to open up the check book for coaching, and free agents. Jerry won’t be around for another 15 years.
The likelihood that a personality like Jones' changing radically or even moderately, before he is pushing up daisies, is remote. The key for a change is addressing his personality directly and that has happened very rarely.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Empty stadiums would change things...and pigs flying would be a thing also... guy has a super huge ego though, the booing last week was a start now if those same fans would bring signs about hating jerry for the national TV audience to see the ego couldn't take it.

Fans were booing and what was Jerry's response to the angry fans? "I'm never selling the team". Hell with Jerry.......

scottsp

Reaction score
Not even a Donald Sterling chain of events would make it happen. A Jones will control this club until the end of time, when football is no more.

We are hostages.