Jerry with Fish: I want everyone focused on winning

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
What's the point in being pissed and making 0 change? What are you trying to prove here?
A wise man once said (and did) nothing at all. The zero changes is telling the team the guys who want a collective 40% of the cap - show me THIS YEAR you can do it with nothing around you because that's what your contracts are telling me you can do. It's not a bad strategy at all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wow those were some interesting quotes from Jerry about Dak a couple minutes in, starting with "Dak has positioned himself to make the call"

It really sounds like Jerry is not on board with paying all three of these guys.
He thinks he’s in control but he’s so out of touch.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
lol he wants the guys 'focused on winning' but created a situation with a lame duck coach, 3 key players without contracts and made no real moves in free agency to make the team better.
It makes absolutely no sense lol. It’s so stupid I think it’s intentional.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
He thinks he’s in control but he’s so out of touch.
I have to say...I have talked to Cowboys fans of all stripes (randomly)...and almost none of them want Dak to get a new deal ...at least not at Mahomes level.

I would say Jerry would LOSE faith with most people if he signed Dak to a mega deal....he's in touch.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its-just-a-hot-mess-lularich.gif

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I have to say...I have talked to Cowboys fans of all stripes (randomly)...and almost none of them want Dak to get a new deal ...at least not at Mahomes level.

I would say Jerry would LOSE faith with most people if he signed Dak to a mega deal....he's in touch.
Whether people like Dak or not I don’t a Gm making decisions based on fandom.

You give him too much credit. This guy has absolutely no idea what he’s doing. And I don’t mean that in the sense of making bad decisions. I mean in the sense he’s doing nothing. He’s dragging his feet. The decision on Dak should’ve been made before now. Lamb as well. Proactive not reactive.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Problem with that is the money these guys make from their contracts has made the endorsement money chump change. Plus I'm not sure being a Cowboy is that much more profitable in that regard anymore. I have no idea what the 2023 numbers look like but in 2022, 2021, and 2020 Dak isn't at the top of the lists. There doesnt seem to be much of a difference between an that money from Dak good QBs in smaller markets either.
in 2024 Dak made 50 million in endorsements, do other QBs get endorsements on that level yes, but those are QBs with elite resumes.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Whether people like Dak or not I don’t a Gm making decisions based on fandom.

You give him too much credit. This guy has absolutely no idea what he’s doing. And I don’t mean that in the sense of making bad decisions. I mean in the sense he’s doing nothing. He’s dragging his feet. The decision on Dak should’ve been made before now. Lamb as well. Proactive not reactive.
You are not giving a billionaire enough credit. BTW, this is an org strategy...not just Jerry. Jerry is basically saying that he's not going to pay Daniel Jones money just to have someone around and placate the fans ...which is what the Giants did. Dumb contracts have long tails and if Jerry was to sign free agents AND all 3 guys....2026 would be a crap show. You guys don't care about it, but you would in 2026...barring some miracle SB run. So...if you want to be good in 2026...you can't pay Dak, Micah, CeeDee...AND get free agents. That's fantasy football...especially if you have questions about their character.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I thought it was some of the clearest, most concise comments I have heard from Jerry in a long time.

He clearly understands that he can't field a competitive team while making them all the highest paid players at their positions. Seemed to be very clear that he knows Dak my very well turn down whatever amount he is willing to pay & that means a parting of the ways.

Only question I have is, is resetting the cap at the QB position enough that he's comfortable signing the other two? Or does he feel like two of the three will have to get their money elsewhere?

And he clearly wants to see people exhibit a focus on winning before continuing a relationship with them.

I'm encouraged by everything he said.
This is what he wants to sell the fans but:
Lane Johnson 15.8 cap hit
Jalen Hurts 13.5
AJ Brown 11.8
Jordan Mailata 11.6
Darius Slay 10.6
Dallas Goedert 9.1
DeVonta Smith 8.1

These players combined cost 80.5 million against the cap and takes up 31.66 percent of the cap. Jerry is lying to y'all.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
in 2024 Dak made 50 million in endorsements, do other QBs get endorsements on that level yes, but those are QBs with elite resumes.
Do you have any sort of link to reflect that? $50M before the year is over just seems like an insane amount of money. The only player I've known to come close to that type of endorsement money is Brady. Most numbers I've seen show Mahomes as the top guy among active player around $20M and that's by a pretty solid margin. Maybe you're figures are right, but I'd love to see the source to know if it's more reliable data than what I'm seeing.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts 13.5
AJ Brown 11.8
Jordan Mailata 11.6
Darius Slay 10.6
Dallas Goedert 9.1
DeVonta Smith 8.1

These players combined cost 80.5 million against the cap and takes up 31.66 percent of the cap. Jerry is lying to y'all.
It's percentage of cap by AAV at time of signing. Yes you can manipulate the cap numbers all you want for an individual season, but that isn't what Jerry is talking about. The numbers Jerry is floating out there are still pretty high as itll be closer to the 50-60% range than the 75-80% he's been saying, but at time of signing if all three players reset the market Dak is likely at 25%, Lamb at 15%, and Parsons at 16%.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Do you have any sort of link to reflect that? $50M before the year is over just seems like an insane amount of money. The only player I've known to come close to that type of endorsement money is Brady. Most numbers I've seen show Mahomes as the top guy among active player around $20M and that's by a pretty solid margin. Maybe you're figures are right, but I'd love to see the source to know if it's more reliable data than what I'm seeing.
google it

birdwells1

Reaction score
It's percentage of cap by AAV at time of signing. Yes you can manipulate the cap numbers all you want for an individual season, but that isn't what Jerry is talking about. The numbers Jerry is floating out there are still pretty high as itll be closer to the 50-60% range than the 75-80% he's been saying, but at time of signing if all three players reset the market Dak is likely at 25%, Lamb at 15%, and Parsons at 16%.
I think it has more to do with contract structure and up front money, if you prorate the bonus over all the years plus void years you lower the that amount per year.Then put most of the big yearly money in void years knowing that you'll likely renegotiate before those big money years.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts 13.5
AJ Brown 11.8
Jordan Mailata 11.6
Darius Slay 10.6
Dallas Goedert 9.1
DeVonta Smith 8.1

Not sure what your point is. That's 7 players vs three & none of those players other than Hurts are making 30+ million per year right? Plus some of those deals have been on the books for a couple years which can impact cap hits.

Hasn't people outside the organization also looked at the numbers & reached the same conclusion as Jerry about signing those three to top of the market contracts would do to the money available for other players?

birdwells1

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is. That's 7 players vs three & none of those players other than Hurts are making 30+ million per year right? Plus some of those deals have been on the books for a couple years which can impact cap hits.

Hasn't people outside the organization also looked at the numbers & reached the same conclusion as Jerry about signing those three to top of the market contracts would do to the money available for other players?
Those players are all top players in this league.Take Jalen Hurts contract for instance, he signed for 5 year 250 million APY 50 but only cost 6 mil against the cap in 2023 and will cost 13 mil in 2024. The only things fans should be concerned with is cap hits nothing else. If the Joneses signed these players they can spread out the cap hit amongst all the year plus void years but the issue is they don't want to pay the upfront cash. The Cowboys are ranked 30th in the NFL in cash spending since 2021. THE MOST VALUABLE FRANCHISE IN THE WORLD IS 30TH IN CASH SPENDING AND HAS THE LOWEST PAID HEAD COACH!!!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with contract structure and up front money, if you prorate the bonus over all the years plus void years you lower the that amount per year.Then put most of the big yearly money in void years knowing that you'll likely renegotiate before those big money years.
With how you lower the cap hits for early years you're absolutely correct, I'm just saying that Jerry isn't really lying here. He's inflating the numbers a little bit, but the metric that is being used by teams in evaluating contracts is AAV by % of cap in the year they signed. By that metric hes absolutely right that three guys will be taking up more than half the cap.

When talking about a Dak Prescott who is now on the wrong side of 30 years old and Parsons who has suggested he doesn't want to play past the age of 30 you have to factor in how much you want to backload these deals because renegotating may not be an option as you get to the expensive years....depending on how long they sign for I guess.