Twitter: Jerry talks about play calling for Saints game

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
notice he reference the Rams playoff game. What's ironic is the D, not the offense loss the Rams game.
I think he's talking about what that offense did to the defense and wanting the Cowboys offense to be more like them.

If they assessed themselves as the D being the problem, I think they would have done something about the DT's and Safeties, because those positions got them killed against the Rams.

khiladi

Reaction score
Pretty simple, he expecting adjustments when something not working.........notice he reference the Rams playoff game. What's ironic is the D, not the offense loss the Rams game.

Looks like Moore is on the hot seat, not Garrett. Oh boy...

In all honesty, it all goes back to Jerry and 2016, where he believes that it’s all about the coordinators. One can save Garrett, provided one has decent coordinators around him.

khiladi

Reaction score
The offense cost us the game against the Rams. The defense, despite the yards given up, more than held them from scoring while Dak floundered around trying to pass the ball, with the pass-heavy playcalling.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
In general, there is a line to walk here. If you run the ball once and it doesn't work, you shouldn't stop for the game. Correct me if I am wrong but that was one of the knocks on Garrett from his early years. He effectively over adjusted and gave up on stuff too quickly.

At the end of the day, being a coach is kind of an art. You have to have a feel for the game you are watching. Belichick is a master at knowing when to push what button. Sean Payton isn't much behind him. Garrett is literally on the other end of that spectrum and its probably his biggest flaw. He just has poor judgment as to when he should let it ride or when he should change things up.

Edit add: And yes, the Saints game was one where he should have changed things up.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Only we didn't see those other things they wanted to do because they were too worried about the crowd noise.

Exactly. I haven't seen much comment on this, but to me the offense was overwhelmed by the crowd and never got over it. Were they not prepared for the noise they would encounter?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty simple, he expecting adjustments when something not working.........notice he reference the Rams playoff game. What's ironic is the D, not the offense loss the Rams game.

As an *expert* on translating Jerry Jones speak, I will point out he threw Kellen Moore firmly under the bus and left Jason Garrett lying on the curb with a hip contusion suffered after falling from it.

Anyone reading that and believing Jones is disappointed with Garrett as much or more than Moore are way off base in my opinion. One must think like Jones to get an inkling what he is really saying.

khiladi

Reaction score
As an *expert* on translating Jerry Jones speak, I will point out he threw Kellen Moore firmly under the bus and left Jason Garrett lying on the curb with a hip contusion suffered after falling from it.

Anyone reading that and believing Jones is disappointed with Garrett as much or more than Moore are way off base in my opinion. One must think like Jones to get an inkling what he is really saying.

Yep.. this is a worrying sign, even though in my guts I felt that this is the way it’s going to be..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO, just what adjustments would that old coot think might work? Him being such an expect in coaching. There are long time OC's that struggle with adjustments, let alone one in his 4th game in one of the toughest venues. The majority of coaches in the NFL are stuck with their strategy and damned few are good enough tacticians to fix what ain't working.

As usual, he'd do a lot better keeping that flapping mouth shut. Anyone notice any of the losing GM's talking to the media. So, what's the deal? Let one OC go because of the lack of adjustments only to see that not happen with your new one? Who, in their right football mind, expects an inexperienced OC who is in training and in his 4th game to out adjust a guy coaching his 200+ game?

Ya know, every time that clown opens his mouth, he makes this loss a little easier to take. And after that little march down Bourbon so adults dressed as kids could chant his name made that loss a lot easier to take. I wonder if he marched down there after that game?

Why place this on the coaching staff? Why not the execution of the players, not fumbling would be a nice adjustment. Why not just say "the Saints are a good team, they were missing their QB1 and leader and closed ranks and out played us, they wanted it more and made fewer mistakes". That stupid SOB lets the players off and places the blame on the coaches?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. I haven't seen much comment on this, but to me the offense was overwhelmed by the crowd and never got over it. Were they not prepared for the noise they would encounter?
I was there. It is true. The offense struggled pre-snap but I strongly doubt crowd noise adversely affected execution after the snap. The unit was simply off and very conservative in its attack basically the entire game. I would like to say the defense were showing exotic pre-snap looks to throw off the offense but it did not look (to me) New Orleans was disguising much of their defensive sets.

khiladi

Reaction score
LMAO, just what adjustments would that old coot think might work? Him being such an expect in coaching. There are long time OC's that struggle with adjustments, let alone one in his 4th game in one of the toughest venues. The majority of coaches in the NFL are stuck with their strategy and damned few are good enough tacticians to fix what ain't working.

As usual, he'd do a lot better keeping that flapping mouth shut. Anyone notice any of the losing GM's talking to the media. So, what's the deal? Let one OC go because of the lack of adjustments only to see that not happen with your new one? Who, in their right football mind, expects an inexperienced OC who is in training and in his 4th game to out adjust a guy coaching his 200+ game?

Ya know, every time that clown opens his mouth, he makes this loss a little easier to take. And after that little march down Bourbon so adults dressed as kids could chant his name made that loss a lot easier to take. I wonder if he marched down there after that game?

Why place this on the coaching staff? Why not the execution of the players, not fumbling would be a nice adjustment. Why not just say "the Saints are a good team, they were missing their QB1 and leader and closed ranks and out played us, they wanted it more and made fewer mistakes". That stupid SOB lets the players off and places the blame on the coaches?

He needs a scapegoat got Garrett. Notice how he took the time to mention the HC as being absolved from this.

This is the HC that couldn’t adjust to save his life and defenses were basically calling out his plays.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, every time that clown opens his mouth, he makes this loss a little easier to take.
If that is the case, Jones will have you feeling happy as a clam by Thursday. /zero sarcasm implied