Twitter: Jerry on Kellen/Boise Job “The bottom line is, when it’s there, take it.”

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good for KM if he takes it. I do not think Dallas will suffer if he leaves.

rags747

Reaction score
*** is he talking about “two buzzards on a limb”? I know Jerry’s deep into his proverbial sayings, but they’re reaching new heights.

KM is good in all places but the red zone. Regardless, it will hurt to see him go.
That’s a very old Jerry saying, that buzzards saying was on his desk. In one of the Cowboys books many moons ago.

cern

Reaction score
kellen has more leverage against bsu than the cowboys.

Reaction score
Sounds like the Boise State job is his if he wants it. Or close to that.
It will be a significant loss to the Cowboys, but I think he should take the job.
Moore has no contract after the year, so the only thing Jerry could do to stop him is throw money at him, which I don't think he will do. I don't think Jerry wants him to leave, but will not stand in his way if Moore decides to leave

Primetime42

Reaction score
You can really tell who the "new" fans are.

Jerry's been using that particular saying for years.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Basically, I translate it as the Boise job pays $2M/year or more. I am not matching that. The Boise job could be the stepping stone you need in becoming a HC of an even bigger college program or NFL.

My boss would be truthful with me about any offer I may receive. No boss wants to hold back an employee.

People call Jerry a lot of things but one thing I can say about Jerry is that he is honest to a fault. Jerry does not lie. I like that in a person.

conner01

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say he necessarily wants Kellen to leave.

I’ve had employees leave for better opportunities. And even if they’re a great employee who I don’t want to see leave, I encourage them to do so and feel happy for them if it’s a better opportunity for them and their family.

It’s not personal. It’s business. Jerry understands that more than anyone.
Exactly

cern

Reaction score
Basically, I translate it as the Boise job pays $2M/year or more. I am not matching that. The Boise job could be the stepping stone you need in becoming a HC of an even bigger college program or NFL.

My boss would be truthful with me about any offer I may receive. No boss wants to hold back an employee.

People call Jerry a lot of things but one thing I can say about Jerry is that he is honest to a fault. Jerry does not lie. I like that in a person.
jerry paid lousy oc garrett as much or more than phillips, his hc. as for stepping stones, being a highly successful oc in the nfl is a much faster track to being an nfl hc than being a good college coach.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Good start for Kellen as HC at Boise. If successful, Jerry can call on him down the road.

cern

Reaction score
sean payton was our oc under bill parcells. though that is years old. recently, however, note the following hc's:
sean mcvay, kyle shanahan, matt lafleur, kevin stefanski. all nfl oc's.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
jerry paid lousy oc garrett as much or more than phillips, his hc. as for stepping stones, being a highly successful oc in the nfl is a much faster track to being an nfl hc than being a good college coach.

Sounds like Jerry likes Garrett more than he likes Moore. Does not sound like Jerry will match. Maybe Jerry knows something we do not know. Maybe McCarthy wants a different OC.

cern

Reaction score
Sounds like Jerry likes Garrett more than he likes Moore. Does not sound like Jerry will match. Maybe Jerry knows something we do not know. Maybe McCarthy wants a different OC.
no telling. nothing will happen until after our season is finished. maybe next week. possibly the playoffs. but linehan was released just days after garrett saying he would stay. and jones was instrumental in promoting kellen to the job with a veiled threat that if he felt he was being hampered in establishing the offense to come see jerry.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So he wants KM to leave?

I think he likes Moore and sees a head coaching gig as a great opportunity. It's not like Jerry's firing Mike soon, despite what some here want.

Picture Moore coaching Boise a few years, having success, Mike's obesity catches up with him and Jerry has a head coach opening. Not only does he know and like Moore, KM will have head coaching experience by then.

khiladi

Reaction score
Head coaching job of an alma Mater, which Jerry can basically do nothing about, because it’s not a lateral move in the NFL... Why does this have to be anything other than common sense for Jerry and his liking Moore and understanding the situation?

I think most people would prefer to coach college anyways, because of the lifestyle.

khiladi

Reaction score
I wouldn’t necessarily miss him anyways. If he leaves, your basically looking at a justification to completely go away from the current offense. If McCarthy takes over, this would mean a West Coast most likely, which is what Andy player in anyways. Dak having to learn a new offense would be disastrous for himself, based on his track record.