Jerry says he hasn't given up on Earl Thomas deal

Carson

Reaction score
and sounds like stephen and MC weren't interested...but jerry didn't like their answer so he is going rogue...again....and that has worked oh so well over the past 25 years, and the 10 NFCCG appearances and the 4 superbowls....
It’s very worrisome, that the season is three weeks away and we still don’t know who is going to play safety. We are trying to move corners to play safety and we have yet an unproven guy who really isn’t that good in Thompson. We have a chance to sign a proven guy like Thomas and shore up that position that has been pedestrian since Woodson and Williams days

superonyx

Reaction score
and sounds like stephen and MC weren't interested...but jerry didn't like their answer so he is going rogue...again....and that has worked oh so well over the past 25 years, and the 10 NFCCG appearances and the 4 superbowls....
Listen to you having to speculate with your own bias just to vilify Jerry.
You don't know any more than I do about who wants ET and who doesnt.
Its just speculation on your part to justify slinging mudd at ole Jerry.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score

here’s what’s happening, Jerry looked at that headline and had to jump on the radio and let everyone know who will make the final call.

it’s a tale as old as time with this dope. We shall see if Big Mike can be the only HC to overcome Jerry, outside of Jimmy. And yes, I do not count Barry Switzer.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He didnt have chemistry issues is Seattle. He had contract issues.

A future HOF Earl Thomas is absolutely a huge upgrade over anyone on this roster.
We are working our depth chart CB's at safety and trying out people who are not even safeties 3 weeks before the season starts.
How is ET not the answer?

Whats even the question then?
which led to a lot of headaches and when a player after the game they just won, walking into his own locker room screams come get me...that is going to sit oh so well with the team management and the rest of the players. if he had contractual issues, there are different ways to handle it....and lets not forget him flipping the crowd when he got injured....

seattle just kept it in house and just released him..

he maybe a HOFer, because of his talent but at this point in his career, it seems like he thinks his shiet dont' stink and he is above the team and is become a headache....he is older, has lost some of what he has had and maybe above average saftey (he is not dominant) and is the headache worth it?

and the reason I don't want him unless the headcoach signs off, one is the locker room and team chemistry and secondly, that he is not long term answer. he is declining. and this year we are not going to the superbowl. oh, we can fantasize, but reality says otherwise.....no headcoach, from outside the organizatin, brining in a new system has ever won a superbowl or gone to a superbowl. just too much to learn and overcome. so we have to think long term and focus on drafting a saftey next year......

if rumors about ET and being locker room issue are true, then I say no thanks

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If Jerry signs ET, he will be repeating the undermining of his head coach. His brand new coach.

This is the kind of stuff Jerry has done for 25 years- fantasy football roster moves against the wishes of the very football experts he’s hired that have forgotten more about football than Jerry will ever know. Like the 2006 signing of TO against Parcells wishes. Many would argue that signing was a good one.

But what was the bottom line result when TO was here? Zero playoff wins and resulting in the need to get his team bad influence out of the locker room by 2008.

If JJ signs ET against the advice of his HC, it’s another stupid move among many. He will have proven once again, he’s learned nothing.

This is exactly right. It's why we lost Parcells before he could take the team he built and win a championship. This is why we fired Phillips, who was the better Coach, and got stuck with Garrett for 10 years. It's why it won't work with McCarthy if it continues.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Listen to you having to speculate with your own bias just to vilify Jerry.
You don't know any more than I do about who wants ET and who doesnt.
Its just speculation on your part to justify slinging mudd at ole Jerry.
I don't have to vilify jerry. he does a good job of it himself. there is plenty of proof over the past 25 years on Jerry's screw ups....

and like I said, if coaches and stephen said no, then it should be a no, jerry shouldn't push the issue because Jerry wants to. he has proven multiple occasions he is not the best personnel guy around.

and you are also speculating....aren't you?

