Jerry shows up for the paycheck and notoriety

fivetwos

Reaction score
I have no issue with McCarthy and was not my 1st choice but was not opposed to his hiring either. I understand the expectation were high for him to take this talent further and in year 2 did not get it done and this coming year clearly the pressure is on. Optimistic note often times the best work is done when the pressure is on. McCarthy will get that chance to advance this team, beyond that it is anyone's guess of how this will play out
Yep....

I'll be headed back into hopefulville shortly.

Telling myself that less is more and that the players will rally around MM.

It's not impossible, and the only alternative is to not watch, which just isn't gonna happen.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry has plenty of money. He wants to win..........but only on his terms. He does not want a coach whose going to get all the credit for winning. So, he handicaps them by taking away most of the decision making.
I think that's a big part of it....but he also thinks so highly of himself that he believes he is the best man for the job.

But yeah, Payton is the best we are ever going to do as long as Jerry is alive.

The hope for me is that the kids ego isn't quite as large and sees the benefit in winning over his own stupid pride.

Really though....is he going to continue to call himself an NFL GM at 85 year old? 90?

When is one of the kids gonna pull the mic away when he really starts to fly off the rails?

People retire 20 years sooner than this for good reason.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Jerry is the source of the "crappy culture". He micromanages the coaching staff, roster, and insists on making all final decisions. He does not understand and never has that winning takes more than just stacking talent on the field. He runs the team as one of us would a fantasy football team.

Pretty much. The GM of a team needs to be your very best talent evaluator with the ability to differentiate the person from the player and the full game tape vs definable statistics (with the most brutal honesty and top most conviction of winning championships). It doesn’t hurt for them to have some fear for the safety of their position too (every. single. season.).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really think this talent evaluation is completely overrated.

How many of these players are really in the top 10 at their position?

On offense, RG and when he is healthy, LT. It is arguable the QB, any WR or the RB are top 10.

On defense, LB and CB.

Where is all this talent? Does this look like a team or a gathering of individuals to you?

Flamma

Reaction score
The talent on this team is over rated and over hyped. Too many fans follow it like a Fantasy Team with offensive stats. Much like our follow the ball GM.

” He runs our football operations thru the eyes of a fan.”Which is a quote from one of the best fans on this forum, Kskboys.

We didn’t run the ball well. We didn’t stop the run well. We didn’t protect our QB well and we didn’t pressure their QB well enough. Too many weaknesses in key areas to go further in the playoffs.

And if we hadn’t been in weak division probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs. What other division in NFC would we have won?

Good points. I'm not arguing any of them. But take for example Cincinnati. Are they more talented than the Cowboys? Yet they got to the SB and almost won it. Their path wasn't like last year where Brady had to go through the gauntlet of good teams. Had to beat the Saints, followed by the Packers, and Chiefs in the SB. Cinci had to get past the Raiders and Titans. Then have one good game against the Chiefs and they're super bowl bound. The NFC isn't that tough next year. But then again, we don't have Joe Burrow.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good points. I'm not arguing any of them. But take for example Cincinnati. Are they more talented than the Cowboys? Yet they got to the SB and almost won it. Their path wasn't like last year where Brady had to go through the gauntlet of good teams. Had to beat the Saints, followed by the Packers, and Chiefs in the SB. Cinci had to get past the Raiders and Titans. Then have one good game against the Chiefs and they're super bowl bound. The NFC isn't that tough next year. But then again, we don't have Joe Burrow.
I’d argue the Bengals are more talented in a couple of key areas beginning with QB.

Bengals were one of worst in giving up sacks protecting their QB but still put up big numbers in passing game and big plays when the games were on the line.

Their defense also was good against the run and put pressure on opposing QB’s. And they had one of the best Kickers in the league.

I’d also note they played great down the stretch in December winning key games to win their division . And not only did they knock off the Chiefs they knocked off#1 seed Titans. In order to be the best you have to beat the best.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much. The GM of a team needs to be your very best talent evaluator with the ability to differentiate the person from the player and the full game tape vs definable statistics (with the most brutal honesty and top most conviction of winning championships). It doesn’t hurt for them to have some fear for the safety of their position too (every. single. season.).

Our GM goes to the senior bowl for the photo op before departing on his yacht until the draft week.

Flamma

Reaction score
I’d argue the Bengals are more talented in a couple of key areas beginning with QB.

Bengals we’re one of worst in giving up sacks protecting their QB but still put up big numbers in passing game and big plays when the games were on the line.

Their defense also was good against the run and put pressure on opposing QB’s.

And they had one of the best Kickers in the league.

A lot of this is perfume. Better kicker? Defense was good at putting pressure? Better than Dallas? Or do you mean against the Chiefs? Mahomes has a weakness and they exploited it. Nothing more. Their pass rush is nothing to write home about. Their QB however is something to note. They got shredded by Mike White and the Jets.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really think this talent evaluation is completely overrated.

How many of these players are really in the top 10 at their position?

