Jerry on Lance: I can see why the 49ers gave three 1s to draft him

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
if you draft a rookie. maybe. but you are paying a 4th for a QB that has lots of deficiencies and is not a legit NFL QB. essentially you paid a 4th for a back up QB. and the only reason we paid that 4th was because of his draft status being a top 3 pick. otherwise nobody would pay that. rumors were that Bills were interested but for a 6th!

what will happen is he will have opportunity to sign with any of the 32 teams. if somebody is stupid enough to give him a better offer, why stay in Dallas? and if we think he is a good QB, worth the 4th rounder, why not pick up his 5th year option?
:hammer: :hammer:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He is a legit developmental project. Dude is inaccurate. As much as anyone would LIKE him to replace Dak, he is Quincy Carter right now. Needs more time.
What would be an illegitimate “development project”?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Trey Lance has obviously been doing private favors for Jerry for him to say suck ridiculous things about Trey. The 49ers regret the draft capital they gave up to get Trey. They jumped at the chance to unload him on the Cowboys for a 4th rd pick.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan pregame show on QB Trey Lance: "He's a great athlete. If we were really trying to win a game during the season, there’d be a different game plan. And you'd use his legs a lot. … You're gonna see Trey tonight working out of the pocket, working on his footwork. … I can see why San Francisco gave three ones to draft him."

Jerry is horse tradin...

plymkr

Reaction score

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on @1053thefan pregame show on QB Trey Lance: "He's a great athlete. If we were really trying to win a game during the season, there’d be a different game plan. And you'd use his legs a lot. … You're gonna see Trey tonight working out of the pocket, working on his footwork. … I can see why San Francisco gave three ones to draft him."

You guys do know what this means right. 60 million APY for Lance. And 60 million APY for Dak. We’re looking at 120 APY for the next 4 years at the QB position.

stiletto

Reaction score
What would be an illegitimate “development project”?
If the same Lance that played against the Rams showed up against the Raiders. He looked horrendous against the Rams, no doubt. Just needed to see he can be better game to game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if you draft a rookie. maybe. but you are paying a 4th for a QB that has lots of deficiencies and is not a legit NFL QB. essentially you paid a 4th for a back up QB. and the only reason we paid that 4th was because of his draft status being a top 3 pick.
Not a legit NFL QB yet. We all know he needs playing time. He's getting that. We all know he has lots of room to grow. He is.

We paid a 4th because we had a 2nd round grade on him. Not because of his draft status.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Broaddus likes Lance.

He starts to get into it right before the clip stops, but I think this is exactly why Lance is being groomed to be the QB in 2025 and why he most likely wont be the backup in 2024. I think both of these statements can be true.

I'm getting the feeling that the issue isn't that Lance can't play QB, the issue becomes that the offense is considerably different with him in the game. You really want your backup QB to be able to run at least an abbreviated version of the same offense as your starter so that there isnt a huge change for the other 10 guys on the field. Next year if they make the swap they are likely to grab a bunch of skill players who align with building the offense around Trey Lance.

My early guess here on the Cowboys plan for 2024 is that they keep all three QBs on the roster.

Dak is the starter
Rush is the primary backup that is active on game day and fills in if Dak were to miss a week
Lance is the inactive but emergency QB, also the guy who takes over if Dak were to miss an extended period of time, or the Cowboys surprisingly implode by week 8.

I just dont think the Cowboys will want to switch over to a heavy RPO, designed QB run type of offense that they havent been practicing if Dak were to miss a half of football.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not a legit NFL QB yet. We all know he needs playing time. He's getting that. We all know he has lots of room to grow. He is.

We paid a 4th because we had a 2nd round grade on him. Not because of his draft status.
you have a 2nd round grade on him, prior to him having been in the NFL, its a guessing game. but then he had time in NFL, there was actual film, albeit not a lot, but still NFL FILM. yet you still paid a 4th. that's stupidity.

and every QB who is not good needs playing time. will they be able to translate that into NFL QB level play is another thing. there are and have been tons of QBs, with arm strength, those can fly and run and blah blah blah, but couldn't play in the NFL because they couldn't read a defense presnap, post snap, go through their reads and be accurate.