Twitter: Jesse Holley: Players are upset about Tavon Austin situation

Sydla

Reaction score
If that is the way it played out (the ST Coach said FC but meant "FC unless you have a ton of room") it would also explain Garrett giving a word salad answer about it until he had talked to everyone to find out what the real story is. I think this is one of those stories the beat writers will avoid for a while and a week from now you will see a story about what really happened and how the team worked it out.

Maybe the HC should actually find out what happened before he goes in front of the media and "word salads" an answer that still makes the player look like the problem.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not actually what Holly said here though.
It say that O'Quinn told him to fair catch, not Garrett.

When the Head Coach tells the media it was the player's fault, the players consider that selling out the player regardless of who was at fault (Quinn, Garrett or Austin).

Most HC's would just say there was a communication issue that they need to correct for the future.

CapnB

Reaction score
well it would certainly be karma if they quit on Garrett since he got the job because of players quitting on Phillips.

If you're hoping they are going to quit on JG i think you're going to be waiting a while. These players love that coach and will run through a wall for him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the Head Coach tells the media it was the player's fault, the players consider that selling out the player regardless of who was at fault (Quinn, Garrett or Austin).

Most HC's would just say there was a communication issue that they need to correct for the future.

He’s saying that the HC didn’t know at the time he talked to the media that the issue was with the ST coach and wasn’t the player’s decision.

MikeB80

Reaction score
McBriar and Jones are decent, Bailey was awesome, Crayton, Newman, Harris were very very average return men and when you say you haven't missed a game meaning how long, just wondering.

I believe I have watched every game either live in the stadium(s) or on tv, then the ones i missed on tape going back to 1983.

87 and 88 were sketchy because not all games were on tv but other than that pretty much every sunday.

Harris was above average here. He consistently swung field position for us.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Im guessing Garrett thinks were all dumb and dont realize that special teams call can only be made between the HC and STs coach coming together to agree that its been to save time

NO MATTER WHAT

lol im done with Garrett go coach the Browns next year

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Sorry blaming the ST coach is ridiculous. The HC needs to be aware of these things. This is his call to make. After 10 years they're still having "communication" issues. Somethings wrong. really wrong. But blaming O'Quinn is a load of crap.

Exactly...I would have expected the HC and ST coach to have discussed how they want to approach the punt...and then explicitly communicate that approach to the returner. The HC does not, in any circumstance get an out here. I mean that is the main reason he is wearing that big A headphone...to talk to his coaches (which honestly, it seems he never does... At least when the camera is on him).

CoachD

Reaction score
special teams, in many ways, are an indication of the strength of a team's backups. and as you know, coach, we haven't had a lot of good backups.

Remember the draft of 09? That was supposed to be the special teams draft remember? Funny thing about it was none of them ever panned out with the exception of Butler maybe and that's a big maybe? How about Jason Williams the Cowboys first pick that year in the second round, did he ever see the field? What about that bum Buehler, he was only on the roster because he could kick it in the end zone. The Cowboys wasted a roster spot for two kickers!

CoachD

Reaction score
Funny thing about the Austin situation and the two runs to Zeke on 2nd and 3rd down is that's not the end of the disasters in Dallas more is yet to come down the stretch watch!

Sydla

Reaction score

Bingo.

And more importantly, Garrett should probably have gotten the stories straight before he went in front of the media. Instead, he goes in front of the press and lays out a scenario that makes the player look like the problem.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Its pretty simple. Given the situation, either you go for the block or the return. Once that decision was made (& I have no problem opting for the return), the entire team should be focused on "RETURNING" the ball not fair catching it. Anyone not being on the same page is unacceptable.

CoachD

Reaction score
I believe I have watched every game either live in the stadium(s) or on tv, then the ones i missed on tape going back to 1983.

87 and 88 were sketchy because not all games were on tv but other than that pretty much every sunday.

Harris was above average here. He consistently swung field position for us.

Yup you're qualified I was just checking, thought I was dealing with some fantasy football fanboy! And I agree, not all the games were on TV like today. They weren't even on all the time when they were dominating the 90's like they are today. Nice to see and old schooler around like myself and a few others I know in here.

Sydla

Reaction score
He’s saying that the HC didn’t know at the time he talked to the media that the issue was with the ST coach and wasn’t the player’s decision.

Everyone knew there was an issue minutes after the game. It was tweeted, discussed in media, etc. Why did Austin fair catch that ball? Austin said right after the game that he was told to do it.

In what world then should the HC go out the NEXT DAY and paint a picture that makes it look like the player screwed up? Why not have that issue hashed out before you step in front of the media and give the answer you gave?

But that's precisely what Garrett did. He stood in front of the media and basically laid out an answer that put the responsibility on the player.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He’s saying that the HC didn’t know at the time
If only there was a way for the HC to communicate with the other coaches before, during, and after critical decisions during the game?
image.jpg

MikeB80

Reaction score
Yup you're qualified I was just checking, thought I was dealing with some fantasy football fanboy! And I agree, not all the games were on TV like today. They weren't even on all the time when they were dominating the 90's like they are today. Nice to see and old schooler around like myself and a few others I know in here.

Never played fantasy football in my life and I don't gamble.

although I am wishing I did. I wonder how much money could have been won had I or anyone else just bet 100 dollars every week on new england from the time Tom Brady took over!

Beaker42

Reaction score
looks like the house of cards may be falling down
Cards? Try freaking clowns. I’ll come here to interact with y’all but I will not be watching any more games until the Jones boys get off their azzes and do what needs to be done. They look like total tools right now and aren’t smart enough to see it.

Sydla

Reaction score
If only there was a way for the HC to communicate with the other coaches before, during, and after critical decisions during the game?
image.jpg

LOL.

Only in Dallas does the HC apparently not know what's going on with his team and his assistants.

Even better, only in Dallas does a day later the HC still not know what's going on with his team and his assistants.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Preparation is key and I think it’s pretty clear that the Cowboys are never prepared under Jason Garrett.
It's a process. Preparation doesn't come until Year 10. Do you want to overwhelm our fantastically talent players?? Have some patience, for God's sake!

Bigdog

Reaction score
It looks like Garrett in that picture is in disbelief that he fair catch it with his hands on his knees.