Jerry overplayed his hand; the end of an era is here

nobody

Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the TV ratings a large chuck of those viewers are Cowboy haters.
But that doesn't matter to Jerry. It still gives the Cowboys the ratings. Just as haters buying tickets to Cowboys games? Doesn't matter to Jerry. It fills his stadium. Haters keep everyone talking about his Cowboys win or lose, so winning isn't so important as he claims.
Suddenly get everyone to ignore the Cowboys is when Jerry will freak out and make changes.

Cmac

Reaction score
Jerry at the Senior Bowl spewing bad energy. Despite what many think of Dak, Jerry is about the find out.......if he continues to flap his gums with some of the words coming out his mouth about his QB and/or extension........some of you may never see a SB celebration in Dallas for even longer, if you didn't have the privilege during one of the five already in the trophy room.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I believe that Jerry is witnessing the end of an era in which he could use the history of the Cowboys to sell hype to them like candy to a baby. No longer will fans listen to his drivel and believe when he stands in front of a mic, saying "Just wait til next season!". Fans are sick of his empty promises, and long term fans are losing their loyalty to a franchise which has showed no loyalty to them for the past 16 seasons.
There was a time when Jerry could convince fans to hold on one more year, but when the long term fans are gone, the new generation of fans will turn the channel, as well. New fans don't have the experience of knowing what this organization was like when it was the greatest organization in sports. All they have experience are the years of futility under Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott. Their staying power is not the same as long term fans who saw Troy, Emmitt, and Michael with the "Great Wall of Dallas" running roughshod over every team they faced. That same group watched Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Harvey Martin, Randy White, and others, and before that some got to watch Don Meredith and Lee Roy Jordan and Bullet Bob Hayes.
This new team is full of glitz and glamour and filled with players who love their chance to step up to the microphone and do a victory dance for a championship they never earned. They have names like "We Dem Boyz" and "Hot Boys", and pretend to be great when the only teams they run roughshod over are teams more pathetic than Dallas. When a team punches back at them, they crumble like dried bread. They are not the kind of men that inspire others to want to be like them, but are the kind that want to take credit for something they don't understand.
These players talk about greatness as if is something they can simply claim. They don't know how to achieve it, and apparently no one in the organization knows how to teach them.
When the long term fans are done, what have the Cowboys accomplished to create loyalty to them?
I said something similar, and hopefully the fans that go to the homes are tired of it. Otherwise, jerry will think all is well if stadium is full
for all home games, and jersey sales are still high.

GMO415

Reaction score
I believe that Jerry is witnessing the end of an era in which he could use the history of the Cowboys to sell hype to them like candy to a baby. No longer will fans listen to his drivel and believe when he stands in front of a mic, saying "Just wait til next season!". Fans are sick of his empty promises, and long term fans are losing their loyalty to a franchise which has showed no loyalty to them for the past 16 seasons.
There was a time when Jerry could convince fans to hold on one more year, but when the long term fans are gone, the new generation of fans will turn the channel, as well. New fans don't have the experience of knowing what this organization was like when it was the greatest organization in sports. All they have experience are the years of futility under Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott. Their staying power is not the same as long term fans who saw Troy, Emmitt, and Michael with the "Great Wall of Dallas" running roughshod over every team they faced. That same group watched Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Harvey Martin, Randy White, and others, and before that some got to watch Don Meredith and Lee Roy Jordan and Bullet Bob Hayes.
This new team is full of glitz and glamour and filled with players who love their chance to step up to the microphone and do a victory dance for a championship they never earned. They have names like "We Dem Boyz" and "Hot Boys", and pretend to be great when the only teams they run roughshod over are teams more pathetic than Dallas. When a team punches back at them, they crumble like dried bread. They are not the kind of men that inspire others to want to be like them, but are the kind that want to take credit for something they don't understand.
These players talk about greatness as if is something they can simply claim. They don't know how to achieve it, and apparently no one in the organization knows how to teach them.
When the long term fans are done, what have the Cowboys accomplished to create loyalty to them?
Let's face it, his core fans are getting old and they are not spending cash like the young fans would on Cowboys merch. He better turn this thing around because young fans want winners, and Cowboys are the butt of every joke made available.

