Jerry's coaching conundrum has the Cowboys cornered

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think talking about needing a new coach now and speculating on who that would be is pointless because I think the odds of the team is moving on from Garrett this year is minuscule. This topic should be revisited in a year.
I think that's actually partly the point of the OP.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Depends on whether you think this is a team building toward a ring or not and that seems to be the key to most posters.

What you write is fact and good enough for me because I am not SB or bust as far as calling a season a good one. But, turning a 3-5 team into a 1 playoff win team doesn't seem to impress most of the posters here and each season is marred by how far the team didn't get.

If they'd beaten LA but lost to NO in the NFC champs game, there would be almost as much negative and I flat don't get it. It's not like the Cowboys have been that relevant, except in the ratings, the last 20 years. The glory years are long gone and winning the East should carry more weight than it does, but it does not.
Spot on Coach!!

This franchise is no longer built with championships as the ultimate goal . Jerry sells that hope every year but obviously if it was the top priority he would changed his ways years ago.

ESisback

Reaction score
Parity really hasn't had much effect on the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks.....

Parity is for 25-26 teams. The others just win.

If you’re so unhappy, if we’re so doomed, if there’s nothing WE can do, what’s your solution? You can’t change others, only how you react to them.

I’ve been around long enough to see posters change. At one time, you were “King of the Eeyores”—always filled with doom and gloom. Then, you morphed into brightness, with funny, clever, well written posts. You were always an entertaining read, but in the past year I’ve noticed a change. Sorry bro, but you seem to be reverting. No disrespect meant, but what’s up?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who gives a rip about money? Great, we built Jerry a $250 million boat. Such a great success. The point is, making the playoffs used to happen every year year for long stretches of time.

Tom Brady has now played n more Super Bowls than any TEAM in NFL history. Here, Tom Landry once had 20 consecutive winning seasons.

Then Jerry fired Jimmy and decided to play fantasy football GM the rest of his life.
WE lol he had money before the Cowboys, he made even more with them,

MY point was if Fans are so phucking unhappy stop attending games, buying gear, and signing up for forums to ***** and complain , then when that all hits his pocket book, He will sell the team or make changes..Fans complain make jokes but fill stadiums and buy merchandise...

when Jerry bought the team this is what happened Fans weren't filling seats, buying merch, and there were some TV blackouts and ticket gave away at local grocery stores.. that doesnt happen anymore... blame jerry for buying team with 2 SB wins with the greatest coach on earth over 29yrs and turned around and won 3 in 5yrs but over 29 its not enough because he doesnt get the right coach? I mean Landry won 2 in 29yrs, Jerrys won 3 JIMMY right he hired him Jimmy would have left regardless, dont nothing without Jerry did he? Dolphins win a sb with Jimmy..

you want change stop filling stadiums and making the Cowboys the #1 sports franchise in the US top 3 in the world..

Hes here as fans we just have to suck it up but the Owner and GM and sometimes the coach we cant control, just root for players but the internet just has this non stop complaining yet they still are fans.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I didn't realize that winning the NFC East was the end goal. I could have swore it was reaching and winning the SB at some point. Silly me. Sign Garrett to a lifetime contract! Mediocrity rules! Regular season division champs isn't enough and that seems to be Garrett's coaching ceiling. It's time to move on.
Winning your division frequently is not mediocrity, but yes, the SB is the goal. It's just a difficult one that only 2/32 teams in the league actually accomplish each year.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Any HC considering the Cowboys must first consider the QB because that can be a coach killer. The Joneses intend on extending Prescott and if any HC thinks he could bench him, if he felt that was warranted, he'd better think again. He's joined at the hip with this QB.

So, a coach like Payton or McDaniels or Riley, do they take on Prescott as their QB or do they pick their own? Can they see Prescott executing their offense as they lay it out? If you've watched Brees, Brady, Mayfield or Murray, does Prescott resemble that to you?

Some feel Payton wants to leave when Brees hangs it up, based on what? Have y'all taken a really close look at these QB studs like Lawrence, Herbert and Tua coming up? Those 3 are already better than Prescott on his best day. Why would any highly regarded OC or offensive minded HC take the Cowboys job if they have to put a governor on their offense?

And do not take this as hatin' on Prescott, I just see him for what he has been, is and do not think he's going to get appreciably better so any HC is going to have to rely on not only surrounding him with better talent but most of all, keeping that talent on the field.
Garrett and LInehan won the division with Dak at QB 2 of his first 3 seasons, so I would certainly expect any new coach to do even better since everyone thinks our coaches stink. New coaching and more experience for DaK should mean better results, right?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Like most all of you, I've seen enough of this stale one-act play. Garrett did some important things here, but that was long ago, and it's definitely time for a new coach and approach.

But who? And how?