Carson

Reaction score

here’s what’s happening, Jerry looked at that headline and had to jump on the radio and let everyone know who will make the final call.

it’s a tale as old as time with this dope. We shall see if Big Mike can be the only HC to overcome Jerry, outside of Jimmy. And yes, I do not count Barry Switzer.

it’s quite amazing to me, McCarthy doesn’t seem to value the free safety position. He won a Super Bowl with Nick Collins at safety who was elite and one of the best for about three years

jrumann59

Reaction score
I think Baltimore thought they needed him last year. Now they have been looking for outs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Except that McCarthy made a point to say he doesn’t handle personnel decisions.

But Jerry also made the point that McCarthy will have all the on field decision, including who gets brought in or sent out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s very worrisome, that the season is three weeks away and we still don’t know who is going to play safety. We are trying to move corners to play safety and we have yet an unproven guy who really isn’t that good in Thompson. We have a chance to sign a proven guy like Thomas and shore up that position that has been pedestrian since Woodson and Williams days
oh, I am worried too...but not willing to make a move for a short term answer, given I expect us to do well this year but not superbowl material yet....ET is losing the battle of father time. his skills have diminished. he maybe above average saftey, but he is not what he once was and that's what everyone is fantasizing about...dreaming they are going to get ET of 5 years ago. and he is nto going to get better, he will only diminish more..... given those, then we need long term answer and going ET route is not the right move. roll with what we have. figure out the needs and go to next year's draft and find the saftey of the future.

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't have to vilify jerry. he does a good job of it himself. there is plenty of proof over the past 25 years on Jerry's screw ups....

and like I said, if coaches and stephen said no, then it should be a no, jerry shouldn't push the issue because Jerry wants to. he has proven multiple occasions he is not the best personnel guy around.

and you are also speculating....aren't you?
You would like to think I am. However I am not speculating that anyone in the organization wants ET. You are speculating which guys want him and which guys don't and now are creating your own little melodrama with all of your speculation.

My only point is we have garbage at Safety with a questionable secondary and ET would be a significant upgrade for this year. Not speculation. Projection.

reddyuta

Reaction score
This is done,they are not signing him,Mccarthy made it quite clear.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I wanna ask who the top safeties are in the draft this year, but y’all know we won’t draft whoever it is anyway

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Jerry was quiet upset when Rapoport said the cowboys were not interested in ET. Jerry says the man standing right here hasn't determined that, meaning himself. lol

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ut-jerry-jones-disputes-that-characterization

Jerry_Nod.gif

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with you. Probably because nothing you said contradicts any of my points.

Seattle was over money. Saying that baltimore voted him off the team really doesnt move me. Like I said it sounds like a clash of personalities between him and a few of the other team leaders.

This is not true either. I don't agree with the statement, "He didn't leave because he couldnt get along. He left because he became a free agent." and my previous post points to this. He asked to be traded. He flipped off Pete Carrol on National Television. He solicited other teams to trade for him publically. None of that supports the idea that he got along with Carrol. He left once he was a free and clear free agent but he wanted out of Seattle long before that.

Doesn't sound to me like it was a Clash between a few players. Sounds like a majority of 55 players voted him off so that's not a few. That's a lot of guys.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Of course Jerry makes every final call.

He is also into his second quarter century of futility.

You go Jerry. You're the boss!!

More of you is a great thing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Both good hires. I just wish he would give them the power most NFL owners do. He seems to start with assumption that he must be convinced to go against his instincts instead of starting with the assumption that the guys he hired know more than he does.

IMO that was the 2010 Jerry. I think the 2020 Jerry is standing in front of TV cameras pretending he is still micromanaging from the Yacht.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ET fit in just fine with Pete Carrol.
He played there for 8 seasons. He didn't leave because he couldnt get along. He left because he became a free agent.
If he was such a problem in Seattle he would be a cowboy today and they would have gladly taken our 2nd round pick. You don't turn down a second round pick for a guy you want off the team.

We don't know what happened in baltimore. It could just be a bad fit and a clash of personalities.
Here are some news reports about the problems with ET in Baltimore regarding it being more than a “bad fit”.
Multiple reports indicate he missed meetings and his dedication was questioned by his teammates. If anyone wants to sign him, fine, I just want it known that he has been released in Balt for more than one problem. Here are a couple of articles on this:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/b...erging-from-earl-thomas-problems-in-baltimore

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020...rsonal-conduct-that-negatively-affected-team/