coult44

Reaction score
Lee , Bro, I swear I’ll go back and finish. I stopped after a couple lines. Why? Because I have to disagree right away. FANS DONT CARE. Again, I make a promise. I promise that the fans will be back and buying into everything they say before raining camp begins. He will make people have hope by making a couple moves, and our fans are so goofy that they will 1000% be back believing.
Now I’ll go back and finish your OP

mmohican29

Reaction score
I used to absolutely love this team, the players, any news that came out I jumped on it. And it's just turned to a point to where I don't like many of the players, I don't like the type of players we draft because some of them have character issues and aren't likable people.

We haven't played with any kind of consistency or heart since the Parcells era. Watching this team reminds me of watching someone learning to drive a stick shift. It's just frustrating, unbelievably frustrating, and not enjoyable.
Didn't play with much heart outside of BP's 1st season. *Maybe* could have made noise if Romo collects that snap in '06.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There is no hard evidence to suggest this is true

Ratings still there. Attendance still there. Concession purchases still there. Fans still buying apparel. This is all that matters to Jerry and he’s still winning. More than ever.
We fans can be silly at times.

Jerry is doing just fine. As is the Cowboys' franchise.

I do wish he would clear up the GM role though.
I know HE is not really the GM.
It's McClay and Stephen, with Jerry a distant 3rd.

But I'd rather they hired someone and gave them the title and authority.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The publish team values every year.

Let me know when the Cowboys are not #1...
:muttley:The King of England would like a word with you, Mr.Braveheart.
Were #1 Were #1 Were#1 Were#1 :muttley:

chuck520

Reaction score
Every year I heard this from our fans, if you dont want to be a fan anymore then jump ship. The only thing worse than not winning the Super Bowl in 28 years is hearing our fans complain ad nauseum.

chuck520

Reaction score
We fans can be silly at times.

Jerry is doing just fine. As is the Cowboys' franchise.

I do wish he would clear up the GM role though.
I know HE is not really the GM.
It's McClay and Stephen, with Jerry a distant 3rd.

But I'd rather they hired someone and gave them the title and authority.
Why? if they havent done it in 30+ years why do it now? If they hired a GM and he messed up he would be fired so whats the point of going through that exercise?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes but it comes with risk. He’s rather be relevant and not win it all than win it all at the expense of having down years. That’s the difference
It is all about the eyeballs. That's the key metric in the entertainment business.

I think Jerry's trick is that he successfully cultivates schadenfreude fans. People who don't like franchise and its fans, and watch because they enjoy watching Cowboys and their fans crash and burn come the playoffs every year.

Stephen A. Smith's whole schtick is Cowboy schadenfreude. No other team has managed to make schadenfreude fans a part of league coverage.

The haters even solidify the fan base. It's fun to be a fan, but part of the fun is having *other* fans cheer *against* you. Without rivalry, it's not as much fun. Cowboy fans are everywhere. And Cowboy schadenfreude fans are everywhere. I wonder if on any given game there are more hater eyeballs than fans watching a Cowboy game. Seems likely.

So many here like to question Jerry. Talk like he's a moron. The guy who built the most valuable sports franchise in the world. A moron. Right. But does not people reveling over Jerry's "stupidity" line Jerry's pockets?

The business success is undeniable. There's the concept of "Qui bono?" Who benefits? We know who. Jerry. Before beclowning ourselves by calling the most successful sports entertainment businessman in the world a moron for creating some outcome, we could ask "How does this benefit Jerry?" There's usually an answer.

Of course, that would limit our enjoyment of the schadenfreude Jerry serves up on a silver platter. So maybe we should carry on just lapping it up.