Twitter: Jerry: Smith was the 16th player on our board

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They drafted a project with technique and football discipline problems when there were two legit defensive studs still on the board
Yeah they said they would go bpa, but that seems like a need pick doesnt it?

I liked the other tyler, linderbaum that pitt got, wrestler, throw a bail of hay over 14 ' pole.
But it seemed to me to be more def players that were better at that point, so why not go def.

Maybe I am wrong, but this guy looks like another connor williams.

Reactions: CWR

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Yeah they said they would go bpa, but that seems like a need pick doesnt it?

I liked the other tyler, linderbaum that pitt got, wrestler, throw a bail of hay over 14 ' pole.
But it seemed to me to be more def players that were better at that point, so why not go def.

Maybe I am wrong, but this guy looks like another connor williams.
Definitely a need pick.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think guard is easier to play than tackle, so I would expect less hooks. I think he’ll do okay at guard because guard is more of a bench press position than heavy technique position like tackle. I can see Smith looking like Collins when he played guard once they coach him up.

There's a good chance that there will be times he absolutely buries DTs and other times when they get him off-balanced or out of position and bury our QB. Hopefully, the good times outnumber the bad ones by quite a bit.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That is because you are a fan and not a scout. He should be an immediate starter at LG that could probably develop into a starting tackle in the future. He has a high ceiling and plays nasty. To top it off he just turned 21 this month. One of the youngest players in the draft.
I've read several scouts say Tyler Smith is not a 1st round talent. More like a mid-round. Watch the tape...his supposed highlight reel...

The very first 8 plays before the video creator starts mentioning his YouTube Channel...

Just watch. Holding, grabbing, tugging and pulling down in every play those first 8 plays
...and against Div II opponents.

You believe he would have performed better against Div I opponents? How about starting NFL???

1st round draft picks are supposed to be stud players who start and play well, NOT PROJECT PLAYERS.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I've read several scouts say Tyler Smith is not a 1st round talent. More like a mid-round. Watch the tape...his supposed highlight reel...

The very first 8 plays before the video creator starts mentioning his YouTube Channel...

Just watch. Holding, grabbing, tugging and pulling down in every play those first 8 plays
...and against Div II opponents.

You believe he would have performed better against Div I opponents? How about starting NFL???

1st round draft picks are supposed to be stud players who start and play well, NOT PROJECT PLAYERS.

didnt know Cincinnati and okie state are D2 schools.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
didnt know Cincinnati and okie state are D2 schools.
2. That's all you could find? I bet you're thumping your chest with pride, eh? Make sure you're thumping it when Tyler Smith starts accumulating flags and hurting our Offense.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That may be true, didn't we have the Titans on the phone? Don't get me wrong, the Jones boys are still full of crap no doubt..

Vikings had a similar comment about their "move". They said they were considering Lewis Cine at 12 and moved down to a more appropriate spot to take him.

If you covet a guy at 12, you don't move 20 spots and expect him to still be there. That's a load of bollocks

CWR

Reaction score
Vikings had a similar comment about their "move". They said they were considering Lewis Cine at 12 and moved down to a more appropriate spot to take him.

If you covet a guy at 12, you don't move 20 spots and expect him to still be there. That's a load of bollocks

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. In Jerry's world we supposedly coveted Tyler Smith, so we did NOT move down with the Titans.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. In Jerry's world we supposedly coveted Tyler Smith, so we did NOT move down with the Titans.

Just in the line of teams saying whatever to justify what they did that people are doubting, whether it's entirely true or not. Cowboys wanted Smith at 24, Cowboys got Smith at 24. All this other exposition is just blowing smoke.

CWR

Reaction score
Just in the line of teams saying whatever to justify what they did that people are doubting, whether it's entirely true or not. Cowboys wanted Smith at 24, Cowboys got Smith at 24. All this other exposition is just blowing smoke.

I dont disagree with that. I think they did have Tennessee on the phone, but that doesn't in any way prove he was their 16th ranked prospect. Although I guess Fisher said he was a possibility. I'm not thrilled with the pick, but I'm wise enough to remember not being thrilled with Travis Fredrick either. We do have a good track record with 1st round oline so I'll be cautiously optimistic. I'd have been excited had we taken the Center though.

Carter

Reaction score
I dont believe anything like this.

They were hoping for either Penning, Johnson or Green.

Probably even tried to move up for Penning. Everything failed they panicked and took a 2-3 Round project guy over a Day 1 Starter like Jermaine Johnson just to fill the need.

They should have gone Johnson 1st and Guard 2nd. Still plenty of good Guards on the board in Round 2.

plasticman

Reaction score

The most impressive aspect of the conversation with this unnamed GM is that he was able to get it out with a straight face.

Seriously, how did this conversation come up between Werder and this GM?

I'm not bagging on Smith. I mean, what do I know?

However, I would have thought that an offensive lineman in the 1st round would have to be NFL ready for the Cowboys to draft him.

And there's that word again and again....."potentially"......he could "potentially" be a great player once he is developed. They are going to begin developing him by starting him at RG.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Was really hoping we were gonna pick Devin Lloyd! But I can't be mad at an oline pick. The oline does need help. Dude looks like a monster in some highlights so hopefully it works out great for us. I'm still dumbfouned we haven't hired a new oline coach though!?