On offense, RG and when he is healthy, LT. It is arguable the QB, any WR or the RB are top 10.

On defense, LB and CB.

Where is all this talent? Does this look like a team or a gathering of individuals to you?
And what if the QB is over rated. We know our RB is.

How much does that cloud the talent issue. Then it comes down to we have a couple receivers and one great healthy OL.

And a great Rookie LB, a good DE when he’s healthy and a CB who made a bunch of pics but otherwise beaten badly.

Amazing we win our division . Good thing we are in East or probably not a playoff team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A lot of this is perfume. Better kicker? Defense was good at putting pressure? Better than Dallas? Or do you mean against the Chiefs? Mahomes has a weakness and they exploited it. Nothing more. Their pass rush is nothing to write home about. Their QB however is something to note. They got shredded by Mike White and the Jets.
Bengals had a top 10 defense.

Flamma

Reaction score

I don't think they were better than us. But they did have a fantastic QB. That can go a long way. A top ten defense doesn't mean much. It just means they were top ten. You can still suck and be top ten. You just don't suck as much.

Flamma

Reaction score

Mahomes doesn't step up in the pocket. Similar to Murray and Jackson. Guys with legs have a habit of this. They drop back, scan the field, toss it. But once the pocket starts to collapse, they don't step up in the pocket. Instead they take off. Less mobile QBs step up, side step, and deliver the ball. Similar to what Stafford, Brady, Brees, QBs like that do when the pocket collapses. Mahomes starts running in circles. He cost them the game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think they were better than us. But they did have a fantastic QB. That can go a long way. A top ten defense doesn't mean much. It just means they were top ten. You can still suck and be top ten. You just don't suck as much.
Our team was so over hyped. We were 6-0 against our division and 6-6 vs the rest. The only playoff teams we beat were Philly and NE. And when NE was 2-4.

We dominate lesser teams and struggle against better teams. I’m just not sure why more fans don’t see this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has plenty of money. He wants to win..........but only on his terms. He does not want a coach whose going to get all the credit for winning. So, he handicaps them by taking away most of the decision making.
Wish more people would get beyond the money aspect. That stopped being part of the problem decades ago.

The primary issue is the unchanging managerial philosophy overseeing the franchise's football operations. It is irrelevant how many "assets" you hire underneath you to run the team if everyone below you has adopted your perspective on success.

Businesses, local or global, public or private, new or established, that do not achieve successful goals hire managers they believe can do the job. Sport franchises are not an exception to this basic everyday concept.

Jerry Jones' annual denial that his franchise's football operations require fresh managerial oversight is an atypical business stance. This man is the owner of several successful business ventures in sports, oil, etc. He named himself President of the Dallas Cowboys. He owns ultimate, undisputed, untouchable power over his franchise regardless whether or not he keeps the title of general manager. His death grip as GM can be described in no way, shape or form as need. It is strictly and unquestionably a want.

An egotistical business owner would have hired a general manager 20+ years ago. A business owner with a giant-sized ego would have stubbornly held on for a couple more years. The Dallas Cowboys GM has demonstrated for decades that he does not have an ego. He does not have a giant ego either.

Jerral Wayne Jones is a narcissist.

That is the problem.

Flamma

Reaction score
Our team was so over hyped. We were 6-0 against our division and 6-6 vs the rest. The only playoff teams we beat were Philly and NE. And when NE was 2-4.

We dominate lesser teams and struggle against better teams. I’m just not sure why more fans don’t see this.

Actually, the Cowboys offense has developed a pattern since 2019. Apparently something no one notices. People just look at stats.

Dre11

Reaction score
I give Jerry no credit.

a talented team that doesn't function properly will fail every time. its happened multiple times and its not just limited to football.

when a owner/gm tells the coach that his replacement is already on the coaching staff and he will be replaced and that he forces the coaches onto the head coach who is supposed to put his own team together, then the dysfunction begins. when the owner/gm pals up to the players, goes into business with them, then it blurs the line of authority and a player like Smith with a club foot stays around for far too long. when personal relationships lead to huge contracts and favoritism then it blurs the lines of coaching and team management.

we may have talent. but we don't function as a "team" nor a football team. we have a group of individuals with specific skills who have formed some pockets of team structure and work together under the umberalla of Cowboys organization.

as it is today and as proven, that model will never eve succeed.

Lol...he never said his replacement was on the staff. He said he is qualified to coach the Cowboys, which he is, doesn't mean he will.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lol...he never said his replacement was on the staff. He said he is qualified to coach the Cowboys, which he is, doesn't mean he will.
that is still wrong thing to say, its this, plus what he told quinn. etc. there is always jerry created drama in dallas. that can not be denid

shabazz

Reaction score
Jerry should have been inducted into a “Businesss Hall of fame” instead of the NFL one.

With football he’s a one hit wonder and will never again achieve the glory that came through Jimmy Johnsons leadership and the Herschel Walker train robbery.

as an entrepreneur, he’s high level and should be commended for the revenue his FO generates.