Jerry with Fish: I want everyone focused on winning

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
It blows my mind the mentality to be the highest paid player when you are a Dallas Cowboy, especially the QB. If you are not factoring in the endorsement deals that come with that position you are not being realistic.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
He has 3 players wondering about their next contract and he wants them focused on football. Perhaps he should sit down and get all the deals done and then everyone can focus on winning games. It's human nature.
EXACTLY! Either pay them or trade them. That is what REAL NFL GMs have to weigh and do!!!

There is ZERO pressure on this front office to make sound football decisions. They make more money than ANYBODY and have not won in forever. So this "back to the wall" pressure is laughable to me.

The Jones "secure the bag" then focus on winning....but they want the players to focus on winning and then try to make them feel guilty for wanting to "secure the bag".

The Jones family get paid...and they don't win...but their partners in this marriage....the players....should have to win to get paid?

John813

Reaction score
All I would like to see is consistency out of the front office.

Hold firm on whatever route they want to take.
Don't want all 3 guys not resetting the market? Cool. Stick to those guns.
They folded on Martin just last year. Zeke held out, and they folded then.
Just seems like it's these tough quotes, and then a month later Stephen/Jerry bends over and gives up every concession to get the deal done as this is the year they can win it all

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What a pathetic jumble of words. This guy is not only an embarrassment when he talks, he looks old and incompetent too.
I thought it was some of the clearest, most concise comments I have heard from Jerry in a long time.

He clearly understands that he can't field a competitive team while making them all the highest paid players at their positions. Seemed to be very clear that he knows Dak my very well turn down whatever amount he is willing to pay & that means a parting of the ways.

Only question I have is, is resetting the cap at the QB position enough that he's comfortable signing the other two? Or does he feel like two of the three will have to get their money elsewhere?

And he clearly wants to see people exhibit a focus on winning before continuing a relationship with them.

I'm encouraged by everything he said.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It blows my mind the mentality to be the highest paid player when you are a Dallas Cowboy, especially the QB. If you are not factoring in the endorsement deals that come with that position you are not being realistic.
Problem with that is the money these guys make from their contracts has made the endorsement money chump change. Plus I'm not sure being a Cowboy is that much more profitable in that regard anymore. I have no idea what the 2023 numbers look like but in 2022, 2021, and 2020 Dak isn't at the top of the lists. There doesnt seem to be much of a difference between an that money from Dak good QBs in smaller markets either.

RS12

Reaction score
If only this had been his mantra the last 28 years. Hard to teach very old dogs, new tricks.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I thought it was some of the clearest, most concise comments I have heard from Jerry in a long time.

He clearly understands that he can't field a competitive team while making them all the highest paid players at their positions. Seemed to be very clear that he knows Dak my very well turn down whatever amount he is willing to pay & that means a parting of the ways.

Only question I have is, is resetting the cap at the QB position enough that he's comfortable signing the other two? Or does he feel like two of the three will have to get their money elsewhere?

And he clearly wants to see people exhibit a focus on winning before continuing a relationship with them.

I'm encouraged by everything he said.
I normally agree with BobHaze, but I do agree with you McKDaddy on this one. No, it wasn't the kind of clarity you get from a normal GM, but Jerry revealed what HE THINKS the team's problem was last year:

MATURITY

The men on this team - especially the 3 principles - were NOT focused on winning but instead positioning themselves for a new contract/podcast/notoriety. Was this true all of the time for all 3? NO, but I believe Jerry saw guys who were pouting, fussing, etc...and forgot they are PAID MILLIONS TO BE PROFESSIONALS. That display against GB was not just embarrassing with the X and O's...the response of all 3 was lackluster.

Dak - blamed CeeDee for his errant throws and erratic pulse early
CD - starts pouting and exhibiting negative body language that indicates he's given up - in the first quarter!!!
Micah - did he even play? Stat sheet says NO.

And I do agree with Jerry...they all mean well...but paying them would NOT have solved the problem he saw in GB.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
lol he wants the guys 'focused on winning' but created a situation with a lame duck coach, 3 key players without contracts and made no real moves in free agency to make the team better.
I agree...depending on how you look at it...it seems counter-productive. But every Cowboys prods differently...no pun intended lol. Meaning...sometimes you use this method to motivate as the last resort...because there's no coming back from this motivational ploy unless you win.

I agree with Jerry's overall point: Some people NEED the pressure and in Jerry's estimation...this team needs it.

This reminds me of the Jerry/Stephen story of when Stephen was young,rich and such and was throwing parties and hanging out and Jerry came home, made him get out the pool and get a job. He obviously loved Stephen but he had missed the point of all the love...it's so that one day you can work without resentment...not that you don't work. Bottom line is that Jerry hates being taken advantage of...even by his own children. It gets his blood up...and it looks like he's still pissed.

GOOD.