Twitter: Jesse Holley: Players are upset about Tavon Austin situation

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Calling for a fair catch when time is short is a valid decision - if you have a Brady or such at quarterback, with a long history of being able to get touchdowns in the two minute drill. Dak has neither the experience or history of doing so. And you should be able to rely on your returner to not make a bone headed decision such as trying to run up and catch a wobbly punt with defenders bearing down on you, but also to be able to see the coverage and know if there's a real chance to make a long return.

Sad thing is if this was the game-losing mistake, it's similar to Garrett's icing his own kicker - it won't happen again.

But as a Saturday Night Live character said (if memory serves) "It's always something". Next time it will be calling for a pass when Zeke is running wild, or going to block a kick with 10 seconds left and the other team flips a pass to somebody and it's a fake punt for a touchdown, or such.

Of course coaches make mistakes, none bigger than Carroll calling a pass in the SB with Beastmode available, for example.

Problem is Garrett seems to have an endless supply of mistakes to call...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Sorry but JG knows what is going on. He has a headset. If he doesn't know, it's worse. ST guy can call it but he has to know the situation as a HC and he also threw him under the bus.
Especially considering JG has been a walk-around HC for years. This is exactly the situation where having a coach who doesn't have to worry about calling plays on offense or defense should benefit you. JG should have been discussing this with the ST coach while the Vikings were still running offensive plays.

Zordon

Reaction score
Hey Tavon, might not want to buy any green bananas. Players in the past who saw through Garrett got their heads cut off pretty quickly.

I can just see Garrett getting Jerry in a private meeting and convincing him that these guys are bad apples and need to go. Wonder if Jerry will eventually see through it.

And that brings up a point: Everyone thinks Garrett is purely a Jerry puppet, and in some ways he definitely is. But Jerry is pretty football stupid. I believe there have been many times in the last decade where Garrett has talked Jerry into doing things to protect his own skin, and Jerry has bought it because 1) he loves and and trusts Jason, and 2) he's too football stupid to know better.

IOW, Jerry isn't the only con man on this team.
You have to wonder where is Stephen in the scenario you just described. Stephen is 55 years old. When is he going to take the training wheels off and shield his dad (senile) from doubling down on this experiment? I mean isn't that what kids are supposed to do for their parents once they reach the end of the road. It would be nice if Stephen grew a pair.

MikeB80

Reaction score
There is no way a solid coach lets this happen. This is the type of play that kept Bill Parcells awake at night. If this happens on his team, you know he is in that headset telling everyone exactly what situation they are in and what he wants to happen. Jason has no attention to the details of a game.

Further, as others said, you either try to block or you plan for a return. You can FC with a block on. Also, when they are calling a FC they normally have Cobb in. Austin is the return guy. Nothing makes any bit of sense.

Excellent point about Cobb. This is absolutely true.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If only there was a way for the HC to communicate with the other coaches before, during, and after critical decisions during the game?
image.jpg

The tweet suggested the ST misrepresented to the HC what he told Austin. I have no idea whether or not that’s true, but that’s what Holly suggested.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You have to wonder where is Stephen in the scenario you just described. Stephen is 55 years old. When is he going to take the training wheels off and shield his dad (senile) from doubling down on this experiment? I mean isn't that what kids are supposed to do for their parents once they reach the end of the road. It would be nice if Stephen grew a pair.
I suspect they have caught on a little and that's why Jason has had his power systematically reduced the last few years. I think it happened a ton Jason's first few years as HC. Hell, we know it happened while Jason was still OC.

As far as Stephen's influence goes, Jerry might listen to him more, but it's still Jerry's team. Jerry only has to listen when he wants to.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone knew there was an issue minutes after the game. It was tweeted, discussed in media, etc. Why did Austin fair catch that ball? Austin said right after the game that he was told to do it.

In what world then should the HC go out the NEXT DAY and paint a picture that makes it look like the player screwed up? Why not have that issue hashed out before you step in front of the media and give the answer you gave?

But that's precisely what Garrett did. He stood in front of the media and basically laid out an answer that put the responsibility on the player.

Which is probably what he thought at the time. None of us knows what the chain of events was. But Holly was saying here that Garrett was lied to and that the players aren’t happy about Tavon taking the fall. Not exactly out of the realm of possibility.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
[QUOTE="MikeB80, post: 9676732, member: 41087"]I won't be surprised to see austin inactive this week and wilson active because that is how things happen around here.

also I just looked at the all 22 and one of the coaches, an african american man which I can not tell who exactly it is because the all 22 is grainy immediately is upset and puts his hands on his head when the ball is in the air and austin calls for the fair catch.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the joke (and I paraphrase): Uh oh, the NCAA is really mad at USC. It just punished East Carolina University. :laugh:

Kaiser

Reaction score
There is no winning under Garrett.

Except for the two games before this, where we beat Division teams by a total of 46 points. I think that is winning, but your mileage may vary.

InTheZone

Reaction score
run up and cut left, get at least 10 yards with minimal time wasted. That gives you 2 chances to the endzone instead of 1 in the final seconds. Or take a shot midway down the sideline and make the final pass a little easier if it's converted.

This is what happens when you play scared or conservative enough to lose every meaningful game, meaning JG and the special teams coach screwed up bad.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Stupid Tavon. I hope we cut him. We never use him anyway. Complete waste of 1.75 million bucks.

JayFord

Reaction score
Quite frankly the last thing i would do is listen to is what the coaches say

run your own plays and do what you want

probably have more success

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Ex Cowboys WR Holley implying that Garrett sold out Austin.

Ex Cowboys WR Crayton has tweeted that Garrett "again" deferring blame onto players...
Are you actually reading anything? He said “not told to fair catch” by Garrett, but by the Sp Teams coach who then told Garrett wrong thing.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
lol just say we fk'd up and move on.
Exactly! This is the whole damn problem! If Garrett had just come out and said right off the bat that it was on the coaches, which it 100% is, this would be a non factor. Throwing players under the bus has never in the history of the NFL or any other sport, resulted in a positive result for a coach. It is the quickest way to get the team to turn on you. Watch what happens, I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you actually reading anything? He said “not told to fair catch” by Garrett, but by the Sp Teams coach who then told Garrett wrong thing.

Yes, I know exactly what the tweet said.

Holley is blaming O'Quinn for not telling the truth.

Holley is blaming Garrett for calling out Tavon to the media regardless of what O'Quinn told Garrett.

The Confusion Came From Keith O’Quinn Not Truthful Telling Coach Garett What He Communicated To Tavon. I’m Told Tavon Was {angry} Because Things Aren’t Being Told To The Media Inaccurately. As Well As Other Players In The Locker-room Are Upset Because Tavon Is Being Sold Out!!!

Holley's grammar is not great. He obviously meant "Aren't being told Accurately" or "Are being told Inaccurately". Obviously he misspelled Garrett.