Twitter: Jerry on the defense this season: "I'd like to start over with our approach"

Majic

Reaction score
I think there is about a 10% chance of Nolan staying next year and about 50% McCarthy. If McCarthy stays then what happens with the DEF? Does he still want to draft the best player available to fit a hybrid scheme that is less predictable than past Cowboys DEFs, what about all the scouting that will have taken place to find this type of player? For whatever reason whether it be coaching or players regressing it has not worked, but does that change the outlook going forward? From what they said at McCarthy's initial press conference it would be a case of drafting the best player on the board (TJ Watt) or has that now gone out of the window. Has McCarthy the power to choose his DEF coordinator if they make a switch?

I don't think McCarthy is safe from Jerry's interview

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It sounds like Jerry is putting all the blame on Nolan and his stupid hybrid schemes.

We didnt have the personnel to run all this hybrid crap, so whoever gave the green light for that has to fall on the sword now. Ergo, I fully expect Nolan and most of the defensive assistants coaches to get chit canned as soon as the final whistle sounds in week 17.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jerry hasn't sounded this unhappy in a very long time. I wonder how much tension there is between Jerry and Stephen. McCarthy was clearly Stephen's hire and McCarthy is the one who made the Nolan hire.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Is he talking scheme, players or Nolan? I'm not sure which one......

It's all BS.
Jerry is trying to buy time.
Will he fire Big Mac? NO!
Will he fire Moore, Nolan? NO!
Will he relent on the mediocre Dak? NO!
Will he let go on coaching/draft/personnel? NO!

B.S. Baloney! Coventry ashes!

Jerry lies and the faithful accept his lies gratefully.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Is he talking scheme, players or Nolan? I'm not sure which one......

more likely the FA and player sthey brought back to run Nolans scheme.none of it meshed doubt hes just talking coaching but possibly the choices they made with players..

if they knew 5 games earlier Haha, Mccoy, Poe, worley, griffen, and others would not be able to run that scheme they start game 1 with different scheme or different players..as bad as this has been the backups they kept after the bye and adjusments made we saw progress in the defense..now get better players and start day 1 off differently 2021

Hindsight great for all of us...

Praxit

Reaction score
..yep, a do over what Im getting. Nolan is gone, bring in the next hillbilly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
more likely the FA and player sthey brought back to run Nolans scheme.none of it meshed doubt hes just talking coaching but possibly the choices they made with players..

if they knew 5 games earlier Haha, Mccoy, Poe, worley, griffen, and others would not be able to run that scheme they start game 1 with different scheme or different players..as bad as this has been the backups they kept after the bye and adjusments made we saw progress in the defense..now get better players and start day 1 off differently 2021

Hindsight great for all of us...

So, are you saying he's implying they will likely go after players who fit the 3-4 scheme

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Vet FA started the downward roll. They whiffed on Poe, McCoy, Griffen, Worley and Clinton-Dix. The boat was leaking before the season started. Add a more or less normal number of injuries (on the defensive side), and they were full of personnel holes. The DTs were inexperienced or mediocre to bad, LVE missed games and came back a lesser player (hopefully for now), revolving door at CB, X. Woods has been awful...

And yeah, they also need to replace the DC.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So, are you saying he's implying they will likely go after players who fit the 3-4 scheme
no i think once they see whats available in FA and Draft once thats completed they will fit the scheme day 1 to the players vs what they did this year..BPA then find scheme that works..

nolan does NOT only run a 3-4 he utilizes them all runs hybrids and what not..they will inform him if he keeps his job he will look at the players strengths in the preseason and use a scheme that works..

I dont think hes been running a 3-4 scheme the philly game..its been a mosh posh of more slimmed down hybrid schemes..

we had some nice defense for 3-5 games there but lost more players and havent been the same since that fake punt in WFT..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think there is about a 10% chance of Nolan staying next year and about 50% McCarthy. If McCarthy stays then what happens with the DEF? Does he still want to draft the best player available to fit a hybrid scheme that is less predictable than past Cowboys DEFs, what about all the scouting that will have taken place to find this type of player? For whatever reason whether it be coaching or players regressing it has not worked, but does that change the outlook going forward? From what they said at McCarthy's initial press conference it would be a case of drafting the best player on the board (TJ Watt) or has that now gone out of the window. Has McCarthy the power to choose his DEF coordinator if they make a switch?

I don't think McCarthy is safe from Jerry's interview

100% confident MM will be back for 2021 season......no way in hell Jerry potentially pays off the entire coaching salaries with 3-5 years left on their contracts. Just ain't happening.......lol

Majic

Reaction score
100% confident MM will be back for 2021 season......no way in hell Jerry potentially pays off the entire coaching salaries with 3-5 years left on their contracts. Just ain't happening.......lol
I've thought exactly that all season, today was the first time I have reconsidered. If they go 0-4 or even 1-3 in these last four games I just don't know.. They must have their doubts from what they have seen, particularly the actual game management

Sydla

Reaction score
I want to hope that he's saying he has issues with Nolan but this is Jerry. Who the hell knows what he is saying.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Jerry hasn't sounded this unhappy in a very long time. I wonder how much tension there is between Jerry and Stephen. McCarthy was clearly Stephen's hire and McCarthy is the one who made the Nolan hire.

good I hope hes miserable. I hope he's miserable for the rest of his life.