Jesus died of blood clot, Israeli researcher says

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Jesus died of blood clot, Israeli researcher says

Expert: Crucifixion caused pulmonary embolism, not fatal blood loss

JERUSALEM - An Israeli researcher has challenged the popular belief that Jesus died of blood loss on the cross, saying he probably succumbed to a sometimes fatal disorder now associated with long-haul air travel.

Professor Benjamin Brenner wrote in The Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis that Jesus’ death, traditionally believed to have occurred 3 to 6 hours after crucifixion began, was probably caused by a blood clot that reached his lungs.

Such pulmonary embolisms, leading to sudden death, can stem from immobilization, multiple trauma and dehydration, said Brenner, a researcher at Rambam Medical Center in Haifa.

“This fits well with Jesus’ condition and actually was in all likelihood the major cause of death by crucifixion,” he wrote in the article, based on religious and medical texts.

A 1986 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association mentioned the possibility that Jesus suffered a blood clot but concluded that he died of blood loss.

But Brenner said research into blood coagulation had made significant strides over the past two decades.

He said recent medical research has linked immobility among passengers on lengthy air flights to deep vein thrombosis, popularly known as “economy-class syndrome” in which potentially fatal blood clots can develop, usually in the lower legs.

Brenner noted that before crucifixion, Jesus underwent scourging, but the researcher concluded that “the amount of blood loss by itself” would not have killed him.

He said that Jesus, as a Jew from what is now northern Israel, may have been particular at risk to a fatal blood clot.

Thrombophilia, a rare condition in which blood has an increased tendency to clot, is common to natives of the Galilee, the researcher wrote.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8139434/

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Maybe they should exhume the body and do an autopsy...

Oh wait... it's not there... ;)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:

~snicker~ :D

~snickering harder~:laugh2:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
trickblue said:

EXACTLY, ... makes me want to burst into song !

He LIVES, He LIVES !
Christ Jesus lives today,
He walks with me, He talks with me, along life's narrow way !

He LIVES, He LIVES !
Salvation to impart,
You ask me how I know He lives,
He lives within my heart !

:bow: :bow:

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !
He's ALIVE and I'm forgiven,
Heavens gates are open wide !

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !

:bravo:

joseephuss

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

He LIVES, He LIVES !

He LIVES, He LIVES !
Salvation to impart,

:bow: :bow:

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !

:bravo:

Wow, you have a wonderful singing voice.

I was watching on a show on the History channel last weekend discussing the same topic. They had a guy hanging on a cross and using thermal imaging to see where the body was undergoing stress. The part I was watching was focusing on if suffication caused Jesus' death. Would spending a long time suspended cause the lungs to fatigue and stop moving enough oxygen through the body? They ruled it out.

They mentioned that there have been minor studies years ago on bodies that were crucified.

They then began looking at the effects of the spikes through the feet. There is a major nerve going through the ankle and foot. They felt that Jesus' feet may have been nailed through the side rather than the front of the cross. Jesus may have died because of the pain and shock of the nervous system due to the spikes. I had to leave, so Idon't know what conclusions this show came up with. I now wonder if it was related to this study. It was interesting stuff.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

He LIVES, He LIVES !

He LIVES, He LIVES !
Salvation to impart,

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !

PUUUUKE!!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
PUUUUKE!!

Real nice. :mad:
However it's worth repeating....

He LIVES, He LIVES !

He LIVES, He LIVES !
Salvation to impart,

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !

He's ALIVE, He's ALIVE !

Couldn't have said it better myself WV!

Hoov

Reaction score
The Hymns are a little much for me, your bringing back some bad memories...waking up at 6 am to my mother singing hymns throughout the upstairs with that sing song cheery voice and apple pie in the sky smile while im pulling the covers over my groggy head.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoov said:
The Hymns are a little much for me, your bringing back some bad memories...waking up at 6 am to my mother singing hymns throughout the upstairs with that sing song cheery voice and apple pie in the sky smile while im pulling the covers over my groggy head.

Yeah, with having an attitude like that in your house, I can understand how that could bring back bad memories. :rolleyes:

J/K :D

Hoov

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Yeah, with having an attitude like that in your house, I can understand how that could bring back bad memories. :rolleyes:

J/K :D

It was constant, and no one wants to hear someone else joyously trying to wake the whole house at the top of their lungs when they are determined not to get up yet. dont get me wrong, my parents are great.....but the hymns and church music was way overdone at our house when i was growing up.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoov said:
It was constant, and no one wants to hear someone else joyously trying to wake the whole house at the top of their lungs when they are determined not to get up yet. dont get me wrong, my parents are great.....but the hymns and church music was way overdone at our house when i was growing up.

That's like watching too much Cowboys stuff. Can't happen. :muttley:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
The former.
Why does someone else talking about it make you .. "PUUUUKE!!"

I'm guessing you don't believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny.

Does it make you want to puke to hear about them as well ?

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Why does someone else talking about it make you .. "PUUUUKE!!"

I'm guessing you don't believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny.

Does it make you want to puke to hear about them as well ?

It was the song that made me puke. I have no problem with x-tians.

Post the lyrics to Cindy Lauper's "Girls just wanna have fun"....you'll get a similar reaction.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
Post the lyrics to Cindy Lauper's "Girls just wanna have fun"....you'll get a similar reaction.

That one gets me too!

lauper_cover-02.gif

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
trickblue said:
That one gets me too!

lauper_cover-02.gif

Trivia for the day...Who played Cyndi's father in the video for "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"?