Twitter: Jerry on the draft: "we didn't cut our throat when we didn't get a corner"

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was. But after seeing Asante Samuel Jr Sunday I’m not sure he’s not better than Surtain and Horn at least out of the gates. That kid looks good.

He had the "undersize" tag on him. Its worth noting that Surtain has looked pretty good in his season thus far based on what I've read. Haven't heard much about Horn though.

Our defense just needed a player on it. I couldn't get behind these Pitts and Slater projections....I saw Horn, Surtain and even Parsons as guys who could help us...

I honestly thought Parsons would go off before Horn would. I was shocked he was the first defender taken off the board.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah I believe you that you did. And props to you. I'm on record to saying I completely missed it. Didn't think they'd take linebacker that early and not sure if they would've. I'm happy they did because I probably would've taken the corners and worried about linebacker later. But we clearly have something different here. We might be looking at a Von Miller type. Something you normally get with a top 5 pick.

I don't know what Catch's deal is. He wants to look right. And I get not crowning Parsons early.....but at some point, you have to hop on the bandwagon even if it is cautiously. Especially after last game. We might be looking at the next best defensive player and that's EXCITING for a team that hasn't had one since....maybe Demarcus Ware?

Lol what are you taking about? Had I known he could rush the edge like this of course I would’ve had him higher.

I thought he was gonna do what he did in college and if Dallas doesn’t have him chasing QBs and has him covering them I could still be disappointed with the pick.

The guy is a pure pass rusher. They need to stop this nonsense with him playing MLB and get him chasing QBs.

Id rather he rush Tom Brady and try to stop him that way instead of covering Gronk 15 yards downfield.

starfan1

Reaction score
I admit at the beginning of the season, I was in on CB in 1st round but realized just what you've said here.
Because the board is an evil necessity like a HC is to Booger. The board gives McClay and the scouts something to do.

Guess he forgot getting in that reporter's face about Parsons being a fall back pick and inviting him to come in and look at the board?

The one action that defies Parsons was the guy all along was the trade down to 12 and risking losing him. They were reliant on the NYG not being pissed about the PHL trade that netted them Smith that they wouldn't trade with another team other than CHI and they would go for Fields?

There are always different boards with the Cowboys including the one in Booger's head where Manziel took the #1 position just because of the marketing.

They lucked into Prescott and it looks like they did the same with Parsons. Think the Cowboys run D was going to improve with a CB in the 1st?

I am so glad we got Parsons and he was my guy all alomg but the cowboys 2 biggest needs in terms of what was available at that time was OL and LB so a trade back was not much of risk especially knowing that Chicago was taking QB
We were going to end up with parsons or Slater IMO

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If the general sentiments on this thread are true then every team is lucky[ when a good player falls to them] unless their the first overall pick.
I mean essentially they are. Cowboys have been. We've been lucky these past two years that teams haven't went in certain directions and its benefited us. Lamb and Parsons.......

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I mean essentially they are. Cowboys have been. We've been lucky these past two years that teams haven't went in certain directions and its benefited us. Lamb and Parsons.......

Though there's no way to tell how the team would have been if they'd gotten who they were really after...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lol what are you taking about? Had I known he could rush the edge like this of course I would’ve had him higher.

I thought he was gonna do what he did in college and if Dallas doesn’t have him chasing QBs and has him covering them I could still be disappointed with the pick.

The guy is a pure pass rusher. They need to stop this nonsense with him playing MLB and get him chasing QBs.

Id rather he rush Tom Brady and try to stop him that way instead of covering Gronk 15 yards downfield.

Ehh....he showed flashes of his ability to rush the passer in college. This isn't something he just learned...

Its going to take time for him develop his coverage skills in the NFL like it would any position on defense. He shouldn't be regulated to just rushing the passer. This is our Von Miller. This is what we've always wanted. He's too good to just be regulated to rushing the passer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Though there's no way to tell how the team would have been if they'd gotten who they were really after...

I don't know where they go last year......they say it wasn't Chaisson but I feel they would've reached for him. That draft was tough because Lamb was the one guy there that was a game changer. You don't get him.....that might be the Taco draft all over again. If Parsons were gone....maybe Slater is the pick? I honestly don't even know there.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Ehh....he showed flashes of his ability to rush the passer in college. This isn't something he just learned...

Its going to take time for him develop his coverage skills in the NFL like it would any position on defense. He shouldn't be regulated to just rushing the passer. This is our Von Miller. This is what we've always wanted. He's too good to just be regulated to rushing the passer.
Yup. But. if he becomes Von Miller and becomes great at coverage too. Catch looks like he doesnt know what hes talking about. So we cant have that. lol. Instead of just saying " damn this kid is a stud you guys were right." There is always something else.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's also question why if Parsons was top of their board he would not have been taken if the CB's had been there.

Smells like the logic behind Taco.

Granted, I think Surtain is going to end up being a really good CB.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
My quality of life increased dramatically when I stopped listening to anything JJ had to say.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Exactly........Jerry's statement doesn't make a lot of sense. IF Parson was the BEST defensive player on your board, why were you taking a CB?
I’d imagine they had the CBs and Parsons rated very closely and felt CB was a bigger need. It’s that simple. I’m glad it went the way it did, but the logic isn’t hard to follow.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yup. But. if he becomes Von Miller and becomes great at coverage too. Catch looks like he doesnt know what hes talking about. So we cant have that. lol. Instead of just saying " damn this kid is a stud you guys were right." There is always something else.
I don't know why he's trying to judge him based on what he is NOW or even what he was week 1. He did not have a bad week 1. The whole Gronk TD has been getting overblown. It happens. First game as a rookie. His problems in coverage is overblown and premature.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’d imagine they had the CBs and Parsons rated very closely and felt CB was a bigger need. It’s that simple. I’m glad it went the way it did, but the logic isn’t hard to follow.
Exactly. Its not like TJ Watt vs Charlton......all 3 of those guys would help this team RIGHT NOW. I can think of worse things than having Diggs/Surtain or Diggs/Horn for 4 years on rookie deals......

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So, if Surtain isn't drafted by Denver, Parson's not a Cowboy. Am I understanding this right?

You know what is frightening. I think the Cowboys lucked into his pass rushing ability. If Tank didn’t hurt his foot, Parsons would be a middle linebacker only. Last year’s draft we wanted Henderson at cornerback. He was over-drafted and the Cowboys ended up with CeeDee and Diggs. Just shows you that it is a good thing you don’t always get what you want.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is a genius! I blame Garrett and Rod for talking him put of taking TJ Watt.

Proof

Reaction score
Let's also question why if Parsons was top of their board he would not have been taken if the CB's had been there.

because cb was a far far more pressing need and the two available were also extremely talented and highly rated? i'm sure they had some qb's rated higher as well.