All of Jerry's GM sins are haunting him right now, and the Cowboys are a cloudy mess. What are the Cowboys wanting to be exactly? And who would really want to come here of any repute?

Some say he wants Sean Payton, and that makes enough sense with their history. But I just don't see how that would work.

Beyond just the contractual aspect of this, what has Payton ever done without Drew Brees? He got fired as the Giants' offensive coordinator. And just how is he going to institute his offense here with Dak Prescott? That offensive style just doesn't suit Dak's strengths and weaknesses.

Much of the same can be said for Josh McDaniels, or Lincoln Riley, or any other young passing guru coach out there. That's the flavor of the day, but just where is the fit for a coach like that in Dallas right now?

The eyes say this is a run-oriented, defensive football team, which is the opposite of what the Sean McVay crazed league is heading toward. That's perfectly fine, but it doesn't warrant the type of coach that everybody is clamoring for.

Rather than trying to incorporate things this offense isn't suited to do with Dak, wouldn't it be smarter to go after a more defensive-minded head coach in the traditional Parcells or Jimmy model?

That's what Jerry has hoped Garrett would become. Garrett takes that type of approach, but it's not amounting to anything beyond moderate regular season success. It works much of the time, but when a game gets sideways and the Cowboys have change up, most of the time they just can't.

A change of scheme is a good idea if you can do it. Maybe this team can make that change, and maybe it can't.

I think Jerry is afraid to take that leap of faith on a big-money new coach, and I think he's afraid to hear the truth from that new coach when he gets here. Money owed means power, and Jerry doesn't like handing that over to anyone. So he does nothing. Again.

Jerry, Garrett, and Dak are forever intertwined. They will win or go down together.

If Jerry capitulates and brings in a new guy, it won't be his idea. He hates that. It means WE were right, and even in grand victory, it will be a bitter pill. His way didn't work. Ours did.

That's like Jimmy Johnson all over again, and it would gnaw him to his core.
Just because you say Jerry and Garrett suck doesn’t make it true.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm guessing that most GM's wouldn't throw in the towel. Some of our fans I'm sure would.
With a rookie QB, we nearly beat GB in the playoffs after winning the division.
Elliott's suspension hindered two in a row.
Prescott's 3rd season we win the division again, improve the defense and won a playoff game. After many changes and starting 3-5.

That's not bad.

nobody

Reaction score
Winning your division frequently is not mediocrity, but yes, the SB is the goal. It's just a difficult one that only 2/32 teams in the league actually accomplish each year.

Failing to win playoff games IS mediocrity. Why do they always collapse in the division round or earlier under Garrett? Hint: it's not because he's a good coach. Regular season champs.. awesome!

JustChip

Reaction score
We finished in the top 8 teams in the NFL this year. We have won the NFC East 3 out of the last 5 years.

We also have the 2nd youngest team in the NFL right now.

Lets stop beginning every story with how much of a mess our organization is just to give our threads more relevance.

We are not really in that bad of shape.

Exactly. There is no doubt that this franchise has underperformed for the better part of 2 decades. And the reason is very clear.

But to use an investing analogy, it doesn't matter what you paid for a stock when you bought it - it matters what the outlook is for that stock going forward from the present time. For just the reasons you identify, this outlook for this team is very positive. The difficulty is distancing one's view from the memory of the past.

ESisback

Reaction score
Garrett and LInehan won the division with Dak at QB 2 of his first 3 seasons, so I would certainly expect any new coach to do even better since everyone thinks our coaches stink. New coaching and more experience for DaK should mean better results, right?

In America today...if you win by one point on the last play, you’re AWESOME, THE BEST, A LEGEND, ICONIC HOFer, etc. If you lose by one point on the last play, YOU SUCK, YOU DON’T DESERVE TO LIVE, YOU’RE THE WORST, etc.

overreact.com

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If Jerry capitulates and brings in a new guy, it won't be his idea. He hates that. It means WE were right, and even in grand victory, it will be a bitter pill. His way didn't work. Ours did.

That's it in a nutshell, and I've said the same thing before. Jerry desperately wants to prove that it was at least mostly, or at least half, his work that led to the 3 SB wins. Any good coach from somewhere other than Jerry's influence would obviously get a lot of or most of the credit if it turns around after he gets here, 23 years with no SB and then in a short time the new coach's team gets one? Most would say or think "see Jerry, it wasn't you, or you'd have gotten a SB with Garrett or Parcells or Campo.

And Garrett was hand picked by Jerry, Garrett's failure is therefore Jerry's failure.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Jerry kept Garrett as the coach until Jerry dies...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry looks at this season as a success especially when you consider the horrendous start.

The move at OC was a forgone conclusion early on as Linehan is the scapegoat for Dak much like Dez was last year.

