Jerry with Fish: I want everyone focused on winning

birdwells1

Reaction score
With how you lower the cap hits for early years you're absolutely correct, I'm just saying that Jerry isn't really lying here. He's inflating the numbers a little bit, but the metric that is being used by teams in evaluating contracts is AAV by % of cap in the year they signed. By that metric hes absolutely right that three guys will be taking up more than half the cap.

When talking about a Dak Prescott who is now on the wrong side of 30 years old and Parsons who has suggested he doesn't want to play past the age of 30 you have to factor in how much you want to backload these deals because renegotating may not be an option as you get to the expensive years....depending on how long they sign for I guess.
The issue is that the Joneses have the luxury of looking far into the future because they have lock tight job security, other GMs do these deals because they are under pressure to win or they'll be fired. This is the biggest reason that we haven't been to an NFCCG in close to 30 years.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Those players are all top players in this league.Take Jalen Hurts contract for instance, he signed for 5 year 250 million APY 50 but only cost 6 mil against the cap in 2023 and will cost 13 mil in 2024. The only things fans should be concerned with is cap hits nothing else. If the Joneses signed these players they can spread out the cap hit amongst all the year plus void years but the issue is they don't want to pay the upfront cash. The Cowboys are ranked 30th in the NFL in cash spending since 2021. THE MOST VALUABLE FRANCHISE IN THE WORLD IS 30TH IN CASH SPENDING AND HAS THE LOWEST PAID HEAD COACH!!!
I don't think you are comparing apples to apples concerning cap hits. Jalen was still on rookie contract when he signed his extension. Thus the cap hits haven't yet begun to reflect the extension value.

Dak has cap hits from current deal that continue even if he isn't here. Any new deal could soften the blow a little over the first couple years but would eventually eat up a significant % of the cap.

At least those are what I've been led to believe by folks who put way more effort into understanding those things than I do.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The issue is that the Joneses have the luxury of looking far into the future because they have lock tight job security, other GMs do these deals because they are under pressure to win or they'll be fired. This is the biggest reason that we haven't been to an NFCCG in close to 30 years.
You'd think a Jerry Jones that turns 82 in a few months wouldn't be looking that far into the future, but for some we still had the slowest offseason I can remember.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Typical. Takes no blame.

‘I’ve paid them to play well so they should have. It’s not my fault.”

Insane. Can you imagine being an NFL GM who hasn’t signed a major free agent for fourteen years blaming his team of mid round draft picks for not getting it done??

Well yeah it just happened. Only here.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I did and didn't find it. That's why I asked. Based on your response I assume you're just full of it.
First article when you google "How much did Dak make in endorsements last year". By your response I'm going to assume you don't know how to use a search engine.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
First article when you google "How much did Dak make in endorsements last year". By your response I'm going to assume you don't know how to use a search engine.
This is what comes up and it says that Dak has made $50M in endorsement money in his career which comes out to average around $6M per year. That's significantly different from he made $50M in 2024 as you said.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are not giving a billionaire enough credit. BTW, this is an org strategy...not just Jerry. Jerry is basically saying that he's not going to pay Daniel Jones money just to have someone around and placate the fans ...which is what the Giants did. Dumb contracts have long tails and if Jerry was to sign free agents AND all 3 guys....2026 would be a crap show. You guys don't care about it, but you would in 2026...barring some miracle SB run. So...if you want to be good in 2026...you can't pay Dak, Micah, CeeDee...AND get free agents. That's fantasy football...especially if you have questions about their character.
Fantasy football is thinking this front office will pay for free agents….

Like I said above, the issue isn’t not paying guys. The issue is not having a plan and sticking your head in the sand isn’t a plan.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This is what comes up and it says that Dak has made $50M in endorsement money in his career which comes out to average around $6M per year. That's significantly different from he made $50M in 2024 as you said.
the "Dallas Cowboys Endorsment" advantage has been overblown for years, name me the last FA who would come here at a lower cost because "He will get endorsments"..most want to win and wont touch this FO with a ten foot poll.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
the "Dallas Cowboys Endorsment" advantage has been overblown for years, name me the last FA who would come here at a lower cost because "He will get endorsments"..most want to win and wont touch this FO with a ten foot poll.
Agree. In the modern world the biggest endorsement guys and the top jersey sellers are the same guys that are holding up the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year. Next are the ones who are in the running for it every year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It blows my mind the mentality to be the highest paid player when you are a Dallas Cowboy, especially the QB. If you are not factoring in the endorsement deals that come with that position you are not being realistic.
“endorsement deals”. If that were in fact true players would want to sign with the Cowboys at a corresponding discount. Since they don’t it can only mean endorsement deals are of no consequence to players in deference to playing for a particular NFL franchise. The Dallas Cowboys have no advantage over the other 31 NFL franchises in any way. The fact that their stars have to hold out or threaten to just to be paid what their peers on other teams get paid will increasingly become a disadvantage. Professional football players don’t see any prestige in that “star” on the helmet. None. Cowboys fans fantasize that players desire to play for the Dallas Cowboys. They don’t. That is “realistic”.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Fantasy football is thinking this front office will pay for free agents….

Like I said above, the issue isn’t not paying guys. The issue is not having a plan and sticking your head in the sand isn’t a plan.
Something seems off.

Of course it’s a pure guess but I’m not so sure Jerry and Son are on the same page with a few things.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
“endorsement deals”. If that were in fact true players would want to sign with the Cowboys at a corresponding discount. Since they don’t it can only mean endorsement deals are of no consequence to players in deference to playing for a particular NFL franchise. The Dallas Cowboys have no advantage over the other 31 NFL franchises in any way. The fact that their stars have to hold out or threaten to just to be paid what their peers on other teams get paid will increasingly become a disadvantage. Professional football players don’t see any prestige in that “star” on the helmet. None. Cowboys fans fantasize that players desire to play for the Dallas Cowboys. They don’t. That is “realistic”.
100%

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I agree...depending on how you look at it...it seems counter-productive. But every Cowboys prods differently...no pun intended lol. Meaning...sometimes you use this method to motivate as the last resort...because there's no coming back from this motivational ploy unless you win.

I agree with Jerry's overall point: Some people NEED the pressure and in Jerry's estimation...this team needs it.

This reminds me of the Jerry/Stephen story of when Stephen was young,rich and such and was throwing parties and hanging out and Jerry came home, made him get out the pool and get a job. He obviously loved Stephen but he had missed the point of all the love...it's so that one day you can work without resentment...not that you don't work. Bottom line is that Jerry hates being taken advantage of...even by his own children. It gets his blood up...and it looks like he's still pissed.

GOOD.
This team needs a competent GM and nether of the Jones’s are the answer.
If Jerry wants the team focused on winning then he needs to look in the mirror first!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This team needs a competent GM and nether of the Jones’s are the answer.
If Jerry wants the team focused on winning then he needs to look in the mirror first!
100% its funny he is kinda saying "Everyone ELSE needs do what needs to be done to win" Hey self proclaimed ship captain..heres a thought how bought you hold the GM accountable for the 28 year drought and do what needs to be done first!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Something seems off.

Of course it’s a pure guess but I’m not so sure Jerry and Son are on the same page with a few things.
You know I thought about this too. Unfortunately we will blame Jerry and I will until proven otherwise but I do have a sense this is Stephen’s doing. It’s consistent with his behavior over the years.