Recommended Jerry the owner and ever the salesman

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Jerry-the-owner, but I also accept he is who he is, and that is a salesman.

He has been chasing another Super Bowl win for 25 years like we as fans have, but he has been pumping and dumping the team on us every time we have some success.

He sells fans on what should happen every season, then sells fans on what should happen in the post-season the few times the Cowboys have made it, and then sells fans on "he will fix this" every time those things end in failure.

I do not fault him for being a salesman because it is who he is and to make money he needs the fans believing in the team and management regardless of the performance and results on the fields.

However, after 25 years, I have grown immune to his expectational sales pitches just as I have to would-have, could-have and should-have.excuses and future promises after the seasons end.

I enjoy the journey more now because I no longer expect anything from the Cowboys, which is a bit disappointing quite honestly, but it allows me to enjoy the season a lot more without worrying what happens at the end.

If the Cowboys lose today, next week, the week after or even in the Super Bowl, it was more than I was expecting so it was a good season, which is ultimately how Jerry wants fans to think.

The Cowboys fan base has slowly devolved from "We are going to the Super Bowl!" every season to what we get now which is every 2-3 years, "We are in the playoffs!" only to lose in the first or second round.

Maybe this year will be different .. I hope it will be, but at this point, every playoff game is just a bonus game so I will enjoy the extra time I get to watch the Cowboys play and hopefully they will one day finally give us more than that expectation.

As we all like to say ... GO COWBOYS!

:thumbup:

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Jerry-the-owner, but I also accept he is who he is, and that is a salesman.

He has been chasing another Super Bowl win for 25 years like we as fans have, but he has been pumping and dumping the team on us every time we have some success.

He sells fans on what should happen every season, then sells fans on what should happen in the post-season the few times the Cowboys have made it, and then sells fans on "he will fix this" every time those things end in failure.

I do not fault him for being a salesman because it is who he is and to make money he needs the fans believing in the team and management regardless of the performance and results on the fields.

However, after 25 years, I have grown immune to his expectational sales pitches just as I have to would-have, could-have and should-have.excuses and future promises after the seasons end.

I enjoy the journey more now because I no longer expect anything from the Cowboys, which is a bit disappointing quite honestly, but it allows me to enjoy the season a lot more without worrying what happens at the end.

If the Cowboys lose today, next week, the week after or even in the Super Bowl, it was more than I was expecting so it was a good season, which is ultimately how Jerry wants fans to think.

The Cowboys fan base has slowly devolved from "We are going to the Super Bowl!" every season to what we get now which is every 2-3 years, "We are in the playoffs!" only to lose in the first or second round.

Maybe this year will be different .. I hope it will be, but at this point, every playoff game is just a bonus game so I will enjoy the extra time I get to watch the Cowboys play and hopefully they will one day finally give us more than that expectation.

Good Post, exactly where I'm at also

rags

Reaction score
I think the problem is that some fans can't differentiate between Jerry the salesman and Jerry the owner and GM.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I was a football fan before the Cowboys even were born. I have remained that, and love the sport with or without Jerry. I love the Dallas Cowboys and also Jerry. I am a loyal fan, but not handcuffed to my fandom. I enjoy the challenge met in each and every contest. That isn't locked in with a desire for a fan satisfying Lombardi. I'm already satisfied with my team and play on the carpet.

Enough of my basics...Go Cowboys! Do no niceties to San Francisco.

odog422

Reaction score

I’m in the same place thankfully so I too can enjoy the games and not “die” with the losses. But what is disheartening because it’s true is no longer feeling like the Super Bowl is an expectation, instead, just hoping to make the playoffs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
My hopes aren’t up because I don’t trust our offensive players and it has nothing to do with Jerry.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Jerry, I remember the first time I met him...I told him that I wanted to shake the hand of the man that fired Jimmy Johnson....he grinned ear to ear....his screw up was Garrett......

Vomit

Reaction score

After decades of buying the hype, I am over it. And that’s fine. I watch cuz it’s a distraction from reality. I have hope when it’s plausible, and am not surprised at the losses.
That sage & philosopher Lemmy Kilmister instructed us, so let us learn: “You win some, lose some, it’s all the same to me.”

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure Jerry has nothing to do with CowboysZone. As much as everyone here bad mouths him on a daily basis he would have shut the place down years ago if he could.
Jerry is reality!! He's all in your head and you keep buying what he's selling.....

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Good thread.

I'll add something. I think the fact that Jerry is a salesman is what puts a cap on the cowboys. His incessant positivity has some deleterious effects on the team:
- I think Dallas loses free agents and has to pay players more than other teams because they get overhyped
- I think that the team eats the cheese too easily and loses focus because the GM is telling everyone how great everything is.
- I think that the constant high penalty rates are a reflection of a lack of discipline and accountability

The eras of Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson where everything had to be perfect are long gone and for whatever reason, Jerry has never understood that level of detail is important if you want to be the best team out of 32.

I do think that the Cowboys aren't all bad with Jerry as GM. They don't give out stupid FA contracts. They generally draft well. I think the current coaching staff is fine. The team certainly isn't cheap. I just think that all of these positives get limited by other factors and out of 31 NFL teams, there are always going to be a small handful better.

Blitzen

Reaction score

Agreed, I’m happy to just be in the playoffs. I’ve seen the mantra “it could be worse” quite a bit on this forum and from other depression era people (either directly or indirectly affected). Not sure anyone would buy that slogan on a tshirt (with Cowboys branding).

I have zero expectations for today. Prepared for a complete flop and will be pleased with that or the team making a run. The saddest realization of fandom. Not sure that will create lots of new fans. They might actually demand positive postseason results.