Twitter: Jesse Holley: Players are upset about Tavon Austin situation

Kaiser

Reaction score
. They love to ignore the important parts, right?

For Marty B that is basically a love letter. So back up your point, who are all the former players ripping Garrett? He has been here ten years and there have probably been 300 players who played under him. Lets see the list of players who have called out Garrett.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Austin should’ve seen the play developing and said to himself “I’m going to make a play”.

If your boss tells you not to do something, do you go ahead and do it anyway?

John813

Reaction score
Romo seems to throw shade at Garrett when he's an announcer for our games.

Carson

Reaction score
This seems like a strange argument. If Austin returns the punt and fumbles, he gets the blame. If the point is that he shouldn't have returned the punt because he might fumble, then the coaches are scared to play football. You either trust your return man to do his job or replace him with someone who can.

To piggy back this, you let Austin return it.

Why? Because he can pick up yards. How many successful 50+ Hail Marys have worked in the last few seasons?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Why is it that Garrett's coaching tenure riddled with these types of drama? I thought he ran a tight shift where every player is an RKG and that their coaching staff follows the process.

I just think there are many cracks to Garrett's philosophy and that his leadership style is losing touch with the players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if Garrett says it was a communication issue the blame goes back to him. He should ultimately decide the strategy there. So if the special teams coordinator makes that call without telling him, there's a huge problem. A head coach should allow his assistants to call the plays, etc. But they should be the decision maker in key moments like that. It's just another way Garrett refuses to take responsibility for anything.
Agree.

Either way, Garrett should NOT imply that it was Austin's fault.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Keith O'Quinn has been with the franchise in some capacity for about the last decade. Yet another coach they are comfortable keeping around even though he sucks at his job. This staff is full of them.

The guy is easily the worst STs coach in the league.

And you're right, this organization loves reshuffling the deck to give the appearance of major change within ranks. It's pitiful and largely ineffective.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Austin should’ve seen the play developing and said to himself “I’m going to make a play”.

He should have and I think that is where all the confusion is coming from.

When Austin hit the field I believe he was given mixed signals, he was told to fair catch it from the sideline.

I think the coaches probably thought he understood that you fair catch it unless you see an opportunity, the problem with that is this has clearly not been practiced or discussed. Austin was confused and you could see him on the field before the punt staring at the sideline motioning for a fair catch which clearly shows he was told late while he was on the field to Fair Catch.

I don't blame Austin I believe he was given clear directions to fair catch and this after the fact speak about the variations on when to do that is just the inability of the head coach to say we were unprepared and made a mistake. This whole scenario should have been gone through while the defense was on the field, every variable. Not when austin is out on the field seconds before the punt. He look confused by being told to fair catch.

This shows me that Austin respected what the coaches told him to do and they failed him then they back the bus over him.

I can't remember which game it was but there was a game in the 16 or 17 season, maybe vs the giants or oakland? I can't remember exactly but Dallas had the option at the end of the half to call a fair catch and it would have given them the ability to try a long field goal even with time having run out. I think it was like 60 plus yards and bailey had no chance but Still. If I remember correctly Tony Dungy talked about it either at the half or in the postgame and it was a sunday night game....I think the opinion after that game was that the coaching staff did not know the rule.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
The guy is easily the worst STs coach in the league.

And you're right, this organization loves reshuffling the deck to give the appearance of major change within ranks. It's pitiful and largely ineffective.

So let me get this straight-
We need to fire the ST Coach, Garrett, Rod, and Richard? That's a lot of empty coaching positions.
It honestly may be good for a new HC to come in as he can bring in guys he likes to fill in these positions.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
To piggy back this, you let Austin return it.

Why? Because he can pick up yards. How many successful 50+ Hail Marys have worked in the last few seasons?

And the thing is that the clock was going to stop anyway. With the offense on the field, the only way to stop the clock was to get out of bounds. Austin could have returned it, got knocked down immediately and the clock would still have stopped for change of possession.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hey Tavon, might not want to buy any green bananas. Players in the past who saw through Garrett got their heads cut off pretty quickly.

I can just see Garrett getting Jerry in a private meeting and convincing him that these guys are bad apples and need to go. Wonder if Jerry will eventually see through it.

And that brings up a point: Everyone thinks Garrett is purely a Jerry puppet, and in some ways he definitely is. But Jerry is pretty football stupid. I believe there have been many times in the last decade where Garrett has talked Jerry into doing things to protect his own skin, and Jerry has bought it because 1) he loves and and trusts Jason, and 2) he's too football stupid to know better.

IOW, Jerry isn't the only con man on this team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But didn't everyone here blame Garrett for those answers also.

If he just said "it was a communication error" everyone here would be blaming him for not holding anyone accountable.

Garrett needs to do what it correct within the team/locker-room, not what it politically correct for fans.

Jimmy would have just angrily said to the media "It won't happen again".

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
So let me get this straight-
We need to fire the ST Coach, Garrett, Rod, and Richard? That's a lot of empty coaching positions.
It honestly may be good for a new HC to come in as he can bring in guys he likes to fill in these positions.

Clean house baby!!!!

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He should have and I think that is where all the confusion is coming from.

When Austin hit the field I believe he was given mixed signals, he was told to fair catch it from the sideline.

I think the coaches probably thought he understood that you fair catch it unless you see an opportunity, the problem with that is this has clearly not been practiced or discussed. Austin was confused and you could see him on the field before the punt staring at the sideline motioning for a fair catch which clearly shows he was told late while he was on the field to Fair Catch.

I don't blame Austin I believe he was given clear directions to fair catch and this after the fact speak about the variations on when to do that is just the inability of the head coach to say we were unprepared and made a mistake. This whole scenario should have been gone through while the defense was on the field, every variable. Not when austin is out on the field seconds before the punt. He look confused by being told to fair catch.

This shows me that Austin respected what the coaches told him to do and they failed him then they back the bus over him.

I can't remember which game it was but there was a game in the 16 or 17 season, maybe vs the giants or oakland? I can't remember exactly but Dallas had the option at the end of the half to call a fair catch and it would have given them the ability to try a long field goal even with time having run out. I think it was like 60 plus yards and bailey had no chance but Still. If I remember correctly Tony Dungy talked about it either at the half or in the postgame and it was a sunday night game....I think the opinion after that game was that the coaching staff did not know the rule.

Exactly. Had he ran the ball, the sideline would have went crazy and Garrett still would have thrown him down under. "He didn't listen to my instructions". It was a lose lose for Austin either way. There is no winning under Garrett.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Sorry, but thats BS. You are still finding a way to blame JG on this. When this was clearly on the ST coach and then he lied about it on top of it all. This is the type of thing that will turn players against coaches in a heart beat.

Sorry but JG knows what is going on. He has a headset. If he doesn't know, it's worse. ST guy can call it but he has to know the situation as a HC and he also threw him under the bus.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I looked it up and Dungy was pointing out that Dallas gave up the opportunity for a free kick with an untimed down before the half vs GB in the Divisional Playoffs in 2016.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm no JG fan but have a hard time faulting him on this one. Even if Austin had a good return I have little doubt there would have been a flag screwing up field position even worse. Our special teams kick returning sucks.
Special teams in general is embarrassing.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
There is no way a solid coach lets this happen. This is the type of play that kept Bill Parcells awake at night. If this happens on his team, you know he is in that headset telling everyone exactly what situation they are in and what he wants to happen. Jason has no attention to the details of a game.

Further, as others said, you either try to block or you plan for a return. You can FC with a block on. Also, when they are calling a FC they normally have Cobb in. Austin is the return guy. Nothing makes any bit of sense.