Jerry overplayed his hand; the end of an era is here

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the TV ratings a large chuck of those viewers are Cowboy haters.
And?

Haters still got eyeballs. As far as the franchise as a business, Jerry deserves a lot of credit for cultivating the haters.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But why would the younger fans keep coming if the older fans turn away? Why would they keep coming when they suffer humiliations each year when the Cowboys can't live up to the hype- again?
Same reason as always. Eyeballs means national televised games. Televised games means more exposure to new fans.
Big country. Most of it doesn't have a local team. And many people have moved around a lot. They'll be fans of the teams they get exposure to from nationally televised games.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He doesn’t care. Viewers are viewers
It’s about endorsement money and ads. Not to mention the other things he hosts through out the offseason at his stadium. That all brings him tons of money. And always has plenty of ticket sales. But a trophy and another ring brings him more plus it feeds his ego. But doing it his own way is more important..

JBS

Reaction score
It’s about endorsement money and ads. Not to mention the other things he hosts through out the offseason at his stadium. That all brings him tons of money. And always has plenty of ticket sales. But a trophy and another ring brings him more plus it feeds his ego. But doing it his own way is more important..
Yes but it comes with risk. He’s rather be relevant and not win it all than win it all at the expense of having down years. That’s the difference

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I believe that Jerry is witnessing the end of an era in which he could use the history of the Cowboys to sell hype to them like candy to a baby. No longer will fans listen to his drivel and believe when he stands in front of a mic, saying "Just wait til next season!". Fans are sick of his empty promises, and long term fans are losing their loyalty to a franchise which has showed no loyalty to them for the past 16 seasons.
There was a time when Jerry could convince fans to hold on one more year, but when the long term fans are gone, the new generation of fans will turn the channel, as well. New fans don't have the experience of knowing what this organization was like when it was the greatest organization in sports. All they have experience are the years of futility under Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott. Their staying power is not the same as long term fans who saw Troy, Emmitt, and Michael with the "Great Wall of Dallas" running roughshod over every team they faced. That same group watched Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Harvey Martin, Randy White, and others, and before that some got to watch Don Meredith and Lee Roy Jordan and Bullet Bob Hayes.
This new team is full of glitz and glamour and filled with players who love their chance to step up to the microphone and do a victory dance for a championship they never earned. They have names like "We Dem Boyz" and "Hot Boys", and pretend to be great when the only teams they run roughshod over are teams more pathetic than Dallas. When a team punches back at them, they crumble like dried bread. They are not the kind of men that inspire others to want to be like them, but are the kind that want to take credit for something they don't understand.
These players talk about greatness as if is something they can simply claim. They don't know how to achieve it, and apparently no one in the organization knows how to teach them.
When the long term fans are done, what have the Cowboys accomplished to create loyalty to them?
this team is no different than any other. exactly like some of the team during Romo era. I guarantee you, seats will be full. merchendise will be sold. Cowboys will be highly watched, the value of the franchise will go up. Jerry doesn't cater the team to the ardent fans. he caters to the casual and fringe fans to whom winning is not all. so no, its not end of an era. its continuing as is. we will sign a big name FA. perhaps make a trade. Jerry will make noise. he is the ultimate salesman. he will generate hope among some. he will keep cowboys in the news. nothing will change. same conversations and comments will be said next year.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I believe that Jerry is witnessing the end of an era in which he could use the history of the Cowboys to sell hype to them like candy to a baby. No longer will fans listen to his drivel and believe when he stands in front of a mic, saying "Just wait til next season!". Fans are sick of his empty promises, and long term fans are losing their loyalty to a franchise which has showed no loyalty to them for the past 16 seasons.
There was a time when Jerry could convince fans to hold on one more year, but when the long term fans are gone, the new generation of fans will turn the channel, as well. New fans don't have the experience of knowing what this organization was like when it was the greatest organization in sports. All they have experience are the years of futility under Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott. Their staying power is not the same as long term fans who saw Troy, Emmitt, and Michael with the "Great Wall of Dallas" running roughshod over every team they faced. That same group watched Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Harvey Martin, Randy White, and others, and before that some got to watch Don Meredith and Lee Roy Jordan and Bullet Bob Hayes.
This new team is full of glitz and glamour and filled with players who love their chance to step up to the microphone and do a victory dance for a championship they never earned. They have names like "We Dem Boyz" and "Hot Boys", and pretend to be great when the only teams they run roughshod over are teams more pathetic than Dallas. When a team punches back at them, they crumble like dried bread. They are not the kind of men that inspire others to want to be like them, but are the kind that want to take credit for something they don't understand.
These players talk about greatness as if is something they can simply claim. They don't know how to achieve it, and apparently no one in the organization knows how to teach them.
When the long term fans are done, what have the Cowboys accomplished to create loyalty to them?
Bases on how I feel. I think you're right.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the TV ratings a large chuck of those viewers are Cowboy haters.
By far there are more of them than Cowboys fans, especially among the younger generations. The Cowboys ratings are so high because LOLCOWs always get high ratings and go viral. Dare to be stupid, as the Weird Al song goes...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This conclusion was not extended to a logical one, which is the 'large chunk', a.k.a. the franchise's haters, will never go away.

Question. How will ratings be significantly impacted negatively if the large chunk of the audience remains a component?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe the networks should give Jerry less national televised games. Then he may realize the ship has a bigger hole than he thought.
However the NFL and networks are more greedy so that won’t happen.
Ratings and appearances did take a notable dip during the Campo years. I still remember Al Michaels having a joke field day during a Dallas/Washington Monday Night Football matchups of 0-4 teams. I believe the first half ratings of that game were still slightly above average for MNF before viewers started to tune out after the half.

I do not know. Perhaps a similar sustained stretch of .500 or below seasons would reduce the franchise's nationally televised games to that past network standard. It did not move Jones' needle back then. Maaaaaybe it would in his mid-80's..? The guy is still who he is. Just do not see it happening.

Perhaps if Jones is not the guy at that point? If it is Stephen or another DNA kid? What they might do is still an unknown but I would think the odds would be more favorable as motivation for them than their father.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
this team is no different than any other. exactly like some of the team during Romo era. I guarantee you, seats will be full. merchendise will be sold. Cowboys will be highly watched, the value of the franchise will go up. Jerry doesn't cater the team to the ardent fans. he caters to the casual and fringe fans to whom winning is not all. so no, its not end of an era. its continuing as is. we will sign a big name FA. perhaps make a trade. Jerry will make noise. he is the ultimate salesman. he will generate hope among some. he will keep cowboys in the news. nothing will change. same conversations and comments will be said next year.
Yes, that's what's so discouraging.
Instead of doing what it takes to put together a championship team, the Cowboys have turned into a bloated cash cow.
It's really sad for old timer fans like myself to witness.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Ratings and appearances did take a notable dip during the Campo years. I still remember Al Michaels having a joke field day during a Dallas/Washington Monday Night Football matchups of 0-4 teams. I believe the first half ratings of that game were still slightly above average for MNF before viewers started to tune out after the half.

I do not know. Perhaps a similar sustained stretch of .500 or below seasons would reduce the franchise's nationally televised games to that past network standard. It did not move Jones' needle back then. Maaaaaybe it would in his mid-80's..? The guy is still who he is. Just do not see it happening.

Perhaps if Jones is not the guy at that point? If it is Stephen or another DNA kid? What they might do is still an unknown but I would think the odds would be more favorable as motivation for them than their father.
Dak is good enough to keep the Cowboys relevant.
When dak retires, the wheels are going to totally fall off the bus and we will return to the Campo years.
Jerry might have moved on by then.
It's going to take sustained losing to force change and I am embracing it.

Asklesko

Reaction score
The era has been over for 28 years. We're just living in the sad afterglow (and every year it grows dimmer).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When dak retires, the wheels are going to totally fall off the bus and we will return to the Campo years.
You can insert another QB's name here and say the same thing. :popcorn:

I was / am not 100% in on either QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hopefully Jerry doesn't give up two 1st round picks in a pathetic attempt to stay relevant, which was a big cause of the Campo years. Can't get better w/o resources.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yes but it comes with risk. He’s rather be relevant and not win it all than win it all at the expense of having down years. That’s the difference
I think its worse than this..he does care but he is to dug in to the "My way" crap he started in 1996...could he hire a "Football guy" to come in a nd fix it..sure, but when we won what would people say about him....its his ego that will keep us on this marry go round until the reaper steps in.

CWR

Reaction score
But....I thought we are going ALL-IN ???
Yeah I love his word vomit. All in on our own guys and all in on the right FAs, for the right contract. He doesn't even know the meaning of all in.

jgboys1

Reaction score
People don’t understand

Dallas is like the Yankees, Notre Dame etc. People will pay to see them lose.

So our fan base can bounce. but opposing teams will still pay to come see Dallas lose. Therefore Jerry will continue selling out and making max profit
Well if you came to watch a football team lose, you are watching the right team!