Twitter: Jerry Seems To Be Hinting At Less ST Risks

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Kamara was blocked into the kicker but that isn't the point.

It was stupid to risk what happened at that point in the game.

Pitt did it vs Vegas for a TD up by 3 at the time. If you only did it in certain situations then wouldn't the opponent know the situations in which you go after a punt?

Teams do a lot of things that come with risk, when you send a blitz you risk exposing a CB 1 on 1 and giving up a big play but do you just not blitz?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I try not to get to up or down during games ... but that running into the kicker penalty definitely got a "not so friendly" reaction from me.
:angry:

Running into the punter would have carried a 5 yard penalty, unfortunately it was called roughing and again looking at replay holding on the Chargers should have been called since that is the reason the punter was hit.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
4th and 20 no way we should be trying to block a punt.

Kickoff?? Just let it go to the endzone. Id love to see the avg starting field position across the league when a team runs it out. It seems to me its rare to reach the 25, and 15% of the time there is a penalty... maybe more.

Reward is too minimal to risk running it out.

Thats the other one..stop bringing the ball out of the endzone....take the 25 and move along.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then why did he hire Fassel? Fassel is notorious for his risky/aggressive style.

That used to work all the time with the Rams. It’s done nothing but fail in Dallas.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Running into the punter would have carried a 5 yard penalty, unfortunately it was called roughing and again looking at replay holding on the Chargers should have been called since that is the reason the punter was hit.
My bad .. and I agree about the "assist" from the Chargers player.
:grin:

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
The numbers are on Bone's side

so analytically that punt at 4th and 20 try to be blocked? But the risk/ reward wise with the time on clock and the position of the game score at that moment , doesn’t it make more sense to get the ball back drive for getting into FG range and get points? The risk is roughing call and automatic 1st down to the other team which could give a point swing of 10 points ( i didn’t understand that call - 15 yards penalty , how did it get 1st down )

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
o analytically that punt at 4th and 20 try to be blocked? But the risk/ reward wise with the time on clock and the position of the game score at that moment , doesn’t it make more sense to get the ball back drive for getting into FG range and get points?

Absolutely.

They were a little behind mid-field & we were leading with 2min (cant remember how many TO we had).

A blocked punt in that scenario at least gives us great field position-while the alternative is likely driving down the entire field in 2 min.

Roughing penalty is not likley.

conner01

Reaction score
But it's what all we fans have been clamoring for...apparently...
It sure was when we hired Fassel
A blocked punt or FG can be a game changer, but so can giving a team another set of downs
To me if you have a guy who is good at going after punts or kicks it’s great in some situations
Just like faking a punt is great in some situation
I don’t think the situation Sunday was the right situation to go after a punt block
But at the same time players need to make a risk assessment on the fly. If it ain’t there, pull up
Just like returning kicks. I hate we let pollard return kicks so often
If it’s a short kick you have to return it
But if it’s in the end zone just take it at 25. The odds of getting more and not getting a penalty are so slim that’s it’s just not worth returning a kick out of the end zone
The only exception would be if you had some really dynamic return guy, which we dont

Beaker42

Reaction score
But it's what all we fans have been clamoring for...apparently...
Yeah - the SOLITARY SHORT BUS-RIDING COWBOYS FAN HE TALKED TO. There was no reason to go for the block at that point in the game ..... NONE!!!!

conner01

Reaction score
so analytically that punt at 4th and 20 try to be blocked? But the risk/ reward wise with the time on clock and the position of the game score at that moment , doesn’t it make more sense to get the ball back drive for getting into FG range and get points? The risk is roughing call and automatic 1st down to the other team which could give a point swing of 10 points ( i didn’t understand that call - 15 yards penalty , how did it get 1st down )
You have to factor all those things in
Analytics are great when you correctly factor in the risk and situation
Just saying 4th and 3 you should always go for it doesn’t work. Field position, how well you are moving the ball against the defense, score, time on clock and more have to be factored in

Beaker42

Reaction score
Well, Jerry is right. Quit doing stupid things on special teams. Defense gets a good stop and the special teams sends them right back out there after a brain fart.
That wasn’t a fart - that was the dump you take in the morning after you ate 12 tacos with hot sauce the night before.

conner01

Reaction score
Pitt did it vs Vegas for a TD up by 3 at the time. If you only did it in certain situations then wouldn't the opponent know the situations in which you go after a punt?

Teams do a lot of things that come with risk, when you send a blitz you risk exposing a CB 1 on 1 and giving up a big play but do you just not blitz?
Every play comes with risks
Every decision comes with risks
The key is minimizing the risk
I wouldn’t have went for block there, but had it worked most would be praising fassel today
I see decisions differently
Much like running down the clock for a 56 yard FG
To me that’s a mistake and many fans supporting that decision are supporting it because it worked, not because it was a great decision
To me a decision is not good or bad because it but worked
A good decision is a good decision whether it works or not
And a bad decision is bad whether it works or not
To me both of those decisions were bad even though one worked out

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Every play comes with risks
Every decision comes with risks
The key is minimizing the risk
I wouldn’t have went for block there, but had it worked most would be praising fassel today
I see decisions differently
Much like running down the clock for a 56 yard FG
To me that’s a mistake and many fans supporting that decision are supporting it because it worked, not because it was a great decision
To me a decision is not good or bad because it but worked
A good decision is a good decision whether it works or not
And a bad decision is bad whether it works or not
To me both of those decisions were bad even though one worked out

I respect your view even if we slightly disagree.

conner01

Reaction score
I respect your view even if we slightly disagree.
That’s what this board is about and why I quoted your post lol
We don’t always agree but the exchanges are always fun and sometimes you even change my thinking on a subject

Aftershock

Reaction score
:facepalm:
What a goof

Lol I will say that odds are one of these will work somewhere. Hopefully it’s in a big spot because if he’s gonna cost us games then he better help win a big one.

You save those high reward high risk plays for when we’re losing and time is running out. Not right before half with 2.5 minutes to go and dak/pollard have been killing it all half…

does Fassel even take into account the game that’s been played thus far? Sounds like his decision making is robotic and random, like a slot machine

:facepalm:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It sure was when we hired Fassel
A blocked punt or FG can be a game changer, but so can giving a team another set of downs
To me if you have a guy who is good at going after punts or kicks it’s great in some situations
Just like faking a punt is great in some situation
I don’t think the situation Sunday was the right situation to go after a punt block
But at the same time players need to make a risk assessment on the fly. If it ain’t there, pull up
Just like returning kicks. I hate we let pollard return kicks so often
If it’s a short kick you have to return it
But if it’s in the end zone just take it at 25. The odds of getting more and not getting a penalty are so slim that’s it’s just not worth returning a kick out of the end zone
The only exception would be if you had some really dynamic return guy, which we dont

I think the guy literally has a "Look at me" issue....2 minutes left in the half, 4th and 20 at midfield ....nothing about that says "Man lets go for the block if it goes bad it minimal damage...."

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The much bigger issue is the owner criticizing a coach to the media.

I mean that's all that should be talked about here. The play itself is just distraction for the simple minded.