Jets vs Atlanta (London Game)

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I’m definitely not sure on Mayfield but he has been better than what they’ve had in recent years. He’s certainly nothing great. It’s going to be interesting to see how much they’re willing to pay him when he’s due for an extension.

. Yeah. Mayfield is eligible for an extension right now. Teams seem to think $40M/year for QBs these days. We'll see what he gets. Same with Ravens' Jackson.

Tough call for the Browns. Pay him $40M per year or trade him. I would go with trading him if I could get a top QB in the draft this year. Just a hunch on my part.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Pitts first NFL TD side by side with Rob Gronkowski’s first NFL TD

Pitts is the next Gronk = confirmed

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
. Yeah. Mayfield is eligible for an extension right now. Teams seem to think $40M/year for QBs these days. We'll see what he gets. Same with Ravens' Jackson.

Tough call for the Browns. Pay him $40M per year or trade him. I would go with trading him if I could get a top QB in the draft this year. Just a hunch on my part.

With as much trouble as the Browns have had trying to find a QB the past two decades they’re almost sure to pay him. It’s really not that tough a call, he’s played pretty well and it’s very difficult finding a top-flight QB these days regardless how high you pick in the draft. No way do the Browns want to go back to playing musical chairs at QB again and wasting high draft pick after high draft pick trying to find a QB. I’m sure they’re wishing they would’ve drafted Josh Allen but drafting a QB is a crapshoot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

One other point I’ll make about Mayfield the Browns have been a good team with him at QB. They were the worst team in the league when they drafted him 4 years ago and now they’re a Super Bowl contender. The fact he’s the only QB they’ve had who they’ve consistently won with the past two decades makes it even more likely they’ll pay him.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
One other point I’ll make about Mayfield the Browns have been a good team with him at QB. They were the worst team in the league when they drafted him 4 years ago and now they’re a Super Bowl contender. The fact he’s the only QB they’ve had who they’ve consistently won with the past two decades makes it even more likely they’ll pay him.

I'd trade him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd trade him.

Who would be your QB? The Browns were 11-5 last season and are 3-1 this year. Even though Mayfield isn’t great they’ve become a relevant team under him. If he continues to give the Browns a chance I can assure you they’ll pay him. No way are they going to put themselves in the same boat they were in the past 2 decades trying to find a QB. None of the highly drafted QBs taken this past April that have had significant playing time have looked very good except for Mac Jones.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Who would be your QB? The Browns were 11-5 last season and are 3-1 this year. Even though Mayfield isn’t great they’ve become a relevant team under him. If he continues to give the Browns a chance I can assure you they’ll pay him. No way are they going to put themselves in the same boat they were in the past 2 decades trying to find a QB.

I don't know. I just don't trust Mayfield. I would go with what is behind door #2. Big choice coming for the Browns. They can wait it out for another two years, though.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't know. I just don't trust Mayfield. I would go with what is behind door #2. Big choice coming for the Browns. They can wait it out for another two years, though.

I trust Mayfield a lot more than I trust what’s behind door number two. If he continues to play steady and the Browns make the playoffs it’s going to be a pretty easy decision for them to re-sign him. The only tricky part is if he starts asking for $40 million per. I don’t see any team in the league paying him that unless he has a big year and the Browns go deep in the playoffs.

RonWashington

Reaction score

Didn’t they give up 47 points to the Chargers today . Maybe defense is more the issue.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Didn’t they give up 47 points to the Chargers today . Maybe defense is more the issue.

Well, it might be tough to fix the defense if they have to pay the QB $40M/year. Leaves less for defensive FAs and makes hitting on draft picks a must.