Jersey Number

Bluefin

Reaction score
The Cowboys better never ever let 22, 12 or 74 be used by anyone again.

I've read that #8 is part of this group as well.

On a side note, I remember reading a good while back that Troy Aikman was given the option to wear #12 and declined. I don't know if it's true or not.

Brad Sham hated on giving him 22 when asked by Helman. Said you don't do that when talking about the nfl leading rusher.

No defense is needed for having such a viewpoint.

There were some who felt the same when Dez Bryant donned #88.

I wonder if they are still cross?

I don't want to give historic numbers to just anyone, I was irate when Jackie Harris wore #88, but I don't mind allowing projected special players the chance to carry on the tradition.

And I think the former players should be asked for their feelings on the matter beforehand, which doesn't seem to happen as things currently stand.

It's bizarre.

Some numbers are vehemently protected and others are dished out to anyone (#33 and #55 in particular).

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
44...and let him be twice as good as Emmitt.......That would be something........and also impossible.........

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've read that #8 is part of this group as well.

On a side note, I remember reading a good while back that Troy Aikman was given the option to wear #12 and declined. I don't know if it's true or not.

No defense is needed for having such a viewpoint.

There were some who felt the same when Dez Bryant donned #88.

I wonder if they are still cross?

I don't want to give historic numbers to just anyone, I was irate when Jackie Harris wore #88, but I don't mind allowing projected special players the chance to carry on the tradition.

And I think the former players should be asked for their feelings on the matter beforehand, which doesn't seem to happen as things currently stand.

It's bizarre.

Some numbers are vehemently protected and others are dished out to anyone (#33 and #55 in particular).

Doubt it's true. Mike McCoy was the equipment manager , and was responsible for giving out numbers. And since they do not retire numbers. He never ever considered giving out 12 or 74. Now 8 and 22 is probably on that list.
Not sure why 33 and 88 was not. But I think they gave out those before anyone thought other wise, so still do.
I was thinking there was another number with 12 and 84, too, but not sure.