Jimmy Johnson hasn’t heard from Jerry Jones other than statement

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It wasn't the credit from Jimmy Jerry was seeking. It was the national perception of who got credit and all the spotlight fell on Jimmy. Jerry wanted the world to see him as a football man with a large hand in the teams success. There are stories about the Cowboys war room where Jerry aggressively attempted to cultivate an image of being the teams decision maker...............as when he seated himself at the head of the war room table in the first televised NFL draft and instructed the coaches to make it look like he was the one in charge making the decisions. It was a complete farce. The whole world knew Jimmy Johnson was the one drafting the players.

It is not the job of a HC to be a "nice person". The best coaches in NFL history from Lombardi to Belechek are control freaks. Thats not even close to being a legitimate criticism.
you missed the point, I was referring to after they had won the 2nd SB mainly, if Jimmy wanted to go for the 3rd he
could have but didnt want to, and he just admitted he did not consider how his players felt about it or what they wanted.
Jimmy was only going to be here a short time, and it wasnt like he didnt know jerry and how he is, when he took the job.
He could have let jerry look like he was in charge during the draft, what does it hurt? nothing but ego.

Then later he could write a book and tell all what really happened. but instead he just left.
And he did his best to insult jerry so jerry would want him to leave and buy out his contract.

If I took a job with a guy like jerry, I would know what to expect, and have a plan on how to do the job and deal with jerry.
I would have to set my own ego aside to do that, and jimmy would not do that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you missed the point, I was referring to after they had won the 2nd SB mainly, if Jimmy wanted to go for the 3rd he
could have but didnt want to, and he just admitted he did not consider how his players felt about it or what they wanted.
Jimmy was only going to be here a short time, and it wasnt like he didnt know jerry and how he is, when he took the job.
He could have let jerry look like he was in charge during the draft, what does it hurt? nothing but ego.

Then later he could write a book and tell all what really happened. but instead he just left.
And he did his best to insult jerry so jerry would want him to leave and buy out his contract.

If I took a job with a guy like jerry, I would know what to expect, and have a plan on how to do the job and deal with jerry.
I would have to set my own ego aside to do that, and jimmy would not do that.

I'm not sure where you get your info. Read and learn.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0191215-cvp5pjvdjrb3hmhlmu6a7qivpm-story.html

There was no plan for him to leave after the 93' super bowl season. But Jerry got drunk and insulted him and that was the final straw. The fact he did not consider the players feelings is irrelevant other than to further bolster claims that he had enough of Jerry.

Jimmy DID let Jerry have his war room charade. That didn't make him mad. He turned into a punchline to make fun of Jerry behind his back with his buddies. Jimmy never took Jerry seriously until he uttered that now infamous 500 coaches boast.

He didn't write a book b/c he signed a non-disclosure as part of his divorce from the team. He doesn't have any ill will toward Jerry b/c he's been vindicated. Jerry is still resentful b/c Jimmy basically proved who was responsible for those Super Bowls by leaving and watching it implode for the last 25 years.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Kaiser

Reaction score
Jerry is still resentful b/c Jimmy basically proved who was responsible for those Super Bowls by leaving and watching it implode for the last 25 years.

Yeah, Jimmy really proved it by winning all those Super Bowls with the Dolphins.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Egos aside, a coach is no different than any other walk of life. You drive yourself that hard, you burn yourself out. You have to rest, and then go back at it with another challenge.

Notice the first thing Jimmy said after being recognized was it felt nice because people just don't understand how hard him and the coaches work?

Props to Belichick and the guys who last a long time, but I can see why Parcells, Jimmy, and some of the more intense coaches go team to team.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Gee, I wonder if Jimmy made a personal call to Jerry when he got in. What do you guys think?!
Didn't even mention his name when he was told. He thanked all the players and coaches he worked with, but not one word about Jerry.

That said, this doesn't seem like something Jimmy volunteered. He was asked, and responded curtly.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you get your info. Read and learn.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0191215-cvp5pjvdjrb3hmhlmu6a7qivpm-story.html

There was no plan for him to leave after the 93' super bowl season. But Jerry got drunk and insulted him and that was the final straw. The fact he did not consider the players feelings is irrelevant other than to further bolster claims that he had enough of Jerry.

Jimmy DID let Jerry have his war room charade. That didn't make him mad. He turned into a punchline to make fun of Jerry behind his back with his buddies. Jimmy never took Jerry seriously until he uttered that now infamous 500 coaches boast.

He didn't write a book b/c he signed a non-disclosure as part of his divorce from the team. He doesn't have any ill will toward Jerry b/c he's been vindicated. Jerry is still resentful b/c Jimmy basically proved who was responsible for those Super Bowls by leaving and watching it implode for the last 25 years.
Ok I read that, and copied it lol.
That is a little different than what I had read. It is 2nd hand disclosure though lol.
I knew about the non disclosure deal, but forgot about it.
Still though jimmy could have blown that off and controlled his own temper, and go for # 3.
Jimmy let his own ego and temper get the best of him and killed his chance at something special.

If jerry had said that and acted like that sober it would have been worse, but being really drunk, heck people
say and do incredibly stupid things.
And I am not saying Jimmy should have kept working for jerry very long, just long enough to see if you could get # 3 and if you do that go for # 4, and when it ends then quit.
And even in this, what made jerry mad was he felt jimmy insulted him, or acted like hey your not my friend.
But whatever, they both screwed up.
Jerry is a little like ray crocker the founder of mcdonalds, did you see that movie with Michael Keaton about how
mcdonalds was started? Great movie, and Krocker held a grudge against the real creators of mcdonalds
and screwed them, then ran them out of business. That is similar to jerry and the ring of honor thing.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I read that, and copied it lol.
That is a little different than what I had read. It is 2nd hand disclosure though lol.
I knew about the non disclosure deal, but forgot about it.
Still though jimmy could have blown that off and controlled his own temper, and go for # 3.
Jimmy let his own ego and temper get the best of him and killed his chance at something special.

