News: JG to alter sideline operation

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has changed the sideline operation for Sunday's game against the New York Giants so that he will have direct contact with quarterback Tony Romo on the field as in previous seasons, according to a league source.

Garrett, however, will continue to have offensive coordinator Bill Callahan call the plays. The change will also provide Garrett greater control of the play-calling as he can more easily make changes before delivering to Romo to call in the huddle.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson will be relocated from the sideline to the upstairs coaching booth to assist Callahan in reading coverages.

More: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ach-dallas-cowboys-changes-sideline-structure

Last edited by a moderator:

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Would like to know how many times Garrett overrules Callahan (not that we'll ever find out).

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Phew! I feel better now, all is fixed

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgntgXstdOjuIx9YQbFVSS3JX67ADNLlocvcIB09cegqlEAi9e

Well, at least we're trying something different.

P.S. Love the sign.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
wileedog, post: 5311501, member: 103"]So what's the over/under on delay of game penalties tomorrow?

Yea as If we werent already pushing the envelope on ever play with the play clock. This should be fun to watch.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Phew! I feel better now, all is fixed

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgntgXstdOjuIx9YQbFVSS3JX67ADNLlocvcIB09cegqlEAi9e

Speaking of "The Big Bang Theory".......did everybody hear Sheldon reference Leon Lett in this past Thursday's episode?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I remember when some of the ardent Garrett-ites tried to argue this summer that Jason never really wanted to call plays and that Jerry forced him to when he hired him.

It was as stupid then as it is now, when he's obviously dying to be back in the play-calling mix. That's what he's always done and what he wants to do.

And frankly, as head coach, if that's what he wants to do he should be able to do it. And when it fails he should be fired.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Speaking of "The Big Bang Theory".......did everybody hear Sheldon reference Leon Lett in this past Thursday's episode?

Sheldon(Jim) is a Cowboy and Rockets fan, especially basketball. He was in the pledge class behind me and I used to haze him a bit :D

Pi Kappa Alpha at UH, think it was 1994-spring. I was the intramurals leader and we always dragged him out of his dorm early Sat mornings to play the insignificant sports like tennis, bowling, badminton, etc.

He was a shy guy but cool and I had no idea he was gay until my wife told me two years ago..................

jerry-and-george.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has changed the sideline operation for Sunday's game against the New York Giants so that he will have direct contact with quarterback Tony Romo on the field as in previous seasons, according to a league source.

Garrett, however, will continue to have offensive coordinator Bill Callahan call the plays. The change will also provide Garrett greater control of the play-calling as he can more easily make changes before delivering to Romo to call in the huddle.

The Cowboys made the changes during their bye week.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson will be relocated from the sideline to the upstairs coaching booth to assist Callahan in reading coverages. Until now, Callahan called the plays upstairs and relayed them to Wilson on the sideline and he communicated them to Romo. League rules forbid coaches from communicating with players directly from anywhere except the sideline.

With Wilson upstairs, Garrett will now take the call from Callahan and -- presuming he doesn't change it -- tell the quarterback through the the equipment in Romo's helmet.

I'm surprised that they didn't do it this way originally. It seems like a good change.

IMO, they should have hired David Lee to be the QB coach. He was hired this season to by the NYJ to be their QB coach.

Romo made statements several years ago that the person that he learned the most from was Lee. Romo said he learned more from Lee than from Sean Payton.

Wade Wilson does not seem like a coach that would get hired by another NFL team.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yea as If we werent already pushing the envelope on ever play with the play clock. This should be fun to watch.

More times than not, the reason for that isn't the playcall.. its because Tony thinks he's Peyton Manning and tries to make all these adjustments before the snap.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sheldon(Jim) is a Cowboy and Rockets fan, especially basketball. He was in the pledge class behind me and I used to haze him a bit :D

I should add that he was a Cowboys fan back then, not sure where he stands today. He was never passionate for them but followed them due to us being mostly Dallas fans.

I distinctly remembering him jumping up for joy while we watched Dallas beat Pitt in the SuperBowl at the frat house.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Here’s an idea. How about Callahan call the plays from the sidelines and use those little photos to read coverages? I mean my goodness. The play call probably starts with a deep pass to Bryant and by time it gets to Romo its turned into corner post to Hanna.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No kidding. Just what Romo needs: two guys yapping inhis ear.

If I am not mistaken, Wilson will no longer be calling plays into Romo's helmet. Garrett will be on the mic with Romo and Wilson will be upstairs assisting Callahan. You cannot communicate directly from upstairs.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Anybody else thinking what I am thinking?

That this is basically Garrett taking play calling back over from Callahan without having to publicly do it. You say Callahan is going to be calling the play down to Garrett and then Garrett decides what to call into Romo. Seems like it is Garrett just taking play calling back over and not wanting to embarrass Callahan by demoting him in public. Does anybody think Garrett is not going to change the play call at all from Callahan? He is just going to relay the call into Romo. You dont need your head coach to do that , anybody could just repeat the call.

I think Garrett is going to be doing a hell of alot more than just repeating what Callahan said...............................and I dont have a problem with this either, if we dont make the playoffs he is fired.........go down on your own terms.