Relevance and a renewed hope is all Jerry needs to sell and promote his product. And we’re just competitive enough to continue our course with Garrett so Jerry can receive the credit he’s been pursuing since Jimmy left.

The only occurrences which could change Jerry’s course is a total collapse( and it might take more than 1 season) or empty seats and a downturn in revenue.

For some reason there continues to be fans that either don’t understand or accept Jerry selfish passions to pursue the credit he didn’t receive with Jimmy. That’s the driving force.

Jerry has the power to pull the trigger at any time and abort his foolishness if he chooses but my money says he thinks he close as he’s been this era in finally meeting his objective.

Remember it’s not about what we think or want. Dallas Cowboys football is all about Jerry.

dckid

Reaction score
Like most all of you, I've seen enough of this stale one-act play. Garrett did some important things here, but that was long ago, and it's definitely time for a new coach and approach.

But who? And how?

All of Jerry's GM sins are haunting him right now, and the Cowboys are a cloudy mess. What are the Cowboys wanting to be exactly? And who would really want to come here of any repute?

Some say he wants Sean Payton, and that makes enough sense with their history. But I just don't see how that would work.

Beyond just the contractual aspect of this, what has Payton ever done without Drew Brees? He got fired as the Giants' offensive coordinator. And just how is he going to institute his offense here with Dak Prescott? That offensive style just doesn't suit Dak's strengths and weaknesses.

Much of the same can be said for Josh McDaniels, or Lincoln Riley, or any other young passing guru coach out there. That's the flavor of the day, but just where is the fit for a coach like that in Dallas right now?

The eyes say this is a run-oriented, defensive football team, which is the opposite of what the Sean McVay crazed league is heading toward. That's perfectly fine, but it doesn't warrant the type of coach that everybody is clamoring for.

Rather than trying to incorporate things this offense isn't suited to do with Dak, wouldn't it be smarter to go after a more defensive-minded head coach in the traditional Parcells or Jimmy model?

That's what Jerry has hoped Garrett would become. Garrett takes that type of approach, but it's not amounting to anything beyond moderate regular season success. It works much of the time, but when a game gets sideways and the Cowboys have change up, most of the time they just can't.

A change of scheme is a good idea if you can do it. Maybe this team can make that change, and maybe it can't.

I think Jerry is afraid to take that leap of faith on a big-money new coach, and I think he's afraid to hear the truth from that new coach when he gets here. Money owed means power, and Jerry doesn't like handing that over to anyone. So he does nothing. Again.

Jerry, Garrett, and Dak are forever intertwined. They will win or go down together.

I actually can't believe Jerry would still have an ego the size of Jerry World! If he cares about winning, Jason & company have to go. Nothing over the past 9 years has shown me that he knows how to win. He could not win with Romo slinging the ball around, or a more run based approach with Murray & company, Dak & Zeke in 2016, slightly better overall team in 2018. Throw in the season ending defeats to the Giants a couple of times and Skins where the winner goes to the playoffs and loser goes home.

I dont know why Josh McDaniels would not be a great fit? No one thought McVay was ready, no even considered Frank Reich as a viable candidate until the Colts settled for him.
I also don't see why Kris Richard is not a viable candidate? If we get a defensive minded coach, i would want them to really go out and get a dynamic offensive coordinator. The trend nowdays is to go after offensive guru's who are deeply involved with the offense and actually are in charge of playcalling.

ESisback

Reaction score
I'm guessing that most GM's wouldn't throw in the towel. Some of our fans I'm sure would.
With a rookie QB, we nearly beat GB in the playoffs after winning the division.
Elliott's suspension hindered two in a row.
Prescott's 3rd season we win the division again, improve the defense and won a playoff game. After many changes and starting 3-5.

That's not bad.

Quit wallowing in mediocrity! Get serious!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
For just the reasons you identify, this outlook for this team is very positive. The difficulty is distancing one's view from the memory of the past.

Unfortunately, we've had positive outlooks before, and had our hopes dashed, for 23 years.

After so long I don't really have a positive outlook for this team, it's more just hoping against hope that somehow, anyhow, any way that we can get back to being at least somewhat like the team I followed from 1968 to 1995...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell, and I've said the same thing before. Jerry desperately wants to prove that it was at least mostly, or at least half, his work that led to the 3 SB wins. Any good coach from somewhere other than Jerry's influence would obviously get a lot of or most of the credit if it turns around after he gets here, 23 years with no SB and then in a short time the new coach's team gets one? Most would say or think "see Jerry, it wasn't you, or you'd have gotten a SB with Garrett or Parcells or Campo.

And Garrett was hand picked by Jerry, Garrett's failure is therefore Jerry's failure.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Jerry kept Garrett as the coach until Jerry dies...
Yep, barring of course a total collapse or decrease in revenue.