Twitter: Jerry: We're starting over at kicker

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Starting over doesn’t mean it won’t be Maher.
The dude had a great year and never struggled until the refs messed with his holder right before the playoff game. He hit his final kicks vs SF. Unless someone beats him out, it’s silly to just cast him aside.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Good.

I still feel bad for Maher. Great season, those awesome 60+ yard field goals… and then his career is just absolutely obliterated over the course of a few minutes.

His career has to be over, right? Who else is going to sign the guy that missed 4 easy field goals in the playoffs?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Now this was a wise move. You cannot trust Brett Maher, after his meltdown in the playoffs. If you did, you'd have that as a distraction on your mind the whole game. His meltdown already changed the outcome against the 9ers. Had he been on the money, like the regular season, there's a good chance they win that game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The dude had a great year and never struggled until the refs messed with his holder right before the playoff game. He hit his final kicks vs SF. Unless someone beats him out, it’s silly to just cast him aside.
Good point. We are quick to remember the disaster against Tamps, but also quick to forget how great Maher was the rest of the season. Nothing wrong with keeping all options on the table. It will be interesting to see what Maher's market looks like though. I can understand Jerry letting the guy walk if another team wants to pay him top 10 Kicker money.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I guess it kind of depends. If starting over means signing a starter from some other team or drafting a kicker, then we probably wouldn't re-sign Maher to compete.

I agree that there's no reason to not bring him back. He's not going to get some megadeal after the playoff debacle, so you can re-sign him and bring in competition.

However, if Jones said they are starting over, I think that means that Maher is out.