If jerry had said that and acted like that sober it would have been worse, but being really drunk, heck people
And I am not saying Jimmy should have kept working for jerry very long, just long enough to see if you could get # 3 and if you do that go for # 4, and when it ends then quit.
And even in this, what made jerry mad was he felt jimmy insulted him, or acted like hey your not my friend.
But whatever, they both screwed up.
Jerry is a little like ray crocker the founder of mcdonalds, did you see that movie with Michael Keaton about how
mcdonalds was started? Great movie, and Krocker held a grudge against the real creators of mcdonalds
and screwed them, then ran them out of business. That is similar to jerry and the ring of honor thing.

Well, I think the 500 coaches statement was just the final absurdity he was willing to endure. Jimmy is a hot tempered man. Thats how he lived and thats how he coached. But, he wasn't an angry drunk like Jerry. He wasn't angry for no reason or trying to take credit for something he didn't do.

Kaiser

Reaction score

To me that whole story reads like nonsense, and one guy in Orlando wouldn't be the one who knew the secret. Think about the scenario and what you would have to believe -

Jimmy and Jerry are friends in college. Jerry never gets drunk and says something stupid.

Jimmy and Jerry are friends for 20 years after college. Jerry never gets drunk and says something stupid.

Jimmy leaves a top college job to work for Jerry for five years. Jerry never gets drunk and says something stupid.

Then one night Jerry gets drunk and says something stupid. Jimmy slaps him with a white silk glove and says "You, Sir, have crossed the line!".

I don't buy that for a second, Jerry had been drunk and doing stupid stuff for decades prior to Jimmy quitting.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No surprise

Pretty crazy Lurie congratulates him but not Jerry personally

In public Jimmy and Jerry are friendly around each other but there’s still some hard feelings between the two.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember two or three years ago Jerry was asked if he was going to put Jimmy in the ROH and he wouldn’t commit to it. He pretty much danced around the question and you could tell that he’s never going to add Jimmy to the ROH. It wasn’t a pleasant break up between the two at the end of the 93 season. There’s still some wounds festering that will never heal from that. Like I mentioned earlier in public they’re friendly around each other. Years ago there was an interview with both of them and they were laughing and joking but that’s in public.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-heard-from-jerry-jones-other-than-statement/

Jimmy Johnson made a point when he named some of the people he has heard from since being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020.

“Oh, I’ve gotten so many it’s hard to say [who was most special to hear from],” Johnson said Tuesday during the Fox Sports news conference. “Jeffery Lurie from the Eagles. Dean Spanos from the LA Chargers. Several owners. Of course, former players. Michael Irvin, Emmitt [Smith], on and on. It’s been great.”

The obvious name he didn’t mention was Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

“No, I haven’t heard anything,” Johnson said, not elaborating.

Jones released a statement through the team congratulating his former teammate, coach and friend the day of the announcement and now faces pressure to put Johnson in the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor.

Jones and Johnson are the team’s only Hall of Famers not in the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor.

Johnson’s tenure in Dallas, of course, ended badly. After back-to-back Super Bowls, Johnson and Jones agreed to disagree . . . and to part ways.

“It was the right thing because I was ready to move on,” Johnson said. “I’ve never second-guessed myself on the ending. For me, it was never a bad thing. I was happy to move on with my life.”

Johnson, though, revealed that he later found out some of his former Cowboys players were not happy with him over his departure. The Cowboys didn’t three-peat and won only one other championship before the team of the 1990s fell apart, and many believe they should have become the dynasty the Patriots now are.

“Troy [Aikman] had dinner with me many years ago, and I didn’t realize how angry some of the players were,” Johnson said. “I thought they would have understood, but they didn’t understand. It hit me one night at dinner at my house that, geez, the players that I love are angry that I left. I said, ‘If they only knew.’ I was ready to move on. I felt bad about that, and I feel bad about that to this day for them. I don’t feel bad for me.”
#FakeJerry

Cmac

Reaction score
Hasn't 8-8 and constant underachievement taught Jerry humbleness yet?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jimmy proved in Miami that he was the only man responsible for the SB wins ?

Coincidently, cowboys won another SB without Jimmy . With an 'average' coach .

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember two or three years ago Jerry was asked if he was going to put Jimmy in the ROH and he wouldn’t commit to it. He pretty much danced around the question and you could tell that he’s never going to add Jimmy to the ROH. It wasn’t a pleasant break up between the two at the end of the 93 season. There’s still some wounds festering that will never heal from that. Like I mentioned earlier in public they’re friendly around each other. Years ago there was an interview with both of them and they were laughing and joking but that’s in public.
I wonder if winning a SB now, without any help from Jimmy, would be enough for Jerry to finally put his name up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wonder if winning a SB now, without any help from Jimmy, would be enough for Jerry to finally put his name up.

No, that won’t make up for the wounds that are still festering between Jerry and Jimmy. I’m sure Jerry feels the Cowboys would have won a lot more Super Bowls had Jimmy not rocked the boat and wanted out. He’s still bitter.

ICP

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would expect any different from an egomaniac like Jerry