CFZ Jerry vs Stephen

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen will want to cut Zeke and Tyron after this season.

Jerry will want to keep them.

Stephen has gotten his way with the cuts of Jerry pet cats like Dez & Jaylon as well replacing Garrett.

It appears that Stephen didn't really want to re-sign Gregory but RG was Jerry's pet cat. Stephen offered the contract but irritated RG/agent and they didn't sign it.

Stephen definitely didn't want to give Zeke the big contract but Jerry had a meltdown and insisted.

Stephen hates over-paying players relative to their contributions.

Zeke has a salary of.10.9M for 2023.
- It is the 1st time his salary is not guaranteed.

Tyron has a 13.6M salary for 2023.

Current year Cap hit does not matter with regards to keep or cut decisions. The non-guaranteed base salaries are the deciding criteria with regards to cap dollars in keep/cut scenarios.
- They save 100% of the non-guaranteed base salary if they cut the player. The savings might be spread over 2 seasons but they save all of it.
- They manage the cap on a multi-year basis, not on a 1 year at a time basis.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Stephen has gotten his way with the cuts of Jerry pet cats like Dez & Jaylon as well replacing Garrett.

It appears that Stephen didn't really want to re-sign Gregory but RG was Jerry's pet cat. Stephen offered the contract but irritated RG/agent and they didn't sign it.

Stephen definitely didn't want to give Zeke the big contract but Jerry had a meltdown and insisted.

Current year Cap hit does not matter with regards to keep or cut decisions. The non-guaranteed base salaries are the deciding criteria with regards to cap dollars in keep/cut scenarios.
- They save 100% of the non-guaranteed base salary if they cut the player. The savings might be spread over 2 seasons but they save all of it.

I expect this will be the final season for Tyron. As for Zeke I'm interested in seeing if the Cowboys look for a pay cut if Zeke does not want to do that then I think Zeke will be released.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Tyron should be an easy decision with the play of Tyler Smith this season, Zeke is a whole other story. Best friend is Dak and is considered a team leader. Cannot see him playing with his current deal, but perhaps a paycut like Tank took this yr.

Jarntt

Reaction score
What's your source Stephen will want to cut Zeke?
Source, shhmource. Don't let facts or accuracy get in the way of an interesting debate or we won't have any 20 page threads...

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I personally think zeke is getting a pay cut and an extension. Pollard is getting franchised tagged. I know that’s a lot of dough tied into the running back position but that’s what I think is gonna happen

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm curious to see what they decide to do with Pollard. Obviously, he could choose to leave if he's not franchised. What will the Jones boys do?
RB is the cheapest position to Tag.
RB 9.5M
WR 18M

They pay less for the RB position in 2023 than 2022 if they Tag Pollard and cut Zeke.

They can draft a RB and see how M. Davis develops.

If the draft pick or Davis show starter ability, then no need to keep Pollard for 2024. If not then pay Pollard if he proves himself as the #1 RB in 2023.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score

Stephen Jones paid Demarcus Lawrence.

JayFord

Reaction score
Stephen has no problem cutting talent

but his issue is replacing talent.....He could have a superstar willing to sign for less but rather go get a 7th rounder and hope it pans out

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I personally think zeke is getting a pay cut and an extension. Pollard is getting franchised tagged. I know that’s a lot of dough tied into the running back position but that’s what I think is gonna happen

Cowboys would be better off giving Pollard a 3 to 4 year deal over franchise tag which would the avg of the top 5 players at that position McCaffrey is at 16 mill and the 5th highest paid RB is Henry at 12.5. Move like that on a 1 year deal would cost Dallas around 14 mill.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones paid Demarcus Lawrence.
He didn't really want to do it and those negotiations were lengthy with DLaw on the tag into April.

This off-season he gave DLaw/agent the offer of cut or pay cut. Then the story narrative came out as "Jerry stepped in and worked it out". DLaw ended up taking a pay cut but not as big of a cut as SJ's initial offer.

plasticman

Reaction score

Difficult to know what goes on behind closed doors but this is a realistic premise based on what we do know about the two Jones's.

My premise is that they will keep Zeke and say goodbye to Tyron who said before last season that he wanted to play another 5 seasons..

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Cowboys would be better off giving Pollard a 3 to 4 year deal over franchise tag which would the avg of the top 5 players at that position McCaffrey is at 16 mill and the 5th highest paid RB is Henry at 12.5. Move like that on a 1 year deal would cost Dallas around 14 mill.

I can see that. Make sense. My main point is I think both are here

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I can see that. Make sense. My main point is I think both are here

I would hope so. Pollard in my view has earned it. I hope to see a deal between 7 to 8 mill a season on a 3 to 4 year deal. No where close to what McCaffery gets but still I think a fair offer.

Praxit

Reaction score
I expect this will be the final season for Tyron. As for Zeke I'm interested in seeing if the Cowboys look for a pay cut if Zeke does not want to do that then I think Zeke will be released.
....that's my feeling as well. I believe Zeke will restructure his contract, take a cut somewhere. Cant imagine the guy leaving Dallas.

Tyron on other hand, has all the plausibles for being let go. Just not healthy enough to continue playing.

visionary

Reaction score
What's your source Stephen will want to cut Zeke?

baseball-cap-isolated-on-white.jpg

space

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams almost always use the non-exclusive tag which is top 5 at the position the past 5 years.

It was 9.5M